Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I think most want vaping to be safe, viewed as safe by the general public and worry about the extreme sport of sub ohm vaping for those that don't know what they are doing.

Reminds of the fella that used non rechargeable batts in a mod and blew his face apart, he did not know what he was doing sadly but he and vaping suffered from his mistake.

The biggest fear is new comers thinking sub ohm is a newbie set up when they never heard of ohm's law.......... hmm is that some law in PA that doesn't pertain to me I live in (pick state)...you get my drift..... there are many that don't get it, we need to be sure the word is out about safety. I hope people do fear using sub ohm until they understand the risk they are taking.

For those that do know and do use sub ohm, that is fine but be sure the new folks get it before they do something really bad for their face. Just like I warn about batts in my signature, so no one uses non rechargeable batts and blows their face up, I want to see more warnings about sub ohm use as well for newbies. Just so they know, extreme sports are not for newbies, be it car racing, skiing, motocross, whatever! You have to learn the basics on the bunny slope first, same for vaping. Keep it safe first, I doubt anyone wants to blow their face up on purpose. brnk

There's a difference between trying to inform others of what the risks are and trying to tell them what level of risk they should be willing to accept. Both viewpoints unfortunately cross that line regularly.

There's also a fair bit of 'I'm better than you because I do|don't sub-ohm'.

Know what the numbers mean. Know how to use the formulas. Know that specifications aren't always accurate. Know what happens when things go badly. Understand that 'safe' isn't a state of being but rather a vague area on a continuum. Decide where on that continuum you want to be.

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
No it's not, at least if you know what you are doing with high ohm.

I don't really have a nice way to put this, but in all honesty, if you are that uninformed about high wattage vaping, you should not be commenting on it.

As for the rest of this thread, there is a lot of alarmism, mistreatment of others and straight up BS. For shame.

Always remember ... when you strap a booster like the Provari's onto an 18650, you are putting a low subohm load on it. If that doesn't make sense to you ... you have no business talking about subohm.

dr g, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. ECF is and has always been a place to which people can come to read and learn about their vaping experience. If some are uninformed, your 'request' that they not comment about it makes no sense to me. How will people learn without an open space to make comments? This forum, as I'm sure you know, attracts vapers with varied levels of experience. This is not a high wattage vaping specific forum.

By telling people that you "don't really have a nice way to put this" and "you have no business talking about subohm", you basically just fell into category #2 on your list.

"For shame."

I think most want vaping to be safe, viewed as safe by the general public and worry about the extreme sport of sub ohm vaping for those that don't know what they are doing.

Reminds of the fella that used non rechargeable batts in a mod and blew his face apart, he did not know what he was doing sadly but he and vaping suffered from his mistake.

The biggest fear is new comers thinking sub ohm is a newbie set up when they never heard of ohm's law.......... hmm is that some law in PA that doesn't pertain to me I live in (pick state)...you get my drift..... there are many that don't get it, we need to be sure the word is out about safety. I hope people do fear using sub ohm until they understand the risk they are taking.

For those that do know and do use sub ohm, that is fine but be sure the new folks get it before they do something really bad for their face. Just like I warn about batts in my signature, so no one uses non rechargeable batts and blows their face up, I want to see more warnings about sub ohm use as well for newbies. Just so they know, extreme sports are not for newbies, be it car racing, skiing, motocross, whatever! You have to learn the basics on the bunny slope first, same for vaping. Keep it safe first, I doubt anyone wants to blow their face up on purpose. brnk

bnrkwest, I have no idea if this thought has been threaded to death here on ECF, but I am prolly not alone in having some trepidation about being in the presence of someone sub ohming (assuming that person does not have the knowledge that we are discussing here). If a battery fails and someone's face gets that fail, would it not be a danger to those in the vicinity as well?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
What part of "To Each Their Own" did you Not Understand?

:facepalm:

If you really believed that you wouldn't spread an ignorant viewpoint, like equating a certain wattage with smoking. In reality, lower wattages are as likely -- if not more likely -- to be more similar to smoking.

Almost all damaging-to-vaping incidents have not been subohm devices. There are reasons for that.

Link?

bnrkwest, I have no idea if this thought has been threaded to death here on ECF, but I am prolly not alone in having some trepidation about being in the presence of someone sub ohming (assuming that person does not have the knowledge that we are discussing here). If a battery fails and someone's face gets that fail, would it not be a danger to those in the vicinity as well?

If you do not have the same "trepidation" about someone using a large regulated APV, you don't understand things enough to be condemning others. That's the point here. Subohm users are taking abuse from other members literally because of those members' own ignorance. There is nothing inherently dangerous about putting a load under 1 ohm on a battery and every full power regulated device does it.

I'm here to learn, so I am genuinely interested in what posts are alarmist in nature and why.

I'm thinking of exploring this aspect of vaping and I would want to learn as much as I can.

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Honestly, throw this entire thread in the trash. Find one that focuses on the physics of successful subohm use by regular subohm users. Any post where someone derides someone else for using subohm can almost universally be thrown in the trash.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you really believed that you wouldn't spread an ignorant viewpoint, like equating a certain wattage with smoking. In reality, lower wattages are as likely -- if not more likely -- to be more similar to smoking.

Almost all damaging-to-vaping incidents have not been subohm devices. There are reasons for that.

Link?

If you do not have the same "trepidation" about someone using a large regulated APV, you don't understand things enough to be condemning others. That's the point here. Subohm users are taking abuse from other members literally because of those members' own ignorance. There is nothing inherently dangerous about putting a load under 1 ohm on a battery and every full power regulated device does it.

Believe it or Not, Some of Us have Tried Lower Ohm Vaping with Various Scenarios and just Don't Like it.

So Why is it that whenever someone Disagrees with you, or Doesn't Vape the way You Vape, that you say they Don't Understand Things?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

Link?

You would probably do better trying to teach people why something is rather than making snide comments and just claiming it is.
Unless you just want to make snide comments.
I'm guessing it's the later because that's pretty much all I see you doing.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA

It was a tube mod with stacked CR123A's IIRC..

Electronic cigarette explodes in man's mouth, causes serious injuries - HealthPop - CBS News

(CBS/AP) So much for being safer. An electronic cigarette blew up in a Florida man's face, leaving him in a hospital with severe burns, missing his front teeth and a chunk of his tongue.

Holloway was at his home office when the device exploded, leaving behind burned carpet, chair cushions, pictures and office equipment. A scorched battery case found on a piece of melted carpet appears to be one for a cigar-sized device, the report said. Those in the house with him rushed to his aid in the smoke-filled room and tried to put the fire out with salt, the report said.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Believe it or Not, Some of Us have Tried Lower Ohm Vaping with Various Scenarios and just Don't Like it.

So Why is it that whenever someone Disagrees with you, or Doesn't Vape the way You Vape, that you say they Don't Understand Things?

No one ever said you can't have preferences, but you can't have your own facts. Nothing about subohm vaping is closer to smoking than any other kind of vaping. It's possible you did something wrong to produce poor results, and obviously if that is the case you should not be comparing your failure to proper use.

Again in reality, lower wattage, especially "consumer" vaping is more likely to generate actual smoke than subohm. I notice you don't ever address the actual substance of what I'm saying.

It was a tube mod with stacked CR123A's IIRC..

Electronic cigarette explodes in man's mouth, causes serious injuries - HealthPop - CBS News

Appear to be rechargeable CR123s from all sources I see. This is a stacked-battery failure, something that actually was not well known until fairly recently (because of the failures with injury). It was triple stacked in this case.

No one subohms with stacked batteries.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No one ever said you can't have preferences, but you can't have your own facts. Nothing about subohm vaping is closer to smoking than any other kind of vaping. It's possible you did something wrong to produce poor results, and obviously if that is the case you should not be comparing your failure to proper use.

Again in reality, lower wattage, especially "consumer" vaping is more likely to generate actual smoke than subohm. I notice you don't ever address the actual substance of what I'm saying.

I can't Address what you are Saying because you don't speak much In Specifics. I'm Not Even Sure what you are Posting Many Times.

But one thing I Think I Understand. And that is You don't seem to be able to Perceive that Some People have Tried Sub-Ohm and it just Isn't what they Like or Want to Do.

News Flash: One Size Doesn't Fit All.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I can't Address what you are Saying because you don't speak much In Specifics. I'm Not Even Sure what you are Posting Many Times.

If you don't understand what I wrote, clarify before replying. I've posted plenty of categorically specific statements.

But one thing I Think I Understand. And that is You don't seem to be able to Perceive that Some People have Tried Sub-Ohm and it just Isn't what they Like or Want to Do.

News Flash: One Size Doesn't Fit All.

News Flash for you: Putting your head through an armhole doesn't necessarily mean the shirt doesn't fit.

Everything you've posted indicates you don't understand subohm and/or high-wattage vaping. Take your head out of the armhole.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
You bring up a very valid point, who wants to be witness to an accident like that and who wants to be part of the accident if this person happens to be sitting beside you. A scary thought! bnrk

st0nedpenguin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2010
WA
Wire temperature is in the same range for all properly operating atomizers.

Thicker wire runs cooler and doesn't burn juice the same way that thin wire does at higher watts.

Surface area also comes into play.

I don't really have a nice way to put this, but in all honesty, if you are that uninformed about high wattage vaping, you should not be commenting on it.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
The way I see it, all battery failure is chemistry, we must understand what makes a batts chemistry become unstable and what to do to keep that from happening whether you do or don't do sub ohm. Doesn't take much to have a battery failure, just put one in your pocket with loose change. I actually had a cig a like batt fail and vent and smoke because of putting it on the wrong charger, so even the safest batts can fail and vent. I have had brand new IMR's over heat on a new charger, stuff happens. brnk

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
snip...

Honestly, throw this entire thread in the trash. Find one that focuses on the physics of successful subohm use by regular subohm users. Any post where someone derides someone else for using subohm can almost universally be thrown in the trash.

dr g, there is simply no reason for you to continue in this manner. Perhaps I do not have your wisdom when it comes to vaping, but I am neither abusing nor condemning others who choose to vape in a manner that appears to be unsafe. If it were safe, why all the threads asking about the dangers? Why are so many not in favor of it? That is asking for information, and is not meant as a snarky or snide comment.

If you don't understand what I wrote, clarify before replying. I've posted plenty of categorically specific statements.

News Flash for you: Putting your head through an armhole doesn't necessarily mean the shirt doesn't fit.

Everything you've posted indicates you don't understand subohm and/or high-wattage vaping. Take your head out of the armhole.

This is just beyond rude. Please check the ECF rules as soon as you can.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Thicker wire runs cooler and doesn't burn juice the same way that thin wire does at higher watts.

Surface area also comes into play.

Wire temperature is only really useful as a conceptual model for understanding the relationship between wire size and current. The actual temperature curve of the wire plateaus around operating temperature.

Surface area does come into play but not for operational temperature. It does determine atomization area. It is why, for example, my 3.1 ohm single coil atomizer beats out my .65 ohm dual coil atomizer at the same wattage.

To answer you OP, it's not dangerous, at all. The variable known as MAN adds the element of danger.

Yep. This explains why no bad vaping failure news stories have been subohm. Subohm vapers are using single batteries to get strong vapor performance. They know right away if something isn't right and won't be holding a failing battery up to their face. Most subohm setups don't charge in-mod so that eliminates the charge mode of failure, which is one of the most common. The single battery eliminates the stacked battery mode of failure. And a battery simply being in a mod eliminates another common failure modes, external shorting (which of course can't be blamed on the mod at all when it happens).

It's almost always the ign'ant ego user who didn't realize they have to pay attention to their devices, or who would continue to suck on a malfunctioning device since their vapor production is low to begin with, that ends up on the news.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Wire temperature is only really useful as a conceptual model for understanding the relationship between wire size and current. The actual temperature curve of the wire plateaus around operating temperature.

Surface area does come into play but not for operational temperature. It does determine atomization area. It is why, for example, my 3.1 ohm single coil atomizer beats out my .65 ohm dual coil atomizer at the same wattage.

Is this Politian Speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread