How is sub-ohm vaping dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I've had a question which you, gankoji, may be able to help with . . .. charging rates.

Obviously, charging a battery is going to heat the battery to some degree also. How much does charging rate affect the overall life of a battery?

Take, for example, my AW 1600mAh 18650. It's max charge rate is 4.5 Amps. How much more use would I get out of it if I always charged it at a rate of only 1A.

gankoji

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Buena Park, CA
Okay, here goes:

You may be on to something here, because there is a well known relationship between large discharge rates and battery life, both in capacity and charge/discharge cycles.

That said, I do not know of any sort of empirical studies regarding the relation of charge rate to battery life. Maybe you should start one? Do you have a charger with a settable charge current? If you were to say, take two batteries, use them in the same setup and record life time, in cycles, and average usable capacity, over the life of both batteries, you might make a very useful contribution to battery science :).

It is my gut feeling that any heat will deteriorate a battery, albeit in a very small way. So, if you could charge at 1A versus 4.5A, it might have some benefit as to the life of your batteries in terms of charge/discharge cycles.

My two cents :)

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
This is such a great thread. I don't do RBA's or sub ohm, have no desire to. I have had alot of math and chemistry and physics and worked in electronics building boards way back when. I find it risky to push the envelope because of so many factors. There are alot of things that fail in electronics, not just batteries, I am actually totally amazed things work as well as they do because I used to build this stuff and I know how manufacturing goes. They many build scrap all night shift and then day shift works all day to "fix" the scrap that gets sold as first class electronics. Ouch! So beware my vape friends, and take care of yourself! bnrk

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Speaking of your signature block, bnrkwst, I have a question.

I've been taught the same. However, recently someone posted this question on a battery safety thread:

"Just to be on the safe side, is it better to press the power button and hold it for 3 seconds before you vape?"

and one of the responses was---No, it was more dangerous, with no explanation.

Anyone care to discuss that reasoning? Is it somehow different for the sub-ohmers?

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca

I've been taught the same. However, recently someone posted this question on a battery safety thread:

"Just to be on the safe side, is it better to press the power button and hold it for 3 seconds before you vape?"

Anyone care to discuss that reasoning? Is it somehow different for the sub-ohmers?

perhaps the responder was thinking that the button press would continue into the vaping (ie, hold for three seconds, keep holding, and put it to your mouth and take a drag)? that's the only reasonable explanation i can even think of for this response...

anyways, i ALWAYS fire a freshly charged battery a couple of times away from my face before taking a drag. assuming you're taking all other safety precautions, a fully charged battery is the most likely to fail. the voltage is at it's highest, and therefore, in an unregulated mech, the current discharge is at it's highest as well. you don't know if something happened during charging, so it's better to find out by holding the battery away from you than having it pop in your mouth.

after the battery has drained a little bit, you do still need to be careful, but it's a lot less likely that it will fail (again, assuming you're taking all other safety precautions).

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you're using proper batteries even if they do fail they're just going to vent anyway.

Is Sub-Ohm vaping that much Better than Non Sub-Ohm vaping to you?

I mean, if were getting to the Point of Batteries Venting inside my mod, Is Sub-Ohm really that much Better?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Everyone knows (or should know) shorting a battery is a bad thing. Test the ohms of some common pocket items that could short a battery. Compare those readings to what some people (in this thread) are putting on their batteries as sub-ohm coils.

That is the reason sub ohm vaping can be dangerous (not necessarily IS but CAN BE if you don't know what you are doing, but that's been thoroughly covered already).

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Their response makes no sense, a 3 second button push before or while doing your first vape is still a 3 second button push :)
Why not do it away from your face just to be safe...........bnrk

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
VEOjmok.png

(Borrowed from another forum)

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
25w sub ohm is a whole different world to 25w high ohm, and still safer than stacking.

No it's not, at least if you know what you are doing with high ohm.

I'm not into 25 Watts at Any Ohms. That IS Smoking to me. LOL

But to Each Their Own.

I don't really have a nice way to put this, but in all honesty, if you are that uninformed about high wattage vaping, you should not be commenting on it.

As for the rest of this thread, there is a lot of alarmism, mistreatment of others and straight up BS. For shame.

Always remember ... when you strap a booster like the Provari's onto an 18650, you are putting a low subohm load on it. If that doesn't make sense to you ... you have no business talking about subohm.

e30ernest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Philippines
No it's not, at least if you know what you are doing with high ohm.

I don't really have a nice way to put this, but in all honesty, if you are that uninformed about high wattage vaping, you should not be commenting on it.

As for the rest of this thread, there is a lot of alarmism, mistreatment of others and straight up BS. For shame.

Always remember ... when you strap a booster like the Provari's onto an 18650, you are putting a low subohm load on it. If that doesn't make sense to you ... you have no business talking about subohm.

I'm here to learn, so I am genuinely interested in what posts are alarmist in nature and why.

I'm thinking of exploring this aspect of vaping and I would want to learn as much as I can.

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

lctrc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2010
VA
There's a difference between trying to inform others of what the risks are and trying to tell them what level of risk they should be willing to accept. Both viewpoints unfortunately cross that line regularly.

There's also a fair bit of 'I'm better than you because I do|don't sub-ohm'.

Know what the numbers mean. Know how to use the formulas. Know that specifications aren't always accurate. Know what happens when things go badly. Understand that 'safe' isn't a state of being but rather a vague area on a continuum. Decide where on that continuum you want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread