Status
Not open for further replies.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Would putting extra wraps on the negative and positive posts be a good way to up the ohm rating of a coil? or would that be a bad idea?

Any extra wraps around the positive or negative posts would not add to the total resistance of the coil
These wraps will be shorted out of the circuit by the posts
Only the wire that is between the two posts counts

LycanFury

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Croydon, Surrey, UK
Any extra wraps around the positive or negative posts would not add to the total resistance of the coil

I have a smok vivi tank i modded to be a genisis type (drilled the hole and the whole schbang). the negative post then goes down with out the collar. I hope u r getting what i am saying. sorry for the explaination, the point is when i gave 2 wraps at the negative screw and 2 at the positive screw which now has the extra height coz of the collar and 4/3 warp coil on the mesh wick. I was getting 3.1 ohms after reducing the internal ohms of the leads ( of the multimeter).
Even after i reduced the wraps to 2/3 wrap on the wick. it reduced to 2.7, no idea why? its 32 awg Kanthal, though i got it from china, i think they can't go wrong in wire. Can you please suggest a way for me to get aroung 1.8 - 2 ohms

Thanks
LF

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Get a digital multimeter, they're relatively inexpensive. Mandatory for rebuilding if your PV won't measure resistance.

OP gets his answer in the first response :) Eventually, you can just "copy" what you've done in the past, but check the resistance for awhile before you try guesstimating.

I would also recommend getting a product like Atomizer/Cartomizer Ohm Meter

Makes it really easy, madvapes has one as well once their store is back online.

Another great idea, two posts in and two great suggestions.

example 3 wraps equals 2 ohms(just guessing here) or is there another way for me to check the ohm level without having to buy something expensive?

You really should have at least a multimeter for rebuilding but let me add this.This is only based on what Ive read thus far and from my 1st experince.The number of wraps will not determine the omh rating of your coil.The omh rating is determined by the total length of risistance wire between the connection of the R wire and the NR wires.My 32 a-1 R wire is tated @ 1.2omh at 1inch,so 2 inches is 1.2omhX2=2.4omhs.Im sure if I am incorrect someone will be by in a bit to set me str8.....:)

this is of coarse based on using R wire & NR wire to make a coil for the Penelope,Im not sure what you would do if you are making a coil for an atomizer that uses only the R wire to rebuild

I would assume the pricipal would be the same.the length of resistance wire used between the 2 connectors of the atomizer,and not the number of coils.....hopefuly the more advanced folks will chime in to help us both..:)

You're right. The length of resistance wire determines overall resistance (when added to the negligible loss of current in the device itself, if you run mechanical PV's). This is something I brushed up on during the Vivi Nova experiments (seen on Ninja Vapes), and it's an important point to remember on devices like Novas that have very long leads.

Yes, you can go by past experience when wrapping coils and avoid using a multimeter, AFTER learning how to wrap great coils first.

The only thing wrapping wire around the posts does is waste your wire.

I have a smok vivi tank i modded to be a genisis type (drilled the hole and the whole schbang). the negative post then goes down with out the collar. I hope u r getting what i am saying. sorry for the explaination, the point is when i gave 2 wraps at the negative screw and 2 at the positive screw which now has the extra height coz of the collar and 4/3 warp coil on the mesh wick. I was getting 3.1 ohms after reducing the internal ohms of the leads ( of the multimeter).
Even after i reduced the wraps to 2/3 wrap on the wick. it reduced to 2.7, no idea why? its 32 awg Kanthal, though i got it from china, i think they can't go wrong in wire. Can you please suggest a way for me to get aroung 1.8 - 2 ohms

Thanks
LF

Ok, I think there's a language barrier here, but I'll attempt to help you out: Wrapping extra wire around the posts does nothing but waste your wire. The only wire that "counts" is whatever is between the posts.

Not sure how you "reduce the internal ohms of the leads of the multimeter".

Taking out a wrap from your coil will lower your resistance, so you did the right thing if you're trying to get less resistance. Switching to 30 or 28 gauge will help even more, but with 28 gauge you need many more wraps than 30 or 32 gauge to bring the resistance up sufficiently. I think 30 gauge might be the best answer in your situation

I personally do NOT recommend wick and wire coming out of china, the place is virtually overflowing with contamination and toxic waste.

Good luck! BTW, what's a "warp coil"? is that like a warp drive for your PV?? :D

nnote

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mesa
Wrapping wire around leads true does nothing... But! My trick of the trade is to have about a 1/4 inch extra wire past the pos and neg. On both posts I go all the way back around and wrap the extra wire around the lead to the SS, like doing a ace bandage wrap around a leg. This completly solves the hot uh leg problem for me. Takes a little micro surgery to do it but it keeps the resistance at the coil only and not the legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread