How many watts should I be at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunvapor

Apr 16, 2016
Just started building coils and I've been having problems with either no flavor, poor cloud production, or juice popping and dry hits. I have dual coil 9 wrap 24g kanthal. Using a segeli 150 touchscreen box mod. How many watts should I be using for this build? I've read online that 30 watts should be the maximum but that just seems really low.

Reactions: Delon

Bhoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2015
London
I had the same question when I started building. Honestly. You can find out when you install the coil. I would test up the ramp times starting from 20w and test upwards. Once wicked. I would do the same again. Some people like hot vapes. I am prefer cool vapes and more flavour sensitive. There is definitive wattage you must use but do apply some common sense. Don't go pumping 50w unless for example you've got a quad coil setup under 0.15ohms. I recently setup dual calptons 3mm 6wraps. Came up to 0.35ohms. As usual. Started at 20w and went up. Settled on 35w for me. Brother came along and same everything, different driptip and took it to 50w before he was happy. Whatever build it is. Start reasonably low and go up.

cajunvapor

Apr 16, 2016
Just out of curiosity, where did you read that 30w was the maximum?

There is no "correct" wattage to vape that build at, or any other build for that matter. Just use a setting you personally like. I personally need way more watts than 30.

Just on general Google searches. 30 watts seems to be the most recommended setting for a .3-.4 ohm coil which is the resistance of my current build. I seem to prefer 50-55 watts with this build. Just not sure about how much is too much. And what are the dangers (if any) of having my wattage too high.
Note: I only use regulated mods.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... How many watts should I be using for this build? I've read online that 30 watts should be the maximum but that just seems really low.

If someone asked you how much Tabasco Sauce they should put on a Slice of Pizza, you'd probably tell them to Start Low and add more if it isn't enough.

Same kinda applies to Watts for a Coil.

There's about a Gazillon combinations of Atomizers, Airflow Setting, Drip Tip Sizes, Wicking Amounts, e-Liquid Types, etc out there. Hard to say what Watts would work best for any given Person.

Just start Low and more the Watts up slowly. You'll know when to stop.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Dual nine wraps of 24G is a lot of metal, 30 watts will probably not even light that up properly. Assuming the wicking and airflow matches you could put at least 100 watts into them if you wanted.
As advised, the amount of power you use is down to what makes you happy. Start low and increase until vaporvana is achieved.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Just on general Google searches. 30 watts seems to be the most recommended setting for a .3-.4 ohm coil which is the resistance of my current build. I seem to prefer 50-55 watts with this build. Just not sure about how much is too much. And what are the dangers (if any) of having my wattage too high.
Note: I only use regulated mods.
Right now I have a .32ohm coil in one of my tanks. I am vaping it at 55watts and 4.2volts. I personally don't like vaping anything at more than 4.2volts.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Right now I have a .32ohm coil in one of my tanks. I am vaping it at 55watts and 4.2volts. I personally don't like vaping anything at more than 4.2volts.
That would (or should) be dependent on the coil material and type. Complex coils like fused claptons will commonly require more power than single wire coils of the same resistance, ss (or even ni200) coils with the same mass as kanthal coils will be of lower resistance but require the same power (the kanthal coils will therefore be driven at a higher voltage), etc.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Don't go pumping 50w unless for example you've got a quad coil setup under 0.15ohms.

Huh? Ive run many builds that were way over .15 over 50 watts just fine and none were dual coils. Advise like this really dosent help to much. It just makes a beginning vaper think he may be doing something wrong when he keeps his simple dual 9 wrap 24G coil under 30 watts and isnt getting a good vape.

The only thing that is a definite in coil building is Ohms Law. screw that up and your mod can become a bomb. Past that it is mostly subjective.

When I build coils after they are wrapped and installed and I have gotten the hot spots out I fire them and see if they come up to temp (Nice bright red, but not white hot) quickly. I normally take a 3-6 second puff, so i make sure my coil will come to temp with in that amount of time. If there is to much metal there I have to increase the power.

Overall there is no set run X coil at Y power. it comes down to what works for you, gives a good vape with no dry hits. Wicking and airflow have a big play in this too. massive air can help cool an otherwise too warm coil, where the opposit, a perfect coil with to little air can be to hot and singe the wicking.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The only thing that is a definite in coil building is Ohms Law. screw that up and your mod can become a bomb. Past that it is mostly subjective.

Watts law if you're using a regulated decision. An important distinction.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread