How long does your equipent last?

How long does your equipent last before it brakes,Stops working?Bad switch?

• 1 week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 month

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 6 month

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • year +

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • Move on to new stuff before it can break.

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
vaping 23 months now. I can't be certain about some of the starter stuff that I gave away, but nothing I've ever bought or built has died while it was in my possession except one drip tip when I dropped the mod it was attached to, and one DNA30 board in a mod I'd built when I put the battery in backwards in a moment of absent-mindedness.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I guess it's actually a hard question to answer;
my main vape right now can last years probably decades, but I have used stuff in the past that has failed.

Yes the switch mechanism is a point of failure; it's a moving part; it is an electrical touch-contact point subject to corrosion; and if you have a switch integrated onto a pcb circuitboard, eventually the switch can go bad on an otherwise perfectly working board.

I use kicked mechs.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
My IPV mini (30w - same thing) is over a year old and works just as well now as the day I pulled it outta the mailbox. Mechs? If those work well when they first arrive, they'll never be a problem. If they're a PITA right outta the mail, they'll be garbage forever after lol

My Coolfire IV's are too young to really gauge, but the oldest of them is about three months old, and still works like a champ. The finish on the purple one was getting a little dinged up, but I put that one through hard use (Crammed it into a bike pack with a phone and keys and a tank), so that's expected...I put a JWrap on it, and it looks better than ever! Still works great.

MVP 20w - a year old, still works just fine. I just hate the button placement and the fact that I can't put a sub-ohm RDA on it, but it is what it is...

EPower variable voltage only - the ego connector's is getting a little floppy, but it still works.

2 Vision Spinners (original version, not that cockamamie version II) - WAY over a year old, and I keep them to give away to newbs who show an interest in vaping. They work just fine.

I've been vaping for a little over four years now, and it's been my experience that most PV's last a little over a year before the internal, non-replaceable battery can't hold a charge anymore and has to be tossed. Notable exceptions: The Vision Spinner II (had charging issues from get-go-one) but that's along the same lines as everything else. If it works great at first, it'll probably go on doing that. And if it doesn't work well when it's brand new, it's gonna get tossed in a few months when I lose patience with it.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
In the time I've been vaping, I've had a few failures:

• Vamo V3 510 threads stripped out
  • Innokin SVD button failure
  • Istick 50 electrical failure
Other than that, everything else I have is still working, and I've got about thirty or so devices, a mix of regulated and mechanical.

Even the two Ego C-Twists I bought when I started vaping are still working, even though battery life has decreased pretty significantly.

Drummel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
Sycamore, IL
I still have my original "gear" (lol) from late '09. I still have my first homemade box mod and a few test builds after it, all my Ego stuff. With the exception of ego batteries and old click switch cigalike batteries dying I really have not had a death in the vape family yet. I have a minor break with my IPV 2 Mini, the charge port snapped inside - a drop off the desk caused that to happen, but I never used it so I just fished out the broken piece.

In the time I've been vaping I've had one eGo battery that gave up the ghost, and one X6 battery that the button failed on and stopped firing. The rest of my early gear I gave away to vapefam, and I haven't had used any one piece of equipment solely for more than a few months at a time; I have about 5 Kayfuns, and I will on occasion take a couple apart and put them together with parts from each other, just because I can. Oh and I bought a very cheap iStick clone when they first came out which failed right out of the box, but I managed to get that replaced, and the replacement is still working fine. My stepson on the other hand, claims that almost every mod he's ever owned has failed - eGos, MVPs; I have stopped giving him my castoffs, as they "just break" when he has them. And the only mod I've ever dropped (Cloupor GT), was when I was saying goodbye to him in a carpark, and he accidentally knocked it out of my hand. It got scratched up, but still works.

Reactions: Rossum

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I've only had two issues, both related to 510 threads wearing out. The threads on my otherwise solid IPV 3 that wore out after 4 months (it's still in service thanks to 510 adapters), and the threads on a really crappy Kayfun clone that didn't even last 2 weeks. Both my Isticks (20 and 50 watt) have and still do work great, despite being used like 5 dollar something or other's.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've only been vaping 16 months. In that time the transitions were Vision spinner II, IPV 2s, iStick 50, Kangxin mini, evic vtc mini. All of them are working fine the last time I checked. The threading for recharging on the spinner II is oversize so recharging is a hastle. Several of them have 510 threading that is slightly oversize which will shorten the life of the part. That's an annoying flaw. I would replace those 510 connectors if I had access to the parts just so my atomizers mount better.

There might be a place in the market for a regulated mod that's engineered and advertised for long service life in case of vapocalypse. May be they are already as rugged as they need to be. I would like to be able to replace 510 connectors that are machined over size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread