1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

How many times can you recharge the 14500? 18650?

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by bmwjen, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bmwjen

bmwjen Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm just wondering. My batteries seem to be working fine. How will I know when I need new ones, besides these going totally dead?

2. MXBNW

MXBNW ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

They will start to hold a charge for not a long as new. All the battery's have a estimated amount of charges. I will hunt around and see what I can find. What brand are you using.

I was using a set of Ultrafires 18650 for almost 10 months and finally had one start to drop off faster then the others. I was rotating 4 of them. now I am using the AW HD 18650 so I will be tracking that as well.

3. bmwjen

Thank you for answering in my thread. I sorta thought I got hung out to dry at first when no one chimed in. haha

I know that I had spoke with someone on ECF that told me as soon as the light on the charger turns green to remove the batteries immediately. (because if you don't, they will lose power faster)

I also rotate my batteries, for the 14500 i've got:
    2 AW IC protected Li-ion 3.7V 14500 750 mAh
    1 Ultrafire LC 14500 900 mAh 3.6V (it's grey with black writing)
    2 Trustfire "high capacity without memory effect precise digital protection circuit built in" 14500 3.7V li ion 900 mAh
    2 AW IMR 14500 3.7V 600mAh ("the red ones" everyone talks about")

For the 18650's i've got
    2 Trustfire 18650 3.7V, 2400mAh
    1 Ultrafire XLS 18650 2600mAh 3.7V "rechargable battery with re/discharging protection circuit" (it's hot pink w/ black writing)

I hate to admit it, because i'm a fairly intelligent person, but I have no clue about mAH. I know it means milliamps , but how do mAh compare to voltage? Why is everyone so "OOOOOOOOOO" about the 5-6 volt mods? Do they produce a better vape, simply just burn juice faster? Also, I have a digital voltmeter thing that I can test atomizers with, but how can I test my Reo to see what volt i'm running at?

The batteries that work the best in the Reo mini, grand, and both of my woodviles are the "Trustfire". They seem to last the longest & give more vapor.

I honestly appreciate you responding on this thread, as i've been thinking about it all day, and even my husband couldn't really give me an answer. Ultimately i'm trying to understand the life expectancy of the rechargable li ion batteries, and how volts relate to mAhs.

4. Mudflap

Mudflap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The red label AW IMR batteries are made with a Lithium Manganese chemistry instead of Lithium Cobalt (Li-ion), a more volatile cathode material with a higher resistance to the flow of ions, resulting in heat buildup. It is best to use Li-ion cells with separate built in protection circuit (PCB).

Advantages of AW IMR batteries:
    • Has much higher discharge rate of 10-15C (for 18650 cells that's 15-20 Amps output). It should be charged at 1-2C (1.5 to 3.0 Amps).
    • Higher 3.7/3.8V nominal, charging up to 4.2V
    • Won't explode or catch fire if overcharged or short-circuited

They work better with low resistance attys. If the PCB in a Li-ion battery fails to work properly, Li-ion batteries could potentially go boom.

5V & 6V vaping is fine too, but you have to use appropriate attys. I'd not go lower than 3.0 Ω myself. It's all about delivering the amount of wattage to your atomizer that works best for your preferences.

Check out the Candle Power Forums for loads of further info. I hope that helps.

5. 5cardstud

5cardstud ECF Guru (Fusionman) Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have batteries Ive been using for 15 mo. and I've always left them on the charger for all night or all day. The charges are smart chargers and stop charging when the batteries are charged. Another thing is Li-ion batteries deteriorate faster in the uncharged state than when they're charged.

6. Mvgratz

Mvgratz Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jen, both the AW IMR 14500 and 18650 state in their specs that they are rated for >500 cycles which is why I prefer to use those exclusively. I have 6 18650's, for example in rotation between 2 REO's. Say you charge one of them every day. The specs dictate that it should last >more than 500 days (longer than that if your not recharging them every single day consistantly). The more batteries in your rotation, the longer they will last you. :)

7. bmwjen

gotcha, I think. Buy more AW-IMR batteries.

8. Big Hitter

Big Hitter Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yep, I rotate 13 AWs for 3 different 18650 REOs.

5 Black AW 2200 mah button top for the Grand
    8 RED IMR batts for the two woodvils.

I figure I am good for another year at least.

9. Lumiis

Lumiis Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Are these the Red Label AW's you were talking about? They are the ones sold by RTD, are they Li-Ion or Li-Magnesium?

[​IMG]

10. Mudflap

Mudflap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Those are the ones. They're Lithium Manganese.

11. mlinky

mlinky ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yes, those are the safe chemistry (Li-Mg) batteries.

12. Lumiis

Lumiis Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So ... Should I order these Red batts? You said to use Li-Ion batts with separate PCB, If these are the Li-Mag batts you said to not use, I'm completely confused lol, sorry.

13. Mvgratz

Mvgratz Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The RED AW IMR's pictured above are what Robert recommends for use in the REO's. 14500 for the mini and 18650 for the Grand and Woodvil. :)

14. mlinky

Supporting member
    If you use Li-Ion, you MUST use a PCB (built into the battery). You never want to use Li-Ion without protection. However, the unprotected Li-Mg are the best and safest battery, especially in the smaller (14500) sizes.

Read this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...if-reo-your-first-mod-what-you-will-need.html

15. bmwjen

those are the red ones I have.
    what is a PCB?

16. mlinky

Supporting member
    Protected Circuit Board.

17. mwa102464

mwa102464 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
    bmwjen, PCB = Protected circuit board

18. mlinky

Supporting member
    JINX....:laugh:

19. bobdog

bobdog Full Member

Can I use this battery in my grand?

Ultrafire 18650 2400mah ULTRAFIRE-18650-2400-PTD 1 7.95
    BUTTON TOP Protected
    Rechargeable Lithium
    Battery Li-Ion UF18650

20. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Hi Bobdog :) Yes you can. It will be a tight fit, but you can use it. I wouldn't recommend using the 2600 or the 2900...they're really too big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.