How is flavoring prepared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I went looking to buy a replacement for a TFA flavor I am running out of. I checked Bull City, One-Stop and E-cig Express as is my norm. I needed about 6-7 flavors so I look to see if I can get all at one place.

Anyway, noticing the ingredients they weren't the same as in Ethol Alcohol and a couple of other ingredients. That made me wonder if testing is different or if the vendor makes the juice according to a licensed recipe.

Has anyone run across this or has an explanation?

Thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I went looking to buy a replacement for a TFA flavor I am running out of. I checked Bull City, One-Stop and E-cig Express as is my norm. I needed about 6-7 flavors so I look to see if I can get all at one place.

Anyway, noticing the ingredients they weren't the same as in Ethol Alcohol and a couple of other ingredients. That made me wonder if testing is different or if the vendor makes the juice according to a licensed recipe.

Has anyone run across this or has an explanation?

Thanks
Why don't you just go to the TFA webstite?
Perfumer's Apprentice

What flavors are you looking for?

:)

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
Those companies just buy bulk and re-bottle the flavors, they should be the exact same all around, some flavors are made with alcohol, some are not, I think this became more noticeable with the newer ban on air transport, the ones with alcohol have to be shipped ground when over 4 oz., I usually use Bull City, they are always fast either way.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I was checking all of my flavors in my database. That included TFA, Flavor West, Inawea, Capella, FlavorArt and LorAnn.

First benefit is to know which have alcohol in them so I can let those air out. And, I wanted to determine why a warehouse vendor is saying something different than what the manufacturing website says. I did detect some media webpage deception, particularly in how much of a chemical constitutes the need to label it as having the ingredient.

I also noticed that their are many more flavors being offered with a "DX" or "V2" designation. And, I have two flavors that are not even recognized as products from the company anymore.

As I iron out the issues with my inventory, I will update my recipes.

Since the 3rd ear grew in, I knew something was not right. :eek:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This could be an enlightening thread. There are several aromas in flavors and especially in vendor juices that I can't identify. There's a vape shop in town that sells different brands of juice mixes that ALL have the same funky undertone in the smell and the same weird flavor component in the vapor. I know that because they have a juice bar where you can use your mod to switch their atomizers with a throwaway tip and taste test.

I'm thinking it's alcohol. It may be Apple Cider Vinegar, but why would sweets, fruits, and tobaccos all have that funky aftertaste? Maybe it's old coils that don't get changed often enough. With 75 atomizers on a juice bar it would be expensive to change them every couple of days. If that's the reason for not changing them it's also the reason I don't buy their juice.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
@DaveP , I DIY and shop at several of the main online vendors. Someone mentioned ethol Alcohol and needing to let the mix "air out" before storing it to steep. All mine, regardless, air out overnight and steep for a minimum length of time, which is rather long. That is just me.

Anyway, I thought to check which flavors I have that have alcohol in them. What I ran into was that one vendor said the flavor had alcohol and another vendor said it didn't. Then, I went to the manufacturer's website to get their story. I tend to believe the manufacturer unless they don't say, which then I stop buying their flavors.

As a DIYer, I think it is good to know what is in the flavorings and that is really all that I am doing. I did notice that one brand of juice seemed to have more strange chemicals that the other brands. Remember, I am only checking the flavors that I have in my recipes, so I could be off base about claiming any one brand is worse than another.

I used to go into vape shops to taste test and talk shop. I did notice that the flavor, as tasted in the shop, was not the same as when I finally used it. I found juices online and that is where I just got into the airing and steeping practice. I was basically buying in groups to use 2-3 months down the road. That is when I tested the juice and determined whether I liked it or not.

I gotta say that doing trial and error with store bought juices, 2-3 months after purchase, got expensive. DIY is much cheaper and I have a much better handle as to what is going in my tank.

I have also seen some pretty unsanitary shops that made juice on-site. DIY is better.

Hope helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread