How long should you change your RBA coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
In general I run my coils until they either pop or the resistance changes drastically due to age. As stated above, if the flavor starts to drop off, taste awful, excessive popping, off flavor just open the RBA/RTA to the coil, remove the wicking, pulse the coil to burn off carbon and crud, rinse under water, rewick, prime, slap together, refill the tank, off and running again, 5minutes tops

Reactions: Gahh and z3n

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi guys,
I'm a newbie in RBA world, been vaping for around 8 months though.
Is there any standard way/method to let you know that you should change your RBA coil?
I mean by counting days or maybe by judging from the taste or any other solid ways for sure.
Thank you. :toast:

Days really aren't that Meaningful. Because the Reader has No Way of Knowing how much e-Liquid was used in 1 Day.

Total Milliliters is Better, but the Reader doesn't know at what Wattage the e-Liquid was Vaped at.

And Lastly, neither Days or ml is all that great if you don't know how Flavored and Sweetened an e-Liquid is. I recently switched to Unflavored and HOV (Hint of Flavor) e-Liquids. My coils are Lasting MUCH LONGER.

I think the Only way to know for sure is to just try it for yourself.

:)

Reactions: Gahh

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I wish I could say a year like The Ocelot but mine start to look kinda rusty like after about 6-8 months :confused: so I'll recoil it then (not sure if that brown rusty stuff is good to vape). I'll dryburn and rewick every day though (sometimes twice a day).

I build my coils differently from most people (I know of). I leave the tails long and bend them up along the posts. Periodically, I bend the tails down, remove the coil and soak it, scrub the deck, then put the coil back on.

Reactions: opticruby

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
I build my coils differently from most people (I know of). I leave the tails long and bend them up along the posts. Periodically, I bend the tails down, remove the coil and soak it, scrub the deck, then put the coil back on.

That sounds like a really good idea, I'm going to give this a try myself. Thankyou for the tip.

A year is a fantastic amount of time to run a coil.

Reactions: The Ocelot

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Thanks a lot guys...
I might just try to re-coil once a month then. Inhaling vapor from 6+ months burning iron (coil) just doesn't sound right to me. :danger:
Once a month is plenty often, and it's easy to remember. Coils are cheap to make and don't take long, so replace them as often as you're comfortable. You might find (depending on vaping habits and juice choice) that you can go a couple or three months on a single coil and it'll still be in good shape and reads correctly on an ohm meter. I'd personally never go over three months, myself... two is my standard... also easy to remember on the first of even months. I do re-wick and dry burn every 3 to 4 days, however... NET liquids really gunk coils and wicks quickly. That's cheap, too, however... no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread