How good is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Proctor

Sep 10, 2017
Aberdeen
Hi

I'm new to vaping and this forum my question is how good is vaping? Ive not had a real cig in 3 days and it's going ok vaping but I'm not sure how good it really is. I know crackling noise is normal but how often does the coil need replacing.
And ive read online it's maybe not that much healthier than real smoking but surely it is much healither.

Cheers

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Coil life usually depends on the makeup of the liquid you use and how much you go through. Liquids that are dark colored, sweet and high in VG tend to foul coils more quickly. Don't think of it in terms of how long will it last, but instead how much juice it can vaporize.

Vaping is believed my most reputable researchers to be much safer than smoking. It is not completely safe (only fresh, pollutant free air is completely safe to inhale).

Welcome to ECF!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi Mark and welcome. You're right - all the evidence shows that vaping is much healthier than smoking. You can hop over to this thread to read some of the research on vaping safety:

Is vaping safe ?

As others have said, coil life can vary a great deal. It's common for coils to last one to two weeks or more. You'll know it's time for a new coil when the one you're using stops working as well. Usually it tastes 'off' - a burnt taste is most common, or it may just taste unpleasant. It might also produce less vapour.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hello & Welcome...As mention there are variables on the coil...As a guess I get about 2 weeks out of a coil and I vape pretty sweet stuff...About 3ml per day and MTL at lower watts...Personally I don't think there's any question it's Safer than smoking...That's certainly what my lungs tell me !!!...But I think it's realistic that the best would be to not do either...Trig

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Cheers for the reply and info and your advices, I'm giving it a true 100% effort as sick of smoking and getting chest infections.

I got pneumonia each spring of the last three years I smoked. Haven't had it once in the four years since I switched to vaping.

Mark Proctor

Sep 10, 2017
Aberdeen
I'm in UK and so it's 2am here it's the first night I've struggled to sleep, hoping it's not tobacco withdrawals that's keeping me awake. I fell asleep but eyes pinged open only slept 1 hour. Tried 2 years ago to stop cold turkey and got no sleep the first 2 nights so started smoking again. Luckily I'm off tomorrow but working tue.

Mark Proctor

Sep 10, 2017
Aberdeen
I got pneumonia each spring of the last three years I smoked. Haven't had it once in the four years since I switched to vaping.

I would look forward to not getting a chest infection every few months. But wondering if aches and pains have anything to do with ecig.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
And ive read online it's maybe not that much healthier than real smoking but surely it is much healither.

Are you in the UK @Mark Proctor (Scotland?)

I really think e-cigs have a problem and that problem is the internet. People have been deliberately dismissing them for years now and because we are not sure they are 100% safe even people who are encouraged by their existence are erring on the side of caution.

Truth is - ALL the traffic is now in a positive direction. All the latest news says - these things are so much safer than smoking. BUT - how the heck do we get rid of info on the internet that says otherwise. Can we remove articles in the Daily Mail that says 'e-cigs as bad as smoking' written in 2013? NO - that's the problem. The internet will keep this stuff forever. And these articles will stop people from taking up vaping. They stopped my best friend taking up vaping - 5 years later he has lung cancer - who are we gonna blame? No-one. The media, the pro-tobacco politicians and the internet is messing with people's lives.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, Welcome to ECF. I'm doubting the aches and pains and insomnia are from vaping. It's far more likely to be detox from smoking. Even if you were only smoking 8 cigs a day, that's still enough to cause some detox sx, in my opinion, and every "body" seems to handle detox a bit differently. I was at about 2.5/3 ppd of cigs a day when I quit, and I had a horrible time. I did do some coughing to start, but honestly, I didn't cough up chunks of much of anything, TBH, although I pretty much had pneumonia for 18 months straight, so maybe I did all my coughing then? I was also inhaling shallowly, as I couldn't do much else, so that may have had something to do with it.

Vaping is good. Vaping is not the same as cigarettes. With that being said, when you get detox out of the way and have found a vaping setup that really suits you, vaping is fantastic. I never thought I'd be saying that vaping gives me anywhere near the satisfaction of cigarettes and I'm not going to lie, I get the odd craving or two, now and then, but it's nothing like what it was. I will say that vaping is better for: health, finances (provided you don't get shinyitis, sometimes even then), smells (you smell better, and you smell better to others) reducing harm, (I have not gotten pneumonia ONCE since starting vaping, and I had a nasty head cold recently that I am SURE would have turned into at least bronchitis or at worst pneumonia) had I continued smoking, it's fun to experiment with flavors, etc., finding a great vape setup and the right nicotine level is key.

Coils will last different amounts of time depending on your coils (often sub0hm drop in coils last longer, but they are more expensive and require more juice flow) while smaller, mouth to lung tanks at resistances of 1.0 or above MAY last less time, but it also depends on wattage, the tank and airflow, as well as gunking factors (high VG, dark or very sweet juices, etc.) those can kill a coil faster. You will know when it's time to change coils, your juice will get this awful taste, I like to describe it as kind of a petroleum oil sludge taste. You will know, once you reach that point, though you might describe it differently, but one thing you won't describe it as is delicious.

Welcome to ECF and glad you joined!

Anna

Mark Proctor

Sep 10, 2017
Aberdeen
Hi, Welcome to ECF. I'm doubting the aches and pains and insomnia are from vaping. It's far more likely to be detox from smoking. Even if you were only smoking 8 cigs a day, that's still enough to cause some detox sx, in my opinion, and every "body" seems to handle detox a bit differently. I was at about 2.5/3 ppd of cigs a day when I quit, and I had a horrible time. I did do some coughing to start, but honestly, I didn't cough up chunks of much of anything, TBH, although I pretty much had pneumonia for 18 months straight, so maybe I did all my coughing then? I was also inhaling shallowly, as I couldn't do much else, so that may have had something to do with it.

Vaping is good. Vaping is not the same as cigarettes. With that being said, when you get detox out of the way and have found a vaping setup that really suits you, vaping is fantastic. I never thought I'd be saying that vaping gives me anywhere near the satisfaction of cigarettes and I'm not going to lie, I get the odd craving or two, now and then, but it's nothing like what it was. I will say that vaping is better for: health, finances (provided you don't get shinyitis, sometimes even then), smells (you smell better, and you smell better to others) reducing harm, (I have not gotten pneumonia ONCE since starting vaping, and I had a nasty head cold recently that I am SURE would have turned into at least bronchitis or at worst pneumonia) had I continued smoking, it's fun to experiment with flavors, etc., finding a great vape setup and the right nicotine level is key.

Coils will last different amounts of time depending on your coils (often sub0hm drop in coils last longer, but they are more expensive and require more juice flow) while smaller, mouth to lung tanks at resistances of 1.0 or above MAY last less time, but it also depends on wattage, the tank and airflow, as well as gunking factors (high VG, dark or very sweet juices, etc.) those can kill a coil faster. You will know when it's time to change coils, your juice will get this awful taste, I like to describe it as kind of a petroleum oil sludge taste. You will know, once you reach that point, though you might describe it differently, but one thing you won't describe it as is delicious.

Welcome to ECF and glad you joined!

Anna

Thank you Anna that was very good info you have passed on and I appreciate it very much what is shinyitis? What about looking healthier ie skin looking fresher an healthier? Also I had a friend who gave up cold turkey a few years ago and 12 months later he went from 12 stones to 17, I have heard most people put weight on after stopping or is that only if you quit altogether no nicotine at all.

Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread