How long before cigarette cravings stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda19

Jun 7, 2011
florida
We went back to vaping after giving up once before and we really want it to work this time. We only smoked about 1/2 pack a day, but did enjoy after meals or when stressed about something.

We are totally only vaping for about 6 weeks now. I am using an EVOD and also an aspire bdc with a 12 juice. I like both of those and really have no problems, but still have cravings. I do not want to give it up this time. When will these cravings go away or at least lessen?

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Hi Linda, and welcome (back?) to the ECF forums! Good luck on quitting!

Quick question, as I NEVER craved a cigarette AFTER I got a setup and juice that worked for me. What mg nic are your vaping? I fond the secret for me, was to start at 24mg/ml, and vape hard when I first woke up. I never used to smoke until I had my first coffee, which was often an hour after waking.

By vaping as soon as I rolled out of bed, my nic level was MORE than sufficiently high, before my body normally experienced any at all. Then I vaped often enough during the day and frequently enough, to never let my nic level fall, thus crave. Everyone is different, but that is what worked for me.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
When I started, I was very willing to spend two months of cigarette money to get started. I bought a spare system, I bought WHATEVER was needed. For my juice, people spoke of 18-24mg, I went higher. I had to have the confidence that if IO took a draw, or three, I was getting the nicotine that my body craved. It worked on the first day.

If the nic content is to strong, I just take less draws. If it is to weak, I tape the mod to my mouth. Just take 1-3 draws when you feel the craving. To much, to little, then adjust.

Worry about clouds and chain vaping later. Just get rid of the cigs.

Good luck!

MrDripper

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2015
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
The great thing about vaping is that you CAN smoke a cigarette IF you really need to. There is no inherent danger from nicotine overdose or anything like that. What you are experiencing is the withdrawl from the other additives they put into smokes that keep you addicted. It will pass, I promise you. Hit the vape a little harder if you're under duress or, give in and have a cigarette. If you haven't had a smoke in 6 weeks, you'll find out how disgusting it is.
Wishing you luck and Vape On!

Reactions: David Wolf

linda19

Jun 7, 2011
florida
Wow - thanks for such quick replies. We threw out all cigs and ashtrays, otherwise we would have caved by now. I will try a higher nic level but I honestly don't think it's that. As I mentioned we were never heavy smokers. It's so great to know I can turn to you folks when I get weak willed and will get such quick encouragement. Thank you guys.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
If you haven't had a smoke in 6 weeks, you'll find out how disgusting it is.
Wishing you luck and Vape On!
People who allow themselves six weeks without a cig, if they have that one last cig, the taste and smell have woken up enough that it tastes awful. I quit immediately after buying my first cigalike, and, soon after smelling second-hand cig smoke was sufficient to disgust me. However, my mod is usually either in my left hand, or available in a few seconds.

Reactions: MrDripper

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
By vaping as soon as I rolled out of bed, my nic level was MORE than sufficiently high, before my body normally experienced any at all. Then I vaped often enough during the day and frequently enough, to never let my nic level fall, thus crave. Everyone is different, but that is what worked for me.

This -- the *constancy* of being able to vape was the winner for me; I couldn't vape 24mg if my life depended on it, even 12mg made me sick as a goat, but being able to vape anytime the thought crossed my mind, not having to run outdoors every 30 minutes, was the real key.

Also -- and this may be the case for you as for any very-light smoker -- it may not be the nicotine your body is craving, but perhaps one or more of the other tobacco alkaloids. If you get past 3 months smoke-free and STILL have STRONG cravings, then my suggestion would be WTA -- whole tobacco alkaloids.

I have a page about WTA on my website, if you want to know more about it. -> Angry Vaper - About WTA

I highly recommend WholeCig, if you decide to try it out. MUCH cheaper than Aroma's, and every bit as pure and effective. WTA is expensive, but cheaper than cigarettes in every possible way. I started out with WTA using it as 10% of my vape; now down to 1.4% after gradually reducing it all year.

Andria

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Hi Linda, and welcome (back?) to the ECF forums! Good luck on quitting!

Quick question, as I NEVER craved a cigarette AFTER I got a setup and juice that worked for me. What mg nic are your vaping? I fond the secret for me, was to start at 24mg/ml, and vape hard when I first woke up. I never used to smoke until I had my first coffee, which was often an hour after waking.

That was the key for me as well , the 12 mg and even 18 mg did not stop the cravings when i first started , 24 mg stopped them though.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
12mg is not much. Everybody likes to say how they have dropped nicotine levels (and this is good) but technology and power play an important part in that.

6 weeks is too long to still be having real cravings. The feeling you might enjoy a smoke is not always a craving... so best to try and work out for sure.

I would suggest a higher nicotine level (18mg?) or getting a more powerful e-cig. An evod and BDC is not much more than those early eGo e-cigs.

How much liquid are you using? 1ml of 12mg liquid is not the same as 12 cigarettes of 1.0mg.

I started on 16mg then upped to 24mg on cig-a-likes, that didn't work.
Then I got into eGo e-cigs and went to 18mg, that DID work.
Soon after, I dropped to 12mg. I still use 6-12 in medium power kit, 6 in subtanks and whatever I find (3mg, some 1.5mg) in drippers.

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
How long you have a craving for a stinkie can vary greatly from one person to another. I didn't have any cravings after about the first week and thought I had it totally licked. Then, one day about nine months into vaping, I had a terrible craving for a cigarette. I switched back to one of my older juices with a higher nic content for a day and the cravings were gone by the next day.

Reactions: supertrunker

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Dont fight with stinkies. If you feel you need to smoke one just smoke. After a week I dont think you can, but do it all the same.
You have to increase the nic content a bit too.
You have to get rid of holywood effects first.
Light one when you wake up
light one after every meal
light one when drinking
etc...
Vape first. If you still need one light one. Because sooner or later it will not be your old friend. It will be a stinky (I cant think I can finish one even if I am forced)
Dont count yhe ones you smoked. Count the ones you did not.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yeah I didn't start with any "plan" to quit smoking. I started trying vaping as an experiment, to see how many cigarettes i could replace with vaping. Within a week, I had cut down 50%; after 3 wks, I was at one cigarette a day, and I figured if I could deal with just one a day, I could probably deal just fine without it. Which was true. :D

If someone had told me I HAD to quit smoking just because I had started vaping... I would have said no thanks, here, take this vape crap back. Only when I saw for myself that it really was a great substitute, did I actually quit cigarettes.

Andria

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
We went back to vaping after giving up once before and we really want it to work this time. We only smoked about 1/2 pack a day, but did enjoy after meals or when stressed about something.

We are totally only vaping for about 6 weeks now. I am using an EVOD and also an aspire bdc with a 12 juice. I like both of those and really have no problems, but still have cravings. I do not want to give it up this time. When will these cravings go away or at least lessen?

When you finally realise how rough burning tobacco tastes compared to vaping it's quite likely you won't want to smoke a cigarette.

Many vapers aren't satisfied with the equipment they've had in the past because of a lack of flavour, power or vapour and so they eventually upgraded. I used to use a Vision Spinner with a Protank (in my box of stuff i no longer use) but the flavour was non existant after using the coil for just a few hours, and so i upgraded to something with more power, and an atomizer which would consistantly provide me with the flavour of the juice i'm using. I didn't stop there !. I continue to use this setup but have more powerful devices with atomizers (RTA's) which can produce much more vapour. So now i'll switch between these different setups whenever i feel like it. Maybe this ability to switch acts like a substitute for smoking. Instead of lighting up i'll just switch the type of device i'm using. I love my Provari / Kayfun v4 setup. It provides me the same amount of vapour your Evod does but the flavour is exactly as it should be and the throat hit is so much more superiour to tobacco. When i want to switch i'll fire up a box mod with an RTA which gives me large volumes of vapour, plenty of taste and the novelty of the giant clouds is enough of a distraction that i forget i ever smoked at all. I can always switch back to my Provari though, or whatever other tube mod i have on the back burner.

Dripping can be another distraction from smoking too. I haven't got round to it yet as the setups i have seem to be doing the job. It is a good idea to have more options though.

You can never have too much vaping hardware in your arsenal.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The cravings never really went away entirely, for me. I'm almost a full year in to vaping, completely quit since April, and sometimes I still feel like I'd like to just light up a good old stinky. I miss the "ritual," I guess. Open the pack, pull one out, close the pack, flick the lighter, puff-puff, inhale...it's a whole different experience than just puffing on a vaporizer. Then I'll walk past someone smoking one and I'll smell it and remember that oh yeah, I don't really want to smoke one, I just thought I did.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
This -- the *constancy* of being able to vape was the winner for me; I couldn't vape 24mg if my life depended on it, even 12mg made me sick as a goat, but being able to vape anytime the thought crossed my mind, not having to run outdoors every 30 minutes, was the real key.

Also -- and this may be the case for you as for any very-light smoker -- it may not be the nicotine your body is craving, but perhaps one or more of the other tobacco alkaloids. If you get past 3 months smoke-free and STILL have STRONG cravings, then my suggestion would be WTA -- whole tobacco alkaloids.

I have a page about WTA on my website, if you want to know more about it. -> Angry Vaper - About WTA

I highly recommend WholeCig, if you decide to try it out. MUCH cheaper than Aroma's, and every bit as pure and effective. WTA is expensive, but cheaper than cigarettes in every possible way. I started out with WTA using it as 10% of my vape; now down to 1.4% after gradually reducing it all year.

Andria

^^^^^ This...!

Congratulations quitting the smokes, I needed 24 mg nic to toss the smokes after a 40 year pack a day habit. With 24 mg I was able to stop smoking immediately and not look back.

Additionally....Nice website, @AndriaD...!!

Reactions: AndriaD

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
you can also keep a spare setup with high strength nicotine just for times when you get cravings;
during my first few months vaping i used to keep a v-nano cigalike sized thing with some 24mg cuban cigar at the side of my keyboard at home; i'd take a couple tokes with my morning coffee, then off to work with my regular setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread