How many holes for good tank cartomizer "wicking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hello all. For a couple of years me and cartomizers have managed to never get along. I am 100% dripper but I do like the idea of tanks and such but I fear I might need some assistance in getting the best out of them.

I have tried regular old cartomizers, those clearomizers(CE2/CE3 i think?) and also yer standard tank and tank cartomizer.
My draw is medium pull long draw and no matter what carto I use I seem to get ever close to the dreaded dry hit (just about my biggest foe in vaping)

I love dripping with atomizers and I just jumped into rebuildables (friggin sweet!) but I still want to give the ole tank cart a fair shake.

Seems to come down to not enough juice staying in my carto with my draw. The ones I have used just have the 1 small hole. I was gonna try to drill/punch more holes but I figured I would get some suggestions on how many holes/size of holes works best.

Any and all input appreciated. Thanks!!

Secret_77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Hi - I only vape VG juices and post sacrificing a couple cartos to my dremel trying to slot them, I started just punching two holes along with that minuscule hole it the carto has and that has been working great for me.

I picked up a saddle valve at my local home depot and that worked fine. No need to drill or dremel.

Hope this helps!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm primarily a carto tank vapor. For about 3 months I had been using the Smoktech dual coil cartos in several Smoktech DCT tanks and a few pyrex tanks on a Silver Bullet and BB. I started with pre-punched cartos, then began punching my own with Phiniac's carto punch. I got frustrated with that because often these cartos became out-of-round with the punched holes I made, making it difficult to pass them thru the tank end caps, even after lubing them with juice and using a Slap-Yo-Moma tank tool. I tried slotting with a dremmel, but often this flooded my cartos.

I also noted that no matter what method I used, the dual coils frequently got a burnt or hot flavor to them, especially with fruit flavors. I had read discussions that dual coils drain batteries faster than single coils, and read opinions that they don't perform to their best unless given at least 4.8v of power. So I thought, why not give some single coil cartos a try on my 3.7v mods.

I ordered directly from Smoktech. They offer the option of 1-3 holes pre-drilled, and multiple resistance choices. I got a batch of each one and two holes in 2.0 oHm resistance.

Been using them for over a week now after converting several of my tanks over, each with different juices. I put thinner to regular juices in the single-holed tanks, and the thicker viscosity juices in the two-holed tanks. I do believe I am getting more vapor, better taste of flavors, definitely moderately longer battery duration. Nice juice movement from tank to the coils. No dry hits or flooding. Best of all, no burnt taste that I often experienced with the dual coils.

The only tank I've had some issue with is the Boba's Bounty. With the two pre-drilled holes, I'm getting a stiff pull; I can get a decent vape if I do a couple of dry pulls first. Too much effort involved, I may try putting a slot in this carto.

So overall, yes, I like these single coil cartos better than the dual coils. Two thumbs up! :thumbs:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello, depending on your juice 1 or 2 holes seems to be the ususual number of holes. A good punch for beginners is the one that Phiniac sells. It is a good quality and it has a cool detail that lets you line up the end of the carto at a perfect place to put the hole in the right place. I use 50/50 ejuice and some are thicker. I was using 3 hole; 2 at the bottom and one up towards the top. Now with the heat making the juices more liquidy I found that the tank was getting flooded so I went to 2 holes at the bottom. Just make sure that the center of your carto is clear, with no obstructions. Blow any extra juice out before you place it in your tank. Making sure your carto is well saturated is a must.

I would suggest for the first time to order the smoke tech single coil, either 1.7 or 2.0 resurrector jr or reg if your using a larger tank. These are good cartos, they soak up juice much better than the boge. I use both, just figured if you want an easier go at it.

Ive used the dual coils and except that the duals ran hotter and tended to burn quicker I did not see any difference in performance or taste. If you do go with the 1.7 ohm, just make sure that if you let it sit for a while, to make a couple of dry draws with out pushing the button to saturate the top of the carto. For some reason the 1.7 on a 3.7volt device is hotter and you might burn your carto.

I regularly use Boge2.0 cartos but with them being a bit iffy right now, I would want you to go thru any un-needed frustrations that you might relate to tank and carto use like I did.

Infinitejest

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2012
AUstin, Tx
Hello, depending on your juice 1 or 2 holes seems to be the ususual number of holes. A good punch for beginners is the one that Phiniac sells. It is a good quality and it has a cool detail that lets you line up the end of the carto at a perfect place to put the hole in the right place. I use 50/50 ejuice and some are thicker. I was using 3 hole; 2 at the bottom and one up towards the top. Now with the heat making the juices more liquidy I found that the tank was getting flooded so I went to 2 holes at the bottom. Just make sure that the center of your carto is clear, with no obstructions. Blow any extra juice out before you place it in your tank. Making sure your carto is well saturated is a must.

I would suggest for the first time to order the smoke tech single coil, either 1.7 or 2.0 resurrector jr or reg if your using a larger tank. These are good cartos, they soak up juice much better than the boge. I use both, just figured if you want an easier go at it.

Ive used the dual coils and except that the duals ran hotter and tended to burn quicker I did not see any difference in performance or taste. If you do go with the 1.7 ohm, just make sure that if you let it sit for a while, to make a couple of dry draws with out pushing the button to saturate the top of the carto. For some reason the 1.7 on a 3.7volt device is hotter and you might burn your carto.

I regularly use Boge2.0 cartos but with them being a bit iffy right now, I would want you to go thru any un-needed frustrations that you might relate to tank and carto use like I did.

I switched to the 3 hole method you mentioned and it seemed to work really well in giving me a better draw, not sure if that even made a difference. What is this about problems with boges, I'm totally stocked up on them and besides the occasional failure- i thought i had screwed it. WHat makes your smoketechs in your mind superior? performance? reliability? Thanks
IJ

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I dont think that they are superior, its just that there have been some bad batches of boge going around the last few months. I believe they are being fixed. I just bought a box of 50 from vaporbeast and they are excellent. Not being sure which vendors have the newer stock or leftovers of the bad, I mentioned trying the smoketechs just as a precautionary. I got some boge with my kit 3 months ago, and when I ordered a bunch I happened to get some of the first wave of the bad ones. I wont go into details, if you want just type bad boges or bogegate on google and you will see all the posts. If you go to the carto section on these forums you will see.

I thought at the time I had the problems that it was a problem with my new phiniac tank or me. It was very frustrating and I was trying to keep the person above from having a bad first experience with their new tank.

I love boge, I have at least 15 boxes right now. I also have 3 boxes of the smoke tech that I got out of desparation when the bad boge batches were going around.

Even during the time when the bad boge were going around some people got lucky to have avoided them and never had any problems. Boges to me seem to last longer not burn out as quickly as the smoketechs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread