How Do You Pacify Non-Smokers/Non-Vapers?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarettes in Public' started by paleocon12111971, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. paleocon12111971

paleocon12111971 Full Member

How do you assure them, if at all, that you are vaping an e-cigarette and not smoking an analog cigarette in an indoor public place? Honestly, we shouldn't have to prove anything to anybody, but for our own comfort, we often do things absentmindedly to help normalize a still fairly uncommon and yet highly stigmatized activity. For one, I usually tend to make sure that after I take a puff, the average bystander can still see my cig-a-like and notice that it's not burning like a regular cigarette would after a puff. I never try to hide my e-cig. If I'm in a restaurant and I intend to vape, it's always in my hand (which also helps with that whole sensory/fixation thing). I go out of my way to demonstrate that I'm not breaking any statewide laws. What kind of things, if anything, do you all do for the sake of non-smokers/non-vapers?

2. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

One little thing you can do is drop the device head first into a shirt pocket. Pretty soon, the shirt doesn't catch fire and they can draw their own conclusions.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got things pretty well figured out.

3. Laythor

Laythor Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    if i'm know i'm going to be vaping in an indoor public place i'll usually grab a higher PG liquid. less cloud, less hassle.

4. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's the main reason I don't use a cig alike, it takes a real bone head to mistake my EA Clone and IBTank for an analog.

5. Baldr

Baldr Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

When I first started vaping, I worried about that sort of thing. Now, I don't even think about it, I just vape.

What changed?

I think it's two things. One, there are more vapers around, with quite a few B&M vape shops in this area. And the bigger reason, I think, is that for two years I've been vaping in public and it's never been a big deal. After awhile, you quit worrying about it.

6. Archimedes

Archimedes Full Member

My thoughts exactly, when I first started vaping I had a few people mistake my cigalike for a clove cigarette. Soon upgraded to an eGo twist and that stopped happening and now I almost exclusively use mech mods (with a Kick 2 depending on what juice delivery I'm using)

7. SoCalAlchemy

SoCalAlchemy Full Member

If and when the FDA concludes some sound peer reviewed studies that conclude the safety of second hand vape, there will be no sound legal argument to enact laws banning it. If they did that, I would demand no farting outside designated fart zones or demand surgically installed catalytic converters on all people to save the planet from dangerous methane.

It is hysteria and not rational logic that is driving this issue.

8. Diogenes

Diogenes Moved On

I'm jealous. When I pull out my eGo Evod shorty, people say, "Hey, cool pen!" The best was the other night though. I pulled out my MVP with a Novi tank and was asked, "Is that a duck call?"

9. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

E-cigarettes are no big secret anymore.

Fast forward to the bottom line ...
    E-cigarettes are here to stay !!

Won't be too much longer before few vapers will even be concerned
    about pacifying non-smokers.
    :)

10. TafkanX

TafkanX Senior Member ECF Veteran

Honestly I have yet to actually have anybody give me any guff over them (though I was there when a friend of mine had a little tiff with some police officers at a high school football game... I guess maybe I'm just a bit more discreet than her so I flew under the radar). The most common question I get from strangers is, "Does that work?" And then I go into e-cig pitching mode and pass them a business card for my preferred B&M to get started.

The second most common comment I get (particularly from other vapors who are still using egos) is, "Holy bejeezus, that thing is enormous!" I love my SVD (yes, I carry it around in 18650 mode), which I endearingly refer to as my lightsaber :wub:

11. BillyWJ

BillyWJ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    The only thing I've been asked is "Is that for pot?"

12. supertrunker

supertrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If anyone confuses my Reo for a cigarette then they need an eye test. The worrying thing is they probably drove to the venue. :blink:

I vape in all public places and places that allow it. My work for example is happy with it.

What i do not do - is run around the supermarket cloud-chasing!

T

13. Mikeywolftm

Mikeywolftm Full Member

I got a lot more grief for "smoking" when I was using my eGo (even though it was hot pink!) until I'd put it in my pocket immediately after hitting it. Now that I have my MVP I don't get that question. Although I do get asked a lot more if there are "other substances: in it. *sigh* I always carry at least one bottle of liquid on me so I can show that to people when they ask me about that.

14. Jarbs

Jarbs Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i push the bottom end into their genitals and yell "SEE! IT DOESN'T BURN!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.