How I finally ended a life long battle with smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IOU

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Laguna Beach, California
Wow, what a heartfelt and well written document of smoking addiction. Thank you Glowgirl for sharing such a moving story with us. I have got to send this thread to my mom who has struggled with smoking all her life as well as myself. I got her an e-cig, but I know she keeps going back to the analogs. It easier for her, so she thinks. We all truely know that it is an excuse and we were all so good at making them when we all smoked.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
What a great story and so well written. I think you should become a writer along with your other accomplishments. You put into print what we all feel and can't quite express it as well as you. I'm 70 and was diagnosed with COPD and I also have watched love ones die the slow death of a smoker. I have been vaping for 16 months now and went to the doctor yesterday for my annual checkup and he was amazed at my improvment. The doctor said my lungs sounded like an accordian two years ago and now they sounded normal. He wants me to come back for a breathing test and I'm looking forward to that. I was teaching one of my grandsons how to ride a bike last weekend and had to run up and down the driveway to catch him if he fell and two years ago I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without stopping to get my breath and use my inhaler. I no longer use my inhaler except when I go to sleep and I don't need it then. I no longer wheeze or cough either and I haven't had a cold in 16 months.
Thanks so much for your testimony it was great!

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
Thank you TX! Many people in your situation just give up and I am impressed with your willingness to fight for health! I tested my lung capacity four weeks after using my ecig and it had returned to normal. I hope you had the same results!

I'm 70 and was diagnosed with COPD and I also have watched love ones die the slow death of a smoker. I have been vaping for 16 months now and went to the doctor yesterday for my annual checkup and he was amazed at my improvment.

db13berry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
USA
What a great, well written testimony. I too, was where you were.
I knew the cigarettes were ruining my life. They were killing me.

Like you, I grew up going in the store to buy my father cigs. No note was needed. I just bought his Winstons along with my candy. I was always around him smoking and hated it. I would cough and fuss at him for smoking. I hated the smell.

Well, I started smoking when I was 15 years old, regularly when I was 18, stopped on and off for 2 years and started again non stop at 20. Everyone smoked. We even had a "smoking wall" at my high school.

My father had his first heart attack at 38. I was in 3rd grade and it was 1982. Back then, the doctors put heart attack patients in the hospital and on bed rest for 1 week. Nothing else was done. They knew of nothing else to do. He was released from the hospital and told to quit smoking. After he got home, for a few days, we noticed he was sneaking out to the pump house more and more. My mother, who was a non-smoker, finally told him if he was going to sneak around and smoke, he may as well just do it and stop hiding it. So back in the house he came, smoke and all. At 42, he had a massive heart attack and died. I was 13. At the time, I didn't understand that smoking probably caused his short life.

Myself and my brother lived around cigs smoke from the day we were born. My mother's father smoked, he died at a young age from heart disease as well. My mother never smoked, but was around 2nd hand smoke from birth also. At age 58, my mother woke up one Monday morning with severe shortness of breath. She went to the emergency room and found out she had had a heart attack. Upon further testing, it was discovered that the neck pain she had been experiencing for over a year and seeing a chiropractor for, was actually her having small heart attacks. By the time if was discovered, her heart was in really bad shape. She had triple bypass surgery and died after the surgery. This was in 2001.

By that time, I had been smoking for 13 years or so. I knew I had to quit. HAD TO!! Not only for myself, but for the health of my children and my husband. I tried everything available, to no avail. And I continued to try on and off since then for the past 10 years. I continued to smoke around my children and my husband. Do you see a pattern here in my family? I became a nurse in 1995. I know/knew better. I knew what I was doing to myself and my loved ones, but I kept doing it. I'm an addict.

On March 24th, 2011, I felt terrible. I had been reading this forum and researching, and ordered my Riva on that day. On March 25th, 2011, I was admitted to the hospital for high blood pressure and a heart rate of 144. I am 38 years old, the same age my father was when he had his first heart attack. After multiple blood tests, EKGs, being attached to a heparin drip all night, and a stress test, it was deemed that I had not had a heart attack. But, the warning signs were there. I had even started having the neck pain my mother had and was considering a chiropractor. Go figure. I was started on a small dose blood pressure pill, cholesterol meds (as preventative measure due to genetics), Xanax, and low dose aspirin. I came home on the 26th and didn't smoke. Boy was I a mean person!! My Riva came on the 28th and I haven't looked back.

Within one week, I was breathing better and had way more energy. I am exercising at least 4 days a week now for 1 hour a day. No shortness of breath. I am determined to be off of the blood pressure meds within 6 to 8 months. Hopefully. If not, that's ok. I feel great and my attitude has improved. I did not realize how badly I felt over the last year or two.

It has only been a little over two weeks, but I haven't stopped smoking for that long since I was 20 years old. I have several friends who are e-cigging it now instead of smoking. I feel better. I smell better. And hopefully, I have extended my life. Ecigs work!!!! They will get you off cigarettes if you want to. And from reading here, I see that sometimes it gets you off cigarettes even without trying to.

I don't plan to vape forever. I plan to lower my nicotine level slowly and eventually stop all together. At some point. I'm in no hurry. I do enjoy the act of smoking. It is pleasurable and relaxing to me. So, for now, I will continue to vape and enjoy it.

feebee

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2010
South of Sydney, Australia
Thank you so much for sharing your story - what an inspiration!

OK, I admit, I cried too. I can relate to so much in what you said here, down to starting at a young age - Though neither of my parents smoked, I tried it at 13, & realised at 15 when away on holidays with family, that I was addicted. I thought the same, 'don't smoke one, or you will never quit' I tried & failed many quit methods, smoked during pregnancy, scheduled so many things about my ciggies, & dreamt of smoking during my quits. Then found myself hooked again. Now at age 42, I have discovered e-cigs.

I know I already sound like an ex-smoker/current-vaper, but in reality I am waiting on my first kit which should be here (provided customs doesn't hold it) within the next day or 2.

I have tried cold turkey, patches, inhalers, gum, lozenges, & (uop to 6 months success with) Zyban & Champix (US Chantix) For the first time ever, I am actually so excited & can't wait to quit this time! I know this is the answer I have been looking for. Every other time, besides the obvious nicotine addiction, it was the habit, ritual & visible plumes I missed with smoking, & that was what always brought me back - even when they tasted like cr@p after so long of not smoking. Slowly & insidiously, even with my thoughts of 'I can stop at one...or two' they always brought me back.

I just KNOW this time will be different...

WOW, I knew I posted in this thread! I just posted "Over a year & never going back!"

Yep, this time WAS different! :)

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
glowgirl-albums-all-about-meeeeeeeeee-picture57948t-310620-271708939514144-100000251216840-1063209-1380477309.jpg

Hey it's glowgirl, the OP, back for an update. Since I quit smoking and started vaping, life has been pretty great. This summer I ran in 8 races including the Warrior Dash, Hybrid Adventure Games and many others. My husband, who quit smoking using vaping, joined me on many of these runs. My teenage son did too. In the Hybrid Adventure Games we ran up a mountain, 3000 vertical feet in 2.5 miles and back down. The air at the top was INCREDIBLE. I can't express how amazing it is to be able to run with my teenage and keep up. To be as fit as I always wanted to be, but couldn't because of smoking. Vaping is amazing, it changes your life. For those of you just reading this for the first time, I hope you stick with it and enjoy all of the benefits me and my family have reaped. By the way, you should see all of the odd looks I get when I vape after an event. Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread