How do you like your 601?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosin

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Highland, CA
So, after a few days with my 601, I can basically concur with everything I've read here. It's an absolutely beautiful machine... I love the weight of it, the qualityof the wood, and the overall kit (minus the charger, which is very flimsy). It seems as though EM took a test puff on it with the included "tob" cart (unless they prime with drops of it) which to me tasted disgusting. vaping my 555 through that crap is still in process.

Faults are what I expected after reading most of this subforum....primarily juice delivery. The carts suck up an insane amount of liquid, but don't deliver that juice consistently. I tried a small drill hole in the back of one cart, which soon flooded, and had me trying to angle/balance the pipe at different angles... not optimal.

Right now I am actually having the best luck just dripping without a cart, as I can hear any gurgling caused by too much juice and angle it up/back to get a great vape, and as it dries out, angle it down/forward to get a great vape. Thus, aside from having to do the dripping, I'm finally getting great vapes! :thumb: I guess old-school tobacco pipe smokers used to have to mess with their tobacco, bowls and stems all the time (humidifying, filling, tamping, ashing, scraping, resin cleaning) so I'm trying to look at it as simulating the OG pipe smoking ritual/s.

My only concern at this point is that this is already an ancient model/design (I have seen posts on it from late 2008...which is the paleolithic era of vaping) and that the self-juicing, great tasting, drainable, atty changable, auto/manual select "DSE 1601 E-Pizipe" will be released any day now. I guess that's as much a concern as a wish. ;)

Last edited:

Allan

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
NJ
I've had mine for a 2-3 weeks and loved (yes, ed) it. Last week it started to come and go, sometimes needing a gentle slap to start, then it would be fine for that session. Next use, same thing, slap and go. When it was working though, it was great. I loved driving and just light puffs with an occasional long vapor inducing drag, good stuff.

Then, today happened. I grabbed it while driving, full cart and charged battery and: NOTHING. No matter what I did, NOTHING. What bothers me is that to replace the atomizer you are for all practical purposes, replacing the pipe. At $30.00 +/-, it gets pricey. I came onto the the forum to see if any one has had any luck at dismantling the 601 pipe and repairing it.

I will say, that when it was working I absolutely loved it. Decent flavor, great vapor and depending on the liquid, good throat hit. I am very disappointed in the internal quality which sucks as the outside is great. I have to question quality control, but that goes for most of the vaping equipment, in my opinion.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Does anyone know what would cause the "bowl" to develope a split in it? I dont remember dropping it or anything...Also there is a taste that appeared that reminds me a glue burning...has anyone experienced this?

It is only about a month old...:(

Loose liquid running around in the bottom of the bowl will both settle and dry AND damage the wood.
My suggestion is the drain it and rinse it with some of the suggestions found on this forum, and whenever you see a crack begin- fill it with superglue and let it cure for an hour or two (overnight is better) before using it again!

Twister

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Conley, GA
Hi Allan, Got your PM but thought I would answer you here since I'm sure there are others with the same questions. The vacuum switch is mounted right behind the atty, so any excess fluid would go right to it and then to the bowl. Draining every night and storing in the drain position seems to be very important. I have done a rebuild/conversion but not what I would call a complete success yet. A couple of others have had good results, even converting to a switched manual instead of the vacuum switch. There are some pretty good step by step instructions around here. Check out the atty mod section. I have read the Carlos will sometimes rebuild them for a price. Might be worth PMing him. I think you said you found the bowl for $30+/-. Makes me wonder if you have found some of the cheaper made copies. Check out http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-coil-101-actual-working-methods-only.html Vaporer has some real good info on rebuild. Just search for his posts and Calos49 http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/atomizer-mods/30142-601-e-pipe-rebuild.html This should give you info overload for a while but it is really good info. Check it out and give me a holler if I can help.

I've had mine for a 2-3 weeks and loved (yes, ed) it. Last week it started to come and go, sometimes needing a gentle slap to start, then it would be fine for that session. Next use, same thing, slap and go. When it was working though, it was great. I loved driving and just light puffs with an occasional long vapor inducing drag, good stuff.

Then, today happened. I grabbed it while driving, full cart and charged battery and: NOTHING. No matter what I did, NOTHING. What bothers me is that to replace the atomizer you are for all practical purposes, replacing the pipe. At $30.00 +/-, it gets pricey. I came onto the the forum to see if any one has had any luck at dismantling the 601 pipe and repairing it.

I will say, that when it was working I absolutely loved it. Decent flavor, great vapor and depending on the liquid, good throat hit. I am very disappointed in the internal quality which sucks as the outside is great. I have to question quality control, but that goes for most of the vaping equipment, in my opinion.

I love my DSE601 pipe, and I use it a lot. However, I think the atomizer is a problem. I've used 2 for 2 months and both are burned out. I have now ordered 4 new atomizers from dse-ecigarette.com. The price $29.95 each.

At the same time, I must admit, I have ordered a Ruyan pipe with 2 years warranty. In the long run the Ruyan pipe, I think, is not more expensive in use, and can use the same cartidges and batteris as the DSE601.

dse-ecigarette.com have very fine prices. I got dse601 atomizers for $29.90.

As mentioned I bought 4. One of them was scratched and burned out after 3hrs; but they will send me a new one, after I have the retruned mine.

So not so bad. I will definitely buy from them again.

Now hoping for them to send the new one, before they got mine back. Else it could take a very long time to get the new.

As mentioned, I also bought a Ruyan Pipe. A very nice pipe with a lot of taste but not so much vapor as the DSE601. So I will still use DSE601 for daily use.

Twister

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Conley, GA
Glad to hear you got good service. I have heard that the Ruyan produces less vapor but does not mute flavors like the 601. Any opinion on that?

As mentioned I bought 4. One of them was scratched and burned out after 3hrs; but they will send me a new one, after I have the retruned mine.

Now hoping for them to send the new one, before they got mine back. Else it could take a very long time to get the new.

As mentioned, I also bought a Ruyan Pipe. A very nice pipe with a lot of taste but not so much vapor as the DSE601. So I will still use DSE601 for daily use.

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
not many people own a 601....maybe its a conservative piece of equipment :)

i dont know...i just want one.....large cart...better battery....ton of vapor...looks classic

i was hoping mine would come in today so i can do my initial review this weekend...sadly not here :(

Asidrave...Where would you order one of these? I'm very interested in one:cool:

Update-I found loads of kits @ des-ecig. I placed an order, I will let you guys know how it went.

Last edited:

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010

Dane...Do you know what type battery the pipe takes? I'd like to get some spares. Also..any news on the new model dse 1601/pizipe? Thanks in advance!!;)

Dane...Do you know what type battery the pipe takes? I'd like to get some spares. Also..any news on the new model dse 1601/pizipe? Thanks in advance!!;)

I bought some spares from Ebay. Search "Ultrafire 18350". Mine price was $28 for 4 pcs. 1200mAh and one 1 double charger.

I don't know anything about a new model. Where have you seen it?

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
So, after a few days with my 601, I can basically concur with everything I've read here. It's an absolutely beautiful machine... I love the weight of it, the qualityof the wood, and the overall kit (minus the charger, which is very flimsy). It seems as though EM took a test puff on it with the included "tob" cart (unless they prime with drops of it) which to me tasted disgusting. Vaping my 555 through that crap is still in process.

Faults are what I expected after reading most of this subforum....primarily juice delivery. The carts suck up an insane amount of liquid, but don't deliver that juice consistently. I tried a small drill hole in the back of one cart, which soon flooded, and had me trying to angle/balance the pipe at different angles... not optimal.

Right now I am actually having the best luck just dripping without a cart, as I can hear any gurgling caused by too much juice and angle it up/back to get a great vape, and as it dries out, angle it down/forward to get a great vape. Thus, aside from having to do the dripping, I'm finally getting great vapes! :thumb: I guess old-school tobacco pipe smokers used to have to mess with their tobacco, bowls and stems all the time (humidifying, filling, tamping, ashing, scraping, resin cleaning) so I'm trying to look at it as simulating the OG pipe smoking ritual/s.

My only concern at this point is that this is already an ancient model/design (I have seen posts on it from late 2008...which is the paleolithic era of vaping) and that the self-juicing, great tasting, drainable, atty changable, auto/manual select "DSE 1601 E-Pizipe" will be released any day now. I guess that's as much a concern as a wish. ;)

Above Dane...Mosin mentions DSE-1601 E-Pizipe...Maybe he can ring in?

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I got my 601 from ARLO Electric Smoking Products. They also sell blank carts, batteries, replacement attys (the whole bowl). They're right here in my home town of Dallas, Texas, but once I ordered a box of blank carts and an extra battery and they came straight from China. The second time I ordered blank carts, they came in 2 days. I guess they stocked up on parts.

I didn't do the full 12 hour charge on one of the batteries and it won't hold a charge as long as the two I got with the original pipe. But they still last a heck of a lot longer than any e-cig battery. The batteries are 3.7 volt.

Ed.

Treadmaker

Apr 4, 2010
illinois
I received my Pipe 601 last week straight fron Shenzen China. The charger it came with wasn't working, it only lit up with the green- fully charged indicator even when the pipe LEDS would indicate low-voltage battery warnings. The pipe did work and amazingly well; i just couldnt use it very long with no way of recharging the special IRC18350 lithium ions. So I went ahead and and ordered another pipe 601 starter kit along with 50 cherry flavored atomized cartridges and 30 mls of liquid cherry for dripping and received those about 10 hours ago.

This charger works and I've been busy charging ever since, and vaping too. I do have a pair of 1200 mah and a 3rd charger enroute from HongKong but I feel confident with two functioning Pipe 601's and 4 900 mah batteries and plenty of cherry to vape plumes of warm blossoming PG to my hearts (dis-)content.
I've watched just about all the Pipe 601 video reviews over and over and feel satisfied with the pipes aestetics along with is functionality. I'll most certainly begin to stockpile atomizer bowls in the near future based on the reviews I've read but I like its form and function and am willing to tolerate its short lifespan as long as it contributes to keeping me away from packs of full flavored camels.

About 5 years ago I was piping with a corncon pipe and cherry tobacco but had to quit it because i was starting to wheeze something awful; the chemicals they put in pipe tobacco is so much worse than cigarette tobacco, so when I learned about all the pros and cons of the epipe I said to myself,..no wheezing I'm gonna jump in feet first.

DallasEd

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I bought some spares from Ebay. Search "Ultrafire 18350". Mine price was $28 for 4 pcs. 1200mAh and one 1 double charger.

I don't know anything about a new model. Where have you seen it?

Did the "button" on top of the battery cause any problems? The 3.7v batteries that came with my 601 have a dimple on top that fits the top contact.

Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread