How I finally ended a life long battle with smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffNoMoJo

Feb 14, 2010
Indiana
Good on you and your hubby! Thanks so much for sharing. In your new career you will have so many wonderful opportunities to help people like us who have battled the tobacco demons since childhood. And you'll be able to help educate other healthcare professionals about the battles (war?) and the relief we've found. Sometimes people who have never fought in this war have a hard time relating, just as I have a hard time relating to crack addicts and hoarders. It's easy to look at somebody else's problem and say "Why don't you just QUIT?" If it were that easy we'd all be Jesus.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Glowgirl you go girl!
Isn't too hard to remember when everybody smoked! Now it's a social sin of some kind.
Funny how everything works, isn't it! The victims become the problem somehow.
vaping works!

Isn't that the truth!! When I was a kid, it seemed like everyone smoked. On TV, in the movies - even Fred Flintstone sold Winstons. I remember people smoking while walking down the aisles in the grocery store. When I started working, only a handful of people didn't smoke. It was not only socially acceptable, it was the norm.

feebee

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2010
South of Sydney, Australia
Thank you so much for sharing your story - what an inspiration!

OK, I admit, I cried too. I can relate to so much in what you said here, down to starting at a young age - Though neither of my parents smoked, I tried it at 13, & realised at 15 when away on holidays with family, that I was addicted. I thought the same, 'don't smoke one, or you will never quit' I tried & failed many quit methods, smoked during pregnancy, scheduled so many things about my ciggies, & dreamt of smoking during my quits. Then found myself hooked again. Now at age 42, I have discovered e-cigs.

I know I already sound like an ex-smoker/current-vaper, but in reality I am waiting on my first kit which should be here (provided customs doesn't hold it) within the next day or 2.

I have tried cold turkey, patches, inhalers, gum, lozenges, & (uop to 6 months success with) Zyban & Champix (US Chantix) For the first time ever, I am actually so excited & can't wait to quit this time! I know this is the answer I have been looking for. Every other time, besides the obvious nicotine addiction, it was the habit, ritual & visible plumes I missed with smoking, & that was what always brought me back - even when they tasted like cr@p after so long of not smoking. Slowly & insidiously, even with my thoughts of 'I can stop at one...or two' they always brought me back.

I just KNOW this time will be different...

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
Thank you so much for sharing your story - what an inspiration!

OK, I admit, I cried too. I can relate to so much in what you said here, down to starting at a young age - Though neither of my parents smoked, I tried it at 13, & realised at 15 when away on holidays with family, that I was addicted. I thought the same, 'don't smoke one, or you will never quit' I tried & failed many quit methods, smoked during pregnancy, scheduled so many things about my ciggies, & dreamt of smoking during my quits. Then found myself hooked again. Now at age 42, I have discovered e-cigs.

I know I already sound like an ex-smoker/current-vaper, but in reality I am waiting on my first kit which should be here (provided customs doesn't hold it) within the next day or 2.

I have tried cold turkey, patches, inhalers, gum, lozenges, & (uop to 6 months success with) Zyban & Champix (US Chantix) For the first time ever, I am actually so excited & can't wait to quit this time! I know this is the answer I have been looking for. Every other time, besides the obvious nicotine addiction, it was the habit, ritual & visible plumes I missed with smoking, & that was what always brought me back - even when they tasted like cr@p after so long of not smoking. Slowly & insidiously, even with my thoughts of 'I can stop at one...or two' they always brought me back.

I just KNOW this time will be different...

FeeBee it will be different! So different you will feel like you have cheated the devil. A few words to the wise though.....read all of the links on this forum and take note. I read so many things after i had a problem and could have easily avoided several pitfalls. I overloaded my carts, thereby ruining a battery with dripped juice and giving my self a tongue rash with juice in the mouth. I freaked out and waaaay over ordered juice. I also had muscle stiffness and was tired at first which passed after a few days. It's a miracle this esmoking, but it has a learning curve too. Thank the sweet lord for this forum! It will be your go to resource......

Reactions: KC0YNU

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Great success story, thanks Glo Girl.............After over 60 years of being a slave to cigarettes, I also have been lucky to have found this site and E.Cig. Lets pray that the powers that what to stop this fantastic journey of freedom from government lettuce, read some of these stories.
Wow, Haytoni, an extreme example of the power of human endurance.
I smoked 44 years and thought that was some kind of 'stupid' on my part. Kept thinking it wasn't bothering me. I was wrong. More like killing!
Glad to see you are here! Big Congratulations to you.
Sometimes the "learning curve" of e-cigs is daunting, and the help from ECF is very much appreciated, all of us share some kind of "beginner's luck" story!! I burned out an atomizer and a battery by blowing into it to get rid of that funny gurgle! The replacement was about $50 so I learned fast after that. Then I found ECF, seems there's a lot of things that can go wrong.
Nice work, everyone!************:toast:

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
Thanks for sharing. Reading your story made me realize my smoking career was pretty pathetic too, that panic of running out of cigs, justifying smoking after I did quit, the whole nine yards.

I do want to add to those that are still struggling with smoking, even after switching to vaping that it isn't always so easy to get through, even with a PV. But it is alot easier to jump on the wagon if you fall off. I am five weeks in with no smokes, three months in with smoking reduction but I still have times when I just crave a real smoke and I sometimes wonder if that will ever go away. All I have to say is hang in there. As the advertising slogan of my regular smokes always said, "You've come a long way baby"

vip0802

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland
glowgirl - many congratulations to you and your husband on quitting! this has to be the best story i've read on here...it was beautifully written and truly moving.

it made me think about all the times i skipped out on traveling or even simple family gatherings. being Vietnamese, a lot of the older generations disapprove of females that smoke, and i never wanted others to think that my wonderful parents "failed" at raising me or that i was some sort of devil child. God forbid that i couldn't smoke after a meal, so i would lie and make up excuses to get out of seeing the family. it saddens me to think of all the quality time i've missed over the years, but am happy that i don't have to miss out anymore.

anyway, keep up the great work and best of luck to you!

MichaelB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We could take a walk down memory lane, recounting all the horrible things we did to smoke...........MeeemmmoOOrrrrrriieeeeeeeeeess like the corner of my mind.......twisted, terrible, smoky memories...of the way we were..... (what? those aren't the right lyrics?).

I will definately pass on the walk down memory lane again! I did it reading your original post and it made me GAG! But I do think those are the right lyrics. :2cool:

Lilacs212too

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
Williamsburg, VA
Thank you so much for sharing those memories of your life.. I think we can all relate to the shame. I never thought of cigarettes like a drug, and never would have, until I tried quitting. I remember going through some financially trying times in life, not knowing if I could pay rent, but I'll be damned, I was able to buy cigarettes! I have wondered since I starting vaping how much different life would be if I had turned down the offer to take that first drag, fearing that I wouldn't be "cool" if I didn't accept. It's funny how now it's the complete opposite. Smoking is so looked down on, and I felt so terribly about myself, and self esteem, until I started vaping. Not only the health benefits, but it's nice to know that I CAN quit. I tried and failed so many other ways to quit, pills, patches, gum. I nearly had a nervous breakdown after trying to quit. It feels good to know I do, in fact, have control over this addiction.

I have to say, not only has this forum been extremely helpful with any and all information you need, from what to buy and where, to trouble shooting for noobs... but from what I've seen, very much like a support group. I would have to say, though I don't comment much here, it's been my ecig bible, to turn to for answers and encouragement.

Thank you again for sharing your story.. job well done, indeed!

Hognuts

Jun 30, 2010
Williamsburg Va
You know it's sad that it has to be that way. You get addicted to something and the cigarette companies and our government prey on you.They try to make as much money off of your addiction as they can until you die. most insurance companies won't even cover , stop smoking aides to try to help you with this addiction.This addiction isn't any different than any other, they are getting freekin rich off of it. just like a drug dealer gets rich off a drug addict. Oh yeah the pharmaceutical companies also.............They are as greedy as the others. And the FDA wants to try to ban something that works....E-cigs....what a freekin joke.

This story hit home for me, I can remember some of the stupid things I would do,or how stressed out I would get if I thought I couldn't have a smoke. I planned my life around smoking. I didn't think I could ever quit, I loved smoking. Well I was turned on to e-cigs 6 weeks ago, I put down my smokes, my wife also, and started vaping, and Will never look back...........36 years of analogs.....................Cheers to every addict who put down the Analogs...............:toast: its a tough Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread