Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
A lot of folks find that when they're quitting cigs and starting to vape, that they vape A LOT. Like non-stop.
And the fact is, most of us think THAT'S OK. If it gets you off cigarettes - a little nicotine is not especially harmful, compared to all the crap you are NOT combusting and inhaling.
If you get too much nicotine, you'll feel queasy, or dizzy, or both (sounds fun, right?).
But on the other hand, you SHOULD know the nicotine level you are vaping.

I started on 24 mg nic, which is considered quite strong, but I didn't care, and I stopped smoking with no trouble. Heck, I wasn't even planning on quitting cigs, I just didn't like them anymore once I got a decent vape. That's a little unusual.

I only later cut back the nic, just to see what would happen.
Nothing happened.

Good luck, hope you're enjoying it, and as I said - it's not unusual to vape quite a bit...

Oh - it also depends on the equipment you are using!
Many people start with 18 mg nic in things like a clearomizer, but 18 mg would be a pretty strong hit in a "dripper" or another low-ohms device. Those just seem to deliver more of a "hit" - both in terms of flavor and nicotine.

Reactions: nck

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Or figure that, depending on the efficiency of your setup, you'll be absorbing anywhere from ~30% of the nicotine per ml vaped with cigalikes, all the way to 80% with high end, efficient, high wattage devices.

Most people start somewhere between 12 and 24 mg/ml and take it from there. It's good to have different strengths on hand at the beginning, so you can customize you intake, for instance, stronger nic in the morning, lower at the end of the day.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I wanted to vape pretty much constantly when I was first quitting, and even though I smoked a pk a day, they were ultra-lights -- for over 20 yrs I smoked those ultra-lights, so I found even 12mg too strong; I had to get 6mg so I could vape all the time and not get nauseous. Now I can vape 11mg pretty much as much as I want, but I don't go around with my mod attached to my hand constantly, as I did at first.

My very first signal that I've had too much nicotine feels like tiny sharp knives stabbing all over my abdomen; if I ignore that, the very next thing is nausea, which to me is a fate worse than death, so I pay attention if I get the sharp stabby pains -- it kinda feels like a gas attack, really sharp, kinda all over the whole abdominal area.

But everyone is different; some pk a day smokers need 24mg or 18mg.

Welcome to a whole new world -- it's a blast! :thumbs:

Andria

LondonGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
London, UK
You might benefit from having a couple of setups with different strengths on hand: one for general use, and the stronger one for when you get strong cravings.

I used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day and started on 18mg. I dropped to 12 after about a month with no difficulties, but going lower than that is proving more difficult even after 9 months. But nicotine by itself is not really very harmful so I'm not worried about it.

If you're beyond the first couple of weeks and still wanting to use it all the time, then you might want to try a higher nic level for now. Whether you try to wean down later is up to you, the important thing is you are off the cigarettes.

Cazzie

Dec 18, 2014
Havant, Hants, UK
Thank you for advice, I have been started on 10mg by the man in the shop, which seems fine apart from first thing so may get a little stronger for then, not sure what my equipment is cos dont quite understand all that yet, but getting there, just got a basic starter kit, as it seems to be working for me now gonna get a better and nicer set up, and will be turning here as well as my friend for advice to do that, its only been a week but feel so much better and it seems to be working. And sorry for misspell in heading, had just come in from night shift so was half asleep lol

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Hi Cazzie, welcome to the forum :)

You've gotten some good advice here that should at least give you a good idea of where to start. Ultimately, though, it will all come down to how much nicotine is enough to satisfy you since every person is different and will have different needs, even when coming from similar backgrounds.

For me, personally, as a pack to pack and a half a day smoker I tried 24 at first and the throat hit was too much. 18 was my sweet spot and I stuck with it ever since

I hope your search goes smoothly and you find where you need to be with little hassle. Good luck! :)

When I switch from analogs to digitals, I was only smoking 3-6 a day, so I got 12 nic juices. After a couple months of vaping I decided to go up to 18 nic, it gives you that "first cigarette of the day morning buzz" that I always liked, but it is really strong and can sometimes be a bit much, though I know people that use higher nic juices as well. I'd say 12 was a good starting point, if you find yourself wanting more or constantly vaping, you probably need higher, but if it is a bit too strong and you find yourself not using it too often, you could probably go down.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Well guy in shop gave me 10 nic juice, and I seemed to be vaping a lot, but its calmed down now, but am thinking of getting a stronger one just for first thing cos do find that the hardest, so thanks again everyone for advice

I did that, my first few months vaping; just to get past my "morning smoke" habit, I'd vape 12mg for about an hour after getting up, then go back to my 9-10mg after I was "over the hump." After a while, it didn't seem to matter much, so I just stuck with my 10mg all the time; then, one day when I was vaping 11mg in the morning so I could get satisfied with less vaping, to placate my asthma, I thought, why not do this all the time? And it seems to work, at 11mg or 11.5mg, I don't seem to need to vape so constantly, which works out much better for my asthma.

Andria

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Well guy in shop gave me 10 nic juice, and I seemed to be vaping a lot, but its calmed down now, but am thinking of getting a stronger one just for first thing cos do find that the hardest, so thanks again everyone for advice

Don't worry about how much you vape, you will probably settle in after a pretty short period. But I also would recommend some higher-strength juice, particularly for when you find the vape isn't satisfying.

You should know that withdrawal from cigarettes is NOT a linear process. What might work fine for the first week might leave you suddenly and desperately craving on the third week. Having some of the strong stuff around can literally be a lifesaver if it gets you through the more difficult periods.

Oh, welcome to ECF! Glad to have you here!

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
Hi Cazzie, welcome to the forum :)

You've gotten some good advice here that should at least give you a good idea of where to start. Ultimately, though, it will all come down to how much nicotine is enough to satisfy you since every person is different and will have different needs, even when coming from similar backgrounds.

For me, personally, as a pack to pack and a half a day smoker I tried 24 at first and the throat hit was too much. 18 was my sweet spot and I stuck with it ever since

I hope your search goes smoothly and you find where you need to be with little hassle. Good luck! :)

I find similarities with this. I started a week ago at 24 and the throat hit was too much for me. I keep a tank of 24, coffee flavored juice (Good Life 925) just for my wake and vape. I now use 12 throughout the day since I love the flavor. I'm thinking about dropping down to 6 or 9 since I don't really chase the nic buzz, but crave the flavor and vapor now.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I usually tell people who are regular smokers to start at 12mg. That's enough for a lot of people. It's also not likely to be too much or too little, so it leaves room to move up and down without getting frustrated with the experience. I started at 12, it was okay, I moved to 18 and it was perfect.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I usually tell people who are regular smokers to start at 12mg. That's enough for a lot of people. It's also not likely to be too much or too little, so it leaves room to move up and down without getting frustrated with the experience. I started at 12, it was okay, I moved to 18 and it was perfect.

At this point, I'm wondering if the nausea I experienced at first, with 12mg, wasn't the nicotine but the actual juice -- Halo Turkish. I've read of others feeling nauseous after vaping Halo juice, and I am in fact vaping about 11mg-11.5mg now, all the time -- and I was only using an eRoll then, not exactly a cloud machine. These days I use Kayfuns, yet have no problems with that 11-11.5mg.

Andria

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day:

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

This is the best list to go by. If you're weening off nicotine altogether, juices are also available in 3mg, 1mg, and 0.

zyglow

Nov 2, 2014
Houston, TX
I've tried quitting through various NRT methods so I figured out how I feel when my nicotine level is "good" or when I've had too much. I was smoking a PAD of Marlboro Lights and after one or two toots on a vape at 12mg I was at my "good" limit. I like vaping so I switched to 6mg so I could get a happy medium between chemical and physical satisfaction.

All in all I think you have to find what works for you.

wjosephsimmons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
City of Angels
I started at 24mg/ml over a year ago, and I'm still at that same level. Never had any significant cravings; maybe just a little after a month or two of vaping, but not enough to make me ever go back to tobacco. But I was "only" smoking 15-20 roll-your-own smokes a day prior to this. Maybe I was getting more nic because they were filterless.

I think it's useful to remember that the higher the PG level of the mix, the throat hit is greater, too. VG reduces the flavor a bit, but also the throat hit, so I've settled for six or more months now on 24mg/ml, 80%VG/20%PG mix and it seems just right.

I have read that you normally consume about 1 mg of nicotine per tobacco cigarette, so you can adjust your nic level based on your previous rate of tobacco intake. If you vape a higher nic level, you will naturally vape less. I vape up to about 2 mls a day of 24mg/ml on average, so according to that estimate, I consume up to about 48 mgs of nicotine a day! Seems like alot but I don't experience any adverse effects. And analogs are a thing of the past :) Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread