How many mistakes do I have to make before I do better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
He does like the scent of some of my juices, and lets me vape in his home and car, where he would not let me smoke in either.

I told him this time again, that I may never be able to give up nicotine. It changes your brain chemistry and that it was too far down the line for me to consider yet. The main battle for me would be to get off analogs for good. Told him to look up nicotine addiction, of course that is if he could take a break from hunting down tools on Craiglsit all the time. Now talk about an addiction...he does have a tool monkey on his back. :)

Of course, he still thinks that I should be over the worst of my addiction by now, and was mystified after the first couple of days, when I told him I was having a bad day craving wise but I guess it is better for him that he never really understands because the only way I think you can understand is to suffer from this addiction yourself and I would never wish this on anyone.

Hi bluebelle:

Everyone before me gave very good advice, but I just wanted to add a couple of things:
a) I've only been off analogs for 26 days so far, and I could also fall off the bandwagon...but I do try my best to vape as much as I can like my life depends on it until the cravings go away.
b) It's also good to keep in mind that any severely stressful situation is really just a FEELING (and I stress the word FEELING). It feels awful temporarily, but with a little time the bad feeling WILL pass. Nothing is forever, it just FEELS that way. Chain vape when necessary and just know the bad feelings will pass.

Simplistic advice from a simple man:
Jim

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
A few things which helped me in the transition:

It took a while before the smell of cigarettes lost its appeal for me - a few weeks. Some others around here have still enjoyed the smell after a few months. But for most of us, it is not the smell of the cigarettes which is craved, it is the sensation of smoking. If you can find a juice which has a throat hit that (for you) is comparable to what you last smoked, and which is non-sweet enough that it is somewhat similar to a tobacco flavor (even if it's not a tobacco flavor), you may find it easier for you. My TH-juice is a mix of BWB's "Nutty" and Liberty Flights almond PG, in roughly equal proportions, and I add a tiny bit of sweetener just so it isn't completely "dry" in taste. It is not a sweet juice by any stretch of the imagination, but the combination of nut flavors and the TH seems to get me by.

For those times when I have a desperate craving for a cigarette that my TH juice won't cure, I have a 24mg juice. The rest of the time, I'm anywhere between 12-18mg, and I actually have a couple 0mg juices for when I just feel like vaping with no consequences (like while I'm watching TV, etc).

If you fall off the bandwagon, don't chastise yourself. Just get back on and move forward. Like anything else in life, you are trying to do what's right, and sometimes, it takes practice to get there. You're doing great so far... just keep working towards it, and in time, you'll be totally smoke-free. It'll happen. Just believe in yourself and keep going for it!

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
I am past the 48 hour mark again! Reading this thread first thing in the morning helped me more than anyone could know.

Thank you one and all for taking the time to read my rant and to post and private message encouragement.

It is amazing how just one can bring the analog craving beast to full life force again, but this morning I beat him back and he is locked in his cage for now. It was close one, but I won.

And yes, I have promised myself, especially after my early morning battle with the beast, I will not smoke an analog today. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

And yes, I have promised myself, especially after my early morning battle with the beast, I will not smoke an analog today. :)

That's all you have to do. Is get thru Today.

And if I can do it I Know you can do it.

BTW - What mg level of e-Liquid are you using? I needed to get some 36mg to get me thru the First 2 weeks. Then I started to taper off.

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
Vaping steadily at 24 mg. I did have a bottle of 36 mg that helped me in my weaning off, I might have something left in it. Just hate to go much higher than 24 mg.

What makes you leery of vaping over 24mg? I have vaped 36mg for 2 years and I've been vaping it all day today - if you're struggling, don't be afraid of using a higher level of nic.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Vaping steadily at 24 mg. I did have a bottle of 36 mg that helped me in my weaning off, I might have something left in it. Just hate to go much higher than 24 mg.

Nothing to be afraid of with 36mg. The mg in e-Liquids don't compare well to Analogs because the Absorption Rates are Different.

Also, doing 36mg in the Mourning and then doing 24mg in the day is a Good Technique to stop the Cravings.

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
36 mg is the highest nicotine concentration available from what I understand and have read. Pretty much constantly vaping 24 mg I would think is more than most here do already.

Just speaking from my experience, but I haven't had any problems with vaping 36mg all day. I'm sure a lot of people constantly vape 24mg all day, too! Thing is, only certain vendors offer 36mg. If you find 36 mg too high, Deejstuff allows your choice of mgs in between 24 & 36 (26, 28, 30, 32).

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
I have never bought from them. I will have to try next time I have that liquid liquidity in my budget. Most don't sell any higher than 24 mg and that is referred to a lot as "high" or "super high" strength.

Today will hopefully be the worst for me although I am taking nothing for granted this time,I started feeling a little more grounded when I got 3 days completed my last attempt and that happens tomorrow morning. Will look when I get home from work and see if I still have that 36 mg bottle.

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
I have never bought from them. I will have to try next time I have that liquid liquidity in my budget. Most don't sell any higher than 24 mg and that is referred to a lot as "high" or "super high" strength.

Today will hopefully be the worst for me although I am taking nothing for granted this time,I started feeling a little more grounded when I got 3 days completed my last attempt and that happens tomorrow morning. Will look when I get home from work and see if I still have that 36 mg bottle.

For me what helped was getting a VV mod and high nic. I kinda laugh when I see 24mg as "super high". It's like my medium! Hope all works out for you. Please let me know if you need any help or anything or if you need some higher nic juice.

Foxfur

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Don't get down on yourself. The point to focus on is that you are trying! You're vaping and are also intensely conscious of the fact that analogs are killing you. THAT is majorly awesome!

I have been vaping 36mg Top Vapor juices from Mad Vapes since day one. I have tried 24mg but it doesn't have the punchy TH that I need and I ended up nearly imploding my head trying to suck enough out of my vaporizer. I can be around smokers, even in a vehicle, and haven't any temptation. The biggest thing that keeps me away from analogs is that I do not want to smell awful anymore, second is coughing & wheezing, health is 3rd or 4th.

I really enjoy vaping! We get so much cool paraphernalia and flavors to play with!

Keep trying and don't condemn yourself. I can tell how wonderful a person you are by the desire you expressed in your post. You CAN do it!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Blue, I managed to work through your entire thread and can certainly empathize with your battle. About three years ago I was a 43 year 2-3 PAD confirmed smoker when my gf wanted us to try E Cigs. I laughed at the idea but went along with it because of the coughing and wheezing that I experienced after fire suppressants were added to smokes.

The first thing you should do is figure how much you're spending a week on smokes, for me it was appalling. I'll take a guess you're going through a carton a week (I'm perhaps being conservative) in NY state so you're talking $100 a week. I was at $150 way back when and at a lot cheaper per pack cost. You need to track what you've saved after buying E Cig stuff. The reason that's important is those first six months are important. Experiment with equipment till you find what gives you the best experience. Your 900 mah batteries should be a good start, certainly better than the 510 cig type stuff I started out with. Being a lady has it's disadvantages if you're looking for style in your experience. My gf finally after all this time is retrying E cigs and she got the Ego as I decided to buy a Variable Voltage unit just to see what the talk was about. I think the VV would have been better for her battle but I don't think she likes the size of the unit.

What I would suggest is getting a bit braver with the attomizers, there is a lot of improvement from the "old days". The clearomizers are nice as well as the various tanks. Don't be shy! Ask and spend a little time on You tube. My personal favorite tank right now is from Tanks - Mom and Pop Vapor Shop. I'm using the mini 3.0 ohm Boge on my VV, but I think the 2.0 Ohm mini would work great on your new kit. They made two variations in their tank. There's a side screw to open for refilling ease and they's punched three holes in the Boge that free flows the liquid. I think they even have a video of the tanks on their site (or I saw it on You tube).

Now I'd suggest not beating yourself up on that cigarette you had. Just try to avoid the next one. My gf is much like you and much like I was. No matter how much we tried, we "needed" a cigarette from time to time. She's still smoking about 3 a day, a little at a time. I went six months having 6 a day and not being able to totally quit. Everyone is different and you just need to find what works for you. The one thing you're breaking down over the months is not so much the addiction, but the habit. For us longer term, higher PPD smokers, that really becomes ingrained in your psyche. Like you, I loved the smell of cigarettes for a long, long time. Today I still like a slight scent of it but I've actually left places that over powered me.

I'm going to end up writing a book if I don't rap up here, but I want to make one final point. At the six month mark, I realized that E Cigs were not going to be enough, something was missing for me as it is for a lot of people. Everyone has brought up the nicotine addiction that is supposed to be the reason people smoke and it is a factor. However, for many, the smoking "ritual/habit" plays a significant part. Other than these two factors there is a third, that after close self examination I was able to define as my issue- self medication.

Those other 5 minor alkaloids in conjunction with nicotine are a very effective self medication method of treating depression in your physiology for a lot of people. I know, I was one. I never smoked until I was 19 and I know where I was mentally when I started and why it was so hard for me to finally quit. I did a lot of research and with the help of fellow ECFers, I found Swedish snus. From my first portion, I never had another cigarette. That's now over two years ago.

If you find that nothing works to completely keep you off cigarettes using traditional nicquid products, look to the other various smokeless alternatives- snus, snuff, Stonewalls, Ariva, Orbs, Stix, WTA. They all give you the alkaloids from natural tobacco that your body might need.

I know you mentioned WTA earlier as something you wanted to avoid because of the added chemicals. You should just keep in mind that those same alkaloids are in every cigarette you smoke as well as all those chemical reactions created by setting organic material on fire.

Good luck on your journey. BTW, and getting back to tracking your expenditures and savings. Last year I spent all my savings from not smoking. I have a 650cc Scoot sitting in my garage, paid off with what I would have spent on cigarettes and in December my savings started up again. Now I have something else to kill myself with. :)

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Into Day 4 and I am still smoke free! :) I seem a bit more settled today. Hope it lasts.

I will have to try some 36 mg. I didn't have any left from my tapering down stash. It was just a small bottle anyway.

Just bought some more liquid from Good Prophets who is having a .99 cent 10ml sale but the highest they go is 24mg. I should be set with 24 mg for a while, I did go to town ordering. My next ordering spree which will have to be next week after payday will be for some 36 mg.

I had tapered down to one or two analogs a day and held at that level for 2 weeks. Finally made my mind up that if I kept buying a pack I would keep smoking them so I decided it had to stop sometime, all I was doing was maintaining. Lasted 10 days free. Hope it will take this time.

I do enjoy vaping more than smoking and I know what you mean about the wheezing and the terrible coughing. I sounded awful and was getting worse. Coughed so hard at times I couldn't catch my breath. I don't cough like that anymore and I am breathing easier and deeper already.

The price of analogs is outrageous in NYS. Cheapest here is about $8.00 a pack. With the cost of a new kit, atomizers, and the liquid I have purchased in that ever elusive chase for the perfect one everyone goes through, I will not probably break even for a while, but hopefully costs will start to decrease now that I will have a pretty big stock pile of liquids and my equipment is newer and functioning better.

And you can't put a price on regaining lung function and health, not to mention trying to improve yourself.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post on this thread. Reading it the last few days has helped me more than you know to keep smoke free.

Last edited:

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
I was smoke free one whole week again this morning at 9:30 A.M. :)

Over a whole carton of analogs avoided again...how cool is that? :)

First of many milestones I hope to achieve. Next step getting back to my original 10 days free.

But I am very concerned that it is getting close to the same timeframe that I failed. There have been a few uneasy moments the last day or so where the temptation has been there but I have tried to vape through them and get busy with something to take my mind off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread