How Long Does Your Wick Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

menace66

Oct 1, 2015
Hi guys,

I would like to know how long does it take before you need to rewick your RBA. Seems like I will need to do it after 2 tanks of juice but sometimes for certain juices after only 1 tank. Ater this point, the wick deteriorates fast and will have a burnt taste with increasing frequency of burnt hits.

Wondering if this is normal? I have been vaping for 2mths now and rebuilt countless of times. But I think its a bit too quick to be wicking every 2 tanks? Although i use different mods all the time, the frequency of wicking is always the same.

Especially need answers from Kanger Subtank Mini users. Thanks in advance. :)

- Kanger Subtank Mini
- RBA mini plus
- IPV3Li/IPVD2/Sigelei 150W TC
- Kanthal 3mm 24ga 6 wraps for 0.55ohms
- 19 to 24 watts range of use
- usually 50/50 juice with 6mg Nic minty and sweet flavours
- cotton slides in with a little bit of resistance. I would say its a good acceptable amt from the youtube vidz i watched.
- coils changed after every 4 tanks of vaping
- tend to chain vape especially at home.

Last edited:

LarryYo

Unresolved Status
Feb 26, 2015
Bell California
How long do these tanks last you? I ran the subtank before i got the TFV4 and i would only only to rewick every other week I was using a 22g 7wrap just about .45ohms and would fire it around 50W just about what i do with my current tank. I go through roughly 2-3 tanks a day, now that i have switched to 6mg nic I have only go through 1-2 now.

menace66

Oct 1, 2015
Every 2 Tanks seems way to short to have to Re-Wick your Subtank RBA section at the Ohms/Watts you are using.

Do you have the New style RBA Section with the 2 Holes in the side of the RBA Barrel? Or do you have the Original style with the Slots in the Base of the RBA section?

Yup. I am having the new type RBA with 2 holes at the sides.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

menace66

Oct 1, 2015
Reactions: zoiDman

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
Does seem that dessert flavors gunk up the coil faster than fruits. Also, spices simply can't handle higher wattage. I also chain vape and find that long sessions have a tendency to gunk up my coils much faster. I usually get about 8/9 tanks before I have to change my cotton, but had better luck with cotton bacon than with JOC. But that is just my experience. I do a very similar set up as you, but around .40ohms, and run about 80%VG. Also, Minty are sometimes made with mint oils and therefore will gunk up your coils. Menthol is just the crystallized by product of peppermint oil... I think, maybe spearmint oil...can't remember

Also, why are you changing your coils so often? I have had one in my subtank mini for 2 months and another for 5 weeks or so. Your running a large enough wire to just clean and rewick.

An effective way to clean, I have never seen this anywhere, so I can't point you to a video: remove cotton, rinse base, pulse coil, while coil is still hot, run water pik over coil at no higher that a 4 setting. Move the water pik around to get between everything. pulse and water pik until clean, be careful not to get too much splash on the battery, takes less than 30 seconds. Rewick, vape!

I know there are videos out there that use a bowl of water or running water, but if you have a water pik, this method will blast out any burnt bits everywhere!

I also use this method on my Aspire/Uwell/and Starre stock coils, you have to be more careful with these, no higher than 2 on the water pik, but just stick the tip down into the air flow hole and blast out all around the coils. Works Great!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I rewick my rda after maybe 3 days; about 20ml;
I bought a 10pack of the subtank rba heads so that I could just swap coils during the week and rewick once a week on sundays but those newer style heads with the big holes on the side tend to leak a lot, so I've really only got one rba head which is the first design with the juice channels

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Well for me.. using NET juices at less than 15 watts...... it depends on the wick material. For cotton/rayon I get 4-10ml of juice, for Stainless and Silica, I can use the same coil and wick until I get bored with the coil. Now the stainless and silica still require almost daily cleaning (dryburn) but I don't have to change anything unless I want to. Never left a build in an atty long enough to see how long a coil will last.

Reactions: yourgurnard

Gillistration

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2015
I have had my Subox mini for a couple of months no. Since The occ vehicle coils only last me 2-3 days, I started playing around with the RBA deck(with varying degrees of success). I've been using the wraps that come with the tank (which may be the problem) and I've only been able to wick it successfully once without it tasting burnt or cottony. I've attempted it 4 or 5 times now and the only time I feel like I got it right, it only lasted for about a day. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong but I welcome any insite you guys may have.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have had my Subox mini for a couple of months no. Since The occ vehicle coils only last me 2-3 days, I started playing around with the RBA deck(with varying degrees of success). I've been using the wraps that come with the tank (which may be the problem) and I've only been able to wick it successfully once without it tasting burnt or cottony. I've attempted it 4 or 5 times now and the only time I feel like I got it right, it only lasted for about a day. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong but I welcome any insite you guys may have.

Which rba deck do you have, the first version with the juice channels or the second version with the big holes?
The first version you are more likely to get burnt hits at high wattage;
the second version you are more likely to get flooding/leaking.

Gillistration

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2015
Which rba deck do you have, the first version with the juice channels or the second version with the big holes?
The first version you are more likely to get burnt hits at high wattage;
the second version you are more likely to get flooding/leaking.
I'm using the second version. I am not getting any leaking with the RBA deck. I am getting leaking with the occ coils.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I usually get a week on a wick with high PG juices.

Recently, hurricane Joaquim affected USPS and other carriers in North Carolina and my order got lost. I had to go into my emergency stash of juices that I tried and didn't really like for daily vaping. Some of those were high VG. I'm a 80pg/20vg guy. Those high VG juices gunked up my coils in a couple of days and the flavor started to fall, so I was re-wicking two or three times a week.

Reactions: edyle

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA
Well...I Can Say That ReadyXwick last me Months. I have Coils and Wicks of Daily Use at the moment that are from July at least...as long as the the Weave is not Broken do not know when They will give out...the Coils are steady reading 1.0 out of .32
I Understand the Reservations, But I am Not a Very Good Builder and Do not like Installing. So it Works For Me...

Reactions: vape2k

menace66

Oct 1, 2015
Give it a Shot. It does work Very Well. And it is Easy to do.

So this was what I did. Noticed maybe a 20% improvement on my wick life but still well short of what I will need. I also realized that only 1 of my juices is lasting abt 3tanks and still going well.

My guess is that all my other juices are gunking up my coils too much hence wick gets destroyed fast after 2 tanks? I usually vape sweet fruity and minty juices. When I rewick after every 2 tanks, I can visually notice gunk on my coils.

Any other comments or ideas? Will using spaced coils help? That will be my next move.

sshot-3.jpg

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread