How hard would it be to paint a 18650 battery tube? Would it hold up and look good?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by maf2k8, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. maf2k8

maf2k8 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ok so i have been thinking about painting a 18650 battery tube. It will be a brass battery tube. I am looking to paint it black or grey, or maybe another color ( unsure at the moment )

My question is, Would painting one at home and no fancy machines or paint have a good outcome? Will it hold up to everyday use?

If so, Could you experienced guys who have done something like this before give me some info on what type of paint would be best to use, Do i use a sealant? primer? Is painting brass just the same as painting any other steal?

The top cap and bottom button both unscrew from the mod so it will just be the tube. I am not sure if i should tape off the threads either.

Any input on this would be great, Thanks.

2. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

For bare metal, simply sand the surface if starting from polished. This allows the primer to bond. Primer would be ideal. Use an automotive enamel for best protection against wear. Use several very light coats. Better to build up the coat than cause drips. Read the instructions. Follow all cautions and directions.

3. jersey_emt

jersey_emt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Great advice. Proper surface prep and many thin coats are the most important things for a good paint job.

I would also consider a product called DuraCoat. It's designed for painting firearms, so it is very durable and heat resistant.

4. jersey_emt

jersey_emt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

And yes, you need to tape off the threads, otherwise you would no longer get a good electrical connection. The body of a mechanical mod is part of the circuit.

I would just tape the entire interior of the tube.

5. jgilk1

jgilk1 Full Member Verified Member

personally i would suggest using an etching primer made for brass then your regular primer... then a regular primer 2-3 coats buffer down with steel wool between coats then 4-5 coats of your base color then your clear coat cut and butt to your prefered finish

6. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I would say that a say that a Good Metal Primer is a Must. I would also suggest Cleaning the Tube with 91% Rubbing Alcohol while Using Latex Gloves.

I have gotten Imperfections while Painting Metal from Oils coming from my Hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.