How Easy Was Switching to a Tobacco Alternative??

How easy was it to quit smoking by switching?

• Switched by accident, wasn't even trying.

• Took a little effort, but I did switch.

• Took a lot of effort, but I did switch.

• I have not switched altogether, but I'm working on it.

• I have no intention of ever giving up smoking.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Every approved "smoking cessation" treatment product/method requires you to give up nicotine. We all know how difficult that can be. How easy did you find it to stop inhaling smoke when you took up use of e-cigarettes or another smoke-free alternative (e.g. snus, dissolvables.)

Someone has pointed out that there is no category for
"quit on purpose with no effort"

Work around: If you wanted to quit and just switched with no problem, select the second option. Think of going out and buying the equipment and charging up the battery as your "very little effort."

Last edited by a moderator:

northwestfarmtn

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
Tn.
I had planned on slowly phasing out cigarettes and switching to an e-cig but when I recived my e-cig in the mail it was so easy to not smoke I still have the same 6 cigarettes left in the pack that I had 5 weeks ago. My last cigarette was when the mail man was bringing my e-cig to the door. at first there was some craving usually at night but I just used the e-cig and was able to concur my addiction to cigarettes and after 4 weeks I steped the nicotine level down from 18mg to 12mg and I feel after another week or 2 I will be ready to reduce it to 6mg. I probably could have started at 24mg nic level and wouldn't have had as bad of cravings at night. I smoked for 17-20 years 1-1.5 packs a day

arcturus

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
San Diego
No difficulty whatsoever. I also left my last unfinished pack on the table and it sat there for two weeks and went stale. I threw away all my remaining cigarette packs. It is still bizarre to consider how well vaping emulates the traditional smoking experience. I smoked 1 PAD for almost thirty years. I feel confident enough to say that I will never smoke again.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
The day I got my first ecig, I was determined to finish my last pack of smokes (because I'm cheap.) I took both to poker league and alternated throughout the evening. By the end of the night, I was dreading the cigarettes and only wanted to vape. I've never been so happy and relieved to finish a pack of smokes.

Granted, I ended up going back to smoking 2 weeks later for about a month after my kit died and I was waiting on a new kit, but once that showed up, I was done for good. Almost 3 years smoke free now.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Even my first over-priced, inferior mall e-cig kit showed me the potential that it had for replacing smoking. The only difficulty I had was in finding the right hardware and a liquid strength that would work for me (it was initially way too strong).

I had completely stopped smoking within 2 months and haven't looked back!

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Yikes: There is no way to edit the poll, only my OP. Suggestion (I will put this into edited OP as well). If you wanted to quit and just switched with no problem, select the second option. Think of going out and buying the equipment and charging up the battery as your "very little effort."

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
In case you are wondering why I created the poll, I found a post on a tobacco control discussion forum from a Professor in Australia:

I am looking for survey questions about how former smokers experienced the ease or difficulty of quitting. Something like this:

Q: Looking back on you finally quit smoking, would you describe what you went through as:

• Much harder than expected

• As hard as you expected

• Easier than you expected

• Much easier than you expected

So I thought I would create this poll and then share the results with him once we have a significant number of responses to the poll.

It would be interesting to compare our responses with the responses he gets from people who used other methods to quit.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
And for those who are interested in my response, I tried going with "no effort at all" but kept smoking more than I was vaping. Finally I decided that what I needed to do was clear the smoke out of my system and start from there. I was going to have a molar extracted and was told not to smoke for at least 48 hours after the surgery. I scheduled the procedure for a Friday so that I would not have to struggle thorough trying to drive (I'm a menace w/o nicotine) and trying to do decent work. My husband drove me to the oral surgeon's office and back.

I pretty much slept most of the next two days, even though I never filled the Rx I was given for Vicodin.

On that Sunday, I started vaping INSTEAD OF smoking and have 19 packs of extremely stale cigarettes to show for it. I'm keeping them around for the day that the FDA Center for Tobacco Products finally decides to meet with me, and I will take them in as a visual aid.

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
I was on Chantix, quit smoking after a few weeks on it, was climbing the walls and picked up a gas station e cig. I still haven't smoked, but the first week was really hard. I don't understand the science, and I am not a medical professional, but my understanding is that Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain. That may have played a part in the difficulty I had with STRONG cravings for the first week or so even though I was vaping. I tapered off of the Chantix and have been happily vaping ever since. I am one of the few who voted that it was difficult, but it might have been less so without the Chantix.

Sleddie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Sheboygan, WI
I guess I fall in the Took a little effort, but I did quit category. First week wasn't bad but the second week was sort of a nightmare, although it was mostly due to issues with the PV I was using at the time. After that though the rest was pretty much smooth sailing. Not sure if it helps me psychologically or not, but I still keep an ashtray full of butts in the basement that I play around with every so often. I line the butts up in a row and count out what each one would cost.

Bullmastiffguy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Trochu,Alberta
altavapes.com
Sooo easy. Started to vape Feb 20, and bought last pack Feb 18, and have had no urge to rush out and buy any analogs. Tried a drag off my wife's analog a couple of days ago, and it was gross. Hope she completely switches over soon, as I am finding the smell offensive. lol
I have no desire to switch back EVER............
;)

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
I chose the 'accidental' method for the poll because I actually had no intentions of quitting when I started vaping. In fact, I was dead set against it for the first 24 hours, and the only reason I started vaping was due to complaints from my non-smoking daughter, who hated smelling like smoke after riding in the car with my husband and I.

So in the car, I vaped. It was okay, although they were prefilled cartridges on a really crappy generic ecig model.

But then I got curious, stumbled across ECF, and got actually interested in vaping. A week later, I had good equipment. A few more weeks, and I wasn't smoking anymore. And now I've been clear of the cigarettes for almost three weeks, and the smell of burning tobacco causes me to make faces (you mean I actually smelled like THAT?).

I'd consider that accidental quitting, for sure. :)

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
The wife mentioned to me that a son of her friend quit with an e cig. Just piqued my curiosity for some reason.

Found a local flea market and a kind vendor loaded an Ego T for me. I went home and ordered an Ego C immediately. I would have bought from the vendor but he sold his last one while I was standing there. That day I discovered ECF. Well it all went downhill from there ;)

Received the device on a Tuesday. Without trying went from 20+ to 1 a day. After a week upped the nic from 12 to 18 and that is is it. Done.

The wife is still smoking and I really don't want to say it is kinda stinky really. I hated those ex smokers who pontificate and I am sooo close to doing that myself lol

I put down accidental. I was just curious and really wasn't expecting to end up as an ex smoker as the effort I have put in has been absolutely minimal. That is the thing about vaping. I have gained far more pleasure with playing with mods and carto's and atty's than I ever did smoking it has been a breeze.

I have been smoking for 43 years! God how awful that sounds when I see it in writing. Started at age 13. My dad started at age 5! No, thats not a typo...FIVE. Country boy he was. Was. cancer took him from us 12 years ago. I wanted to quit. tried everything legal that was available out there. NOTHING worked. the 1 time i did quit about 25 years ago was a disaster. gained 60 lbs in 6 months. since then I'd been afraid to try again but i did. failed everytime. started seeing this ecig thing and thought, maybe. researched it for a year. a whole darn year. got screwed by one of those ecig companies i heard about on the radio and thought, this sucks. why bother. then i discovered V4L. One of a few good ones I'd heard about. researched some more. finally bought the minimal started kit. alternated the ecig with a real cig for a few days to wrap my mind around it. I smoked my last cig November 5th 2011 and havent looked back since! Ecigs have totally changed my life. No longer to I avoid going places for fear i couldnt smoke. I dont stink. but most iimportant..I am free of the stinky, nasty cigarettes!

[url=http://sincemylastcigarette.com/] [/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread