How do you fix bad USB Pass Throughs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had to of them fail on me now. They are Pen styles from Puresmoker if that makes a difference.

My first one stopped working after about a week. The symtoms were, no light whatsoever. BTW, they are sending me out a new one.

My second one will work intermitendly. I take a hit and it works, I take another hit and it doesn't. I let it sit for a few minutes and it works for one more hit, then it won't.

Ok, now it's working again, about 5 hits in a row???????????????????

My vaping habit is as follows, if this helps: when sitting around, I have the unit laying on it's side. While out and about, I have it battery pointing down. Throughout the day, I have a good balance between the two methods.

At night, I disconnect the atomizer and stand it up, battery end up and pass through, atomizer end down.

Ok, it's not working again??????????????????????????????

Any help on maintainence or repair woul be greatly appreciated. Steve cannot afford to keep replacing these things.

Paul

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Sounds like bad/broken wires to me. My 901 did the same - it wouldn't work unless I jiggled the wire right where it went into the cig.

I ending up popping the lighted end cap out and sure enough, one of the wires was nearly broken - it broke the rest of the way as I took it apart. I was able to fix it - there was enough wire left inside to connect to.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
I've gone through 2 already. Most of my problems seem to be where the cord connects to the LED. There is no rubber reinforcement on that end, but plenty on the usb end. I have one on life-support that will work if I"m standing on my right foot and hold my mouth just right.

As soon as I received the one I'm using now, I wrapped the cord upward and taped it to the body. I also took some industrial strength clear glue and used it to strengthen the connection to the LED. I think it will help extent the life of it. So far so good.

jimgman

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008
delaware
mine is working great after nearly 2 months.only problem i noticed(when it stopped working once), is that the usb dosnt fit tight or flush into usb ports, and can get a bad connection to the pc. obviously this is bad since you will be moving the wire around a lot to vape. i am just very careful when moving it around. try wiggling in the port a bit to see if that helps.

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
I "fixed" my passthrough by gutting to just a tube, then and buying a soldering iron and a manual switch from raido shack.
i had to shorten the original wire a length of a battery,but no biggie:)

then soldered the 2 wires back, incorporating the switch where the led was.

works great so far...

Mine just died today and I was wondering if you could go more in detail on how you did this. Perhaps post a link to what switch you used and/or a pic or two of the finished product? If you do decide to do this it would probably be best if you post it in the modders' section of the forum.

digitalmechanic

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
mine finally broke last night :( luckily i have a team member here that is amazing with electronics. she gutted the battery and noticed that the soldering job was crap, but considering how thin the wire is it's not surprising. Also a switch was added as she pointed out that the reed switch will fail eventually.

she also gave me some removable heat sinks to wrap around the atomizer to keep it cool.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
mine finally broke last night :( luckily i have a team member here that is amazing with electronics. she gutted the battery and noticed that the soldering job was crap, but considering how thin the wire is it's not surprising. Also a switch was added as she pointed out that the reed switch will fail eventually.

she also gave me some removable heat sinks to wrap around the atomizer to keep it cool.
digital, you provide more detail about the switch she added and removable heat sinks? Pictures would be most appreciated. I've just ordered one and want to make it as "break proof" as possible.

Thanks,

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, mine just went out on me today as well (puresmoker 901 passthrough). It's been acting funny for a while now and now it's dead. For me, it was the switch that gave out. I guess I'll save it for when I get brave and start modding things. I have another one on order. I'm kind of bummed because I expected the passthrough to outlast my batteries rather than being the first one to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread