How good is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hey Mark, shinyitis is a condition acquired by some users of this forum who want to own every new, exciting, or "different" type of vaping equipment in their quest for... the perfect vape? The interest in all the new *shiny things?* type of thing. I did spend a fair amount on vaping when I started, but to be fair, deeming regs (this is another thing you can learn about on the forum, but basically the FDA was going to come in and do some unknown thing to vaping, that's been pushed out a couple years by the new FDA regime) but at the time, I was like, "This is working, better figure out how to make coils and DIY juice ASAP," so much of my funds went to nic base (this will save me money over storebought juices, and I enjoy it) and a few rebuildable tanks that really weren't suited to my needs, wire, a coilbuilding kit etc. It's wise to have a backup setup once you get going in case anything goes wrong with yours, but really, the amount of equipment you own is going to be up to you.... Not everyone catches shinyitis, but it is a danger! Some folks are minimalists in that area and I try to emulate them... now, heh. No new purchases for me, but I have stable vapes I like and don't truly "need" anything else, so that makes it much easier! :)

My husband and kid tell me my wrinkles are fading, and I tend to agree though they may be saying that to keep me vaping, that's always possible. But, with the amount I was smoking and how ill I was, I was pretty wizened, as it were, and had huge dark circles under my eyes. The main thing is I feel about 20 years younger and really almost can't keep up with my own energy level! I haven't gained weight since quitting, honestly, but to be fair, I have a hard time keeping weight on anyway, I would have been fine with gaining a few pounds, but no, I have to keep choking down those lovely ensure shakes. When I used nic gum for 6 mo I didn't gain weight either, so I do think nic might be a part of that, since it's a stimulant, and I don't see much talk of massive weight gains on this forum. May also have to do with the hand to mouth thing, maybe, as some folks have gone to very low or even 0 nic.... IDK about that one.

Good luck and happy vaping! :)

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yeah I live in Scotland use to live in California. Why?

Because UK and US articles written in the past that are anti-e-cig are the problem I'm talking about.
The Royal College of Physicians says e-cigs are 95% safer. The NHS recognizes the value of them (yet bans their use around hospitals), ASH agree they are far the better alternative to smoking and we have leading UK scientists all shouting about the harm reduction potential..
The news is great, but we can't erase all the scare stories on the internet. Too many of them come from these shores.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm new to vaping and this forum my question is how good is vaping?
Vaping is so good that there is so much negative propaganda out there by greedy, uncaring (stubborn, not willing to be informed) people who may you hooked on a product that may kill you in time. Could a whole country(s) be wrong?
re: Government legalises e-cigarettes in effort to make New Zealand smokefree by 2025
Publications - Helping Smokers Quit: The Science Behind Tobacco Harm Reduction | Heartland Institute
http://www.vapewild.com/the-wild-blogger/vapewild-test-results/
I know crackling noise is normal
Always wondered what causes crackling/popping during vaping

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
How good is It? It is good! Especially after you find your groove: the right set up(s) and juices and peripherals that make it all satisfying for you. It's actually totally possible to get to the point where if a genie popped up and said "I can make cigarettes as safe as vaping, but you can choose only one," you'd choose vaping. (I would)

I get it though! I smoked A LOT and for A LONG TIME. I had longings for cigarettes for a long time. I still even feel a bit of that, but it's actually a phantom need, the memory of a need -- and I like vaping a lot better. Unlike a lot of ex-smoking vapers, I do have a cigarette once every two or three weeks to remind myself that it's truly not thrilling, and I'm pretty much imagining the idea that it was ever good. It's not. I don't ever want a second one when I have my little memory lane smokes once or twice a month (not even always that much).

With vaping I like the flavors, I like the hobby aspect (mostly making my own juice, though I also make my own coils, but stick with simple stuff that I prefer on that), I like that I don't smell bad, my house doesn't smell bad, and I'm not poisoning my dog with cigarette smoke. I like that it doesn't take MONTHS to recover from a flu or cold now, and that I actually hardly ever even get a flu or cold now. I like being able to breathe deeply without coughing, and sleeping without whistling wheezing noises. I like that I'm not killing myself. Or at least not quite so quickly or surely. I also like the companionship of hanging out here to discuss various aspects of vaping. Who would do that with cigarettes? :p

Would it be better to neither vape nor smoke? Absolutely! That should anyone's first choice if they are able, but if it's either/or between vaping and smoking, vaping is so much better. Cigarettes taste like sweaty baboon .... once you've got the chemicals out of your system, and though the psychological addiction can be sticky, you can actually get past that, believe it or not. I'd never be satisfied with smoking now.

Mark Proctor

Sep 10, 2017
Aberdeen
I'll just have to hope it's not banned especially in UK as I can't make coils or the e liquid. It would be typical of the corrupt powers that be banning it eventually so we have to poisin ourselfs, not before lining there pockets.

My aim is to vape around 1.8ml a day then within 6 months be at just 1ml a day then maybe within 16 months be vaping barely anything to then stoping. Let my body get slowly use to barely any nicotine so the symptoms- side effects of just stopping will be very very minimal

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Hand to mouth withdrawal would be bad for me.

Yeah, that's what actually keeps me from ever being able to kick it all to the curb. THAT'S the addiction I can't get past. I think I could easily go to zero nicotine at this point (I'm only 3mg or less, mouth to lung vaping, now), but the hand to mouth mechanical muscle action habit is mighty. There are many like us, which is one reason why simple nicotine replacement systems like patches or gum so often fail. Not everyone has this need, but for those of us who do, it's a very big deal.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
How good is It? It is good! Especially after you find your groove: the right set up(s) and juices and peripherals that make it all satisfying for you. It's actually totally possible to get to the point where if a genie popped up and said "I can make cigarettes as safe as vaping, but you can choose only one," you'd choose vaping. (I would)

I get it though! I smoked A LOT and for A LONG TIME. I had longings for cigarettes for a long time. I still even feel a bit of that, but it's actually a phantom need, the memory of a need -- and I like vaping a lot better. Unlike a lot of ex-smoking vapers, I do have a cigarette once every two or three weeks to remind myself that it's truly not thrilling, and I'm pretty much imagining the idea that it was ever good. It's not. I don't ever want a second one when I have my little memory lane smokes once or twice a month (not even always that much).

With vaping I like the flavors, I like the hobby aspect (mostly making my own juice, though I also make my own coils, but stick with simple stuff that I prefer on that), I like that I don't smell bad, my house doesn't smell bad, and I'm not poisoning my dog with cigarette smoke. I like that it doesn't take MONTHS to recover from a flu or cold now, and that I actually hardly ever even get a flu or cold now. I like being able to breathe deeply without coughing, and sleeping without whistling wheezing noises. I like that I'm not killing myself. Or at least not quite so quickly or surely. I also like the companionship of hanging out here to discuss various aspects of vaping. Who would do that with cigarettes? :p

Would it be better to neither vape nor smoke? Absolutely! That should anyone's first choice if they are able, but if it's either/or between vaping and smoking, vaping is so much better. Cigarettes taste like sweaty baboon .... once you've got the chemicals out of your system, and though the psychological addiction can be sticky, you can actually get past that, believe it or not. I'd never be satisfied with smoking now.
You put it perfectly. There's *no* way I'm ever going back to cigarettes, and I have the stockpile to ensure it. Vaping gives me everything I needed with smoking plus so much more.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I believe similarly. Once I switched to vaping and fell of the wagon with a cig here or there, it just wasn't satisfying which helps me deal with the occasional cig craving. I'm doubtful that either the US or the UK will ban e-cigs at this point, the UK already has some rather stringent-ish requirements in place, it's unclear what the US will do, but I'm doubtful they will be banned completely.

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
To what Anna was eluding to, is there much chance governments would ban e cigs sooner or later, id be gutted and angry as nic gum and patches just woudnt work for me. I'd have to go back to cigarettes because I coudnt bare cold turkey
A total ban is close to impossible. Certainly here, enough MPs are satisfied they are a the way forward. Any attempt at an outright an would be seen as 'illogical' and would not get through. We know this from writing to MPs and Lords back in 2014/15/16. There is enough support.
However, even worse regulation might come down the line unless the current attempts to remove the TPD from the automatically-adopted EU laws go ahead.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My aim is to vape around 1.8ml a day then within 6 months be at just 1ml a day then maybe within 16 months be vaping barely anything to then stoping. Let my body get slowly use to barely any nicotine so the symptoms- side effects of just stopping will be very very minimal

It's a brave plan. I wish you luck.
Most vapers I know (and it's not the best cross-section, I admit) enjoy vaping and upgrade their hardware. This invariably leads to more power and liquid. However, you don't have to go down this road. I can vape 90% of the day on low-ish power and only a little nicotine.
There is someone on AAEC who just stopped one day. He was vaping 3mg towards the end, but not at super-high power as I remember. Most members on there feel they are barely addicted. I am barely addicted - I can go most of the day without a vape. I could do the same with smoking, but the moods and twitchy nerves were colossally more noticeable.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I skipped all the replies because I just wanna answer the question and I know these fine folks have beaten me to it, I can fien ignorance and go about it.

Firstly I'm a month free of cigarettes. I took my last drag the moments before walking into the vape shop for the first time.

I too was nervous. Hell cigarettes were my crutch. Stress, smoke. Happy, smoke, sad smoke...

Knew I'd have to learn stuff, stuff that included maths....I hate math. I mean hate it. Ever tried to figure ohms & resistance on fingers and toes? Challenging I assure you.

Coils, oh coils. The bane of my vaping existence. Burning cotton, dry hits (you WILL know it when it happens), priming, when to change, oh the horror.

Not so much.

First you've stumbled on a great place to chase those metallic demons away. Questions. They've got answers. On top of that it's really not that hard. It's not hard at all.

Remember how nasty those smokes tasted. Let vaping take you away from all of that. Need nic? Watermelon (what I'm vaping as I type this), fruit, candy, drinks, the world is your oyster (don't vape oyster...or crab).

Vaping hasn't been proven to be bad. Oh there's nay Sayers out there, but my opinion is they have an agenda and want a bit of coin. There's no tar or any of the junk we willingly inhaled that also happened to be killing us. After a month of not smoking I think I could wrestle a gundar.

And win!

In any event, whatever you decide, welcome.

KELLY2017

Sep 12, 2017
CHINA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Posts must be in English

Kilroy

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Charlotte, NC
After I quit smoking, food started tasting much better, I ate a lot more of it and I gained weight. I had to get control of that and now weigh less than I did when I quit. I feel much better than I did when I was a smoker. It does take time and effort to avoid the urge to go back. Keep yourself surrounded with equipment that works and juice that you like. It's been almost 8 years.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
After I quit smoking, food started tasting much better, I ate a lot more of it and I gained weight.
Me too. I think I might just about be back to where I was in 2012.
I actually looked really ill and really over-my-normal weight 3-12 months after quitting smoking.

Mark Proctor

Sep 10, 2017
Aberdeen
8 days now and counting stink free . I'm getting some strange dreams last night I was being chased by cigarettes with two legs nuts. I got a new e cig yesterday more strength so now I have two I'm feeling strong, btw after 8days am I passed the worsed ie detox and such

Cheers
Mark

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
8 days now and counting stink free . I'm getting some strange dreams last night I was being chased by cigarettes with two legs nuts. I got a new e cig yesterday more strength so now I have two I'm feeling strong, btw after 8days am I passed the worsed ie detox and such

Cheers
Mark
:thumbs: Fantastic! Interesting dream. Before vaping - when trying to quit I would dream about cigs. Now I dream about waking up and gear is all gone. Talk about panic! :shock:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thank you Anna that was very good info you have passed on and I appreciate it very much what is shinyitis? What about looking healthier ie skin looking fresher an healthier? Also I had a friend who gave up cold turkey a few years ago and 12 months later he went from 12 stones to 17, I have heard most people put weight on after stopping or is that only if you quit altogether no nicotine at all.

Thanks Mark

Vaping helps with keeping the weight off in two ways, it keeps your hand to mouth habit occupied in the manner in which it is accustomed, keeping you from picking up food to assuage the habit, also, it keeps weight off by continuing the nicotine intake (which is an appetite suppressant), and allows you the time you need to taper off very gently from the nicotine so you won't have any of the drastic side effects that occur with an overnight loss of it, such as weight gain.

In the end, most of the side effects people have from quitting smoking, you won't have with vaping.

The only exception is the coughing, and apparently some people cough immediately upon making the switch to vaping and others never do.. I was one who did cough a lot out of my lungs, but there are just as many people who switch to vaping without any of that uncomfort. I'm going to say with as little as you smoked to begin with, you will likely never cough up gunk, especially if you haven't already started to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread