How much nic are we really getting from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I find that when I Sub Ohm my 3MG e-liquid gives me a buzz if I chain vape but with a Nautilus Mini I can chain vape 2ML's and not get the buzz like with a Sub Ohm tank. Still the same 3MG but definitely get more Nicotine per vape. Also i have never used a Sub Ohm tank enough at one time to empty the tank.

Vape On Safely

vape-addict

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
mississippi
In my case not enough I even mixed up some 48 mg and that wasn't enough..but hey I'm a nic addict.When I smoked I practically ate cigs I know I have irreversible damage I will die from some smoking related disease but I'm hopeful that this vaping will extend my life I few years.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
I Sub Ohm (.05Ω @ 50w) and tootle puff (1.5Ω @ 18w) and I use the same 18mg/ml juice. I rarely have any problems with nicotine buzz. And yet, if I chew a 4mg nicotine gum, I definately get the hiccups and a buzz! (and this can be right after S.O.ing). I know the consensus is that S.O.'img delivers more nic. So, I am assuming I get a lot less nic from vaping, then the 4mg gum. I'll S.O. if I am out and about as I do find I can go a little longer without puffing. I tootle puff at home so the fire alarms don't go off. For me it is all about vaping OR chewing enough nic gum to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay. I just need the nicotine, in any form. Many will say I should cut the mg in SO'img, but, I feel no need to as I have found my balance. I hope you find your balance and not worry about how much is too much.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Idk, I don't really care truth be told. I used to chain smoke 2 PAD so I chain vape except when I'm at work or doing something that requires two hands. I use a 12 for mtl and a 6 for dl I've found that works best for me. I couldn't care less what "studies" show, I only care how my body feels.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
what does everyone vape ? I'm going through about 8-12 ml a day, of 3 mg nic . I'm sub ohming of course. Are we getting more nic than we were smoking? Also, is there a reliable way to find out how many cigs are equal to e juice?

Experts say one cigarette contains x amount of nicotine. What they don't say or care to mention is that a smoker allows the cigarette to burn between puffs. So whatever the "experts" say is completely inaccurate and doesn't help anyone understand anything.

I worked out that, based on how many cigarettes i used to smoke, which was 30 a day, if i knew how much juice i was using daily, which is about 3ml / 24mg, i could divide that by the number of cigarettes i used to smoke to find out how much nicotine i used daily was equal to how much nicotine i used to smoke.

So 3ml/24mg divided by 30 = 0.1ml (a tenth of a ml). A tenth of 1 mil/24mg = 2.4mg.

0.1ml/2.4mg juice, for me, = one cigarette.

People say there are too many variables. Well the variables to me are only the variations of nicotine strength you could be using, and how many cigarettes you used to smoke. Other variables such as how you'd smoke a cigarette don't really come into play because you will vape in the same style you smoked so that isn't a variable. Just because you switched from tobacco to vapour it doesn't change who you are and how you do things.

People will still argue. What matters though is to do some basic or fundamental mathematics like i've shown above, which is easy enough to do in your head in a matter of seconds, just to give yourself a simple understanding. And without listening to those who insist that "it's impossible to say" when really all they're doing is providing what they think is the "definitive" answer. I've read dozens of comments from plenty of threads written by people who say exactly this. Well if that's what they think then that's what they think. A simple calculation in your head will provide you with an answer you'll be content with.

And incidentally, another variable which makes things seem complicated is how different everyone elses smoking/vaping habits are to each other. I really don't think that thinking about that makes things any easier to understand when it has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

As easy as it is to understand this simple solution, and it is very simple, people will still continue to provide complicated reasons for saying "there is no definitive answer" (they love saying that) which will seem logical and intelligent but are just plain stupid. And we know after reading this comment they'll do the maths and be content with the answer (but will still argue that there is no definitive answer). There is no definitive answer when it comes to providing a universal answer which applies to everyone. No one is asking for one of those, who would ?. When one person asks then they are asking for an answer based on their own personal usage of nicotine. And there "is" "a definitive answer" for that.

To date, i have yet to read a comment in any E-Cig forum which suggests doing the maths. Every single time these types of questions come up the same stupid responses are given with absolutely no thought put into them at all. And the solution couldn't be simpler could it !!!?.

PS : My last paragraph and any text in relation to it herein isn't in reference to any comments made by anyone in this particular thread. :thumb:

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I'm not saying that at all actually. I'm just wondering.... I keep seeing articles that vaping is just as bad for the heart as analogs.
most articles are by some 22 year old trying to make rent writing whatever sells.... often what they write is obsolete and plagiarized from some other 22 year old based on poor/seriously lacking science.. and the science of that article was based on throwing something at a wall and seeing 'what sticks' meantime they got a govt grant for their 'research' and that allowed them to 'stay in biz' (=a job).

shock and awe writing is all you see any more..somebody's mod blew up,,, nothing is researched to make sure the user was completely safe and following the rules. i have so little respect for media. they rank right up there with child perv's,,politicians and bankers.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I find that the resistance of my coil matters very little - I have some 'sub ohm' builds that vape similar to a 2.4ohm Evod. Likewise I have some 'toodle puffing' tanks that can produce a reasonable cloud.

To me it comes down to vapor output. I have my high airflow/output tanks setup with 7mg as the throat hit with much more than that is to much to vape. I have my low output devices setup with 18-24mg juice as I don't wish to chain vape a nicotine fix with them, a few puffs every so often is enough to keep me satisfied.

Reactions: MMW

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    I'm not saying that at all actually. I'm just wondering.... I keep seeing articles that vaping is just as bad for the heart as analogs.
    You DO realize that ONE junk study can generate literally HUNDREDS of panicked articles, don't you?
    CHILL OUT!
    Vaping may not be as safe as simply breathing (it probably IS safer if you live in a big city) but too much worrying/stress IS bad for you.

daviedog

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    most articles are by some 22 year old trying to make rent writing whatever sells.... often what they write is obsolete and plagiarized from some other 22 year old based on poor/seriously lacking science.. and the science of that article was based on throwing something at a wall and seeing 'what sticks' meantime they got a govt grant for their 'research' and that allowed them to 'stay in biz' (=a job).

shock and awe writing is all you see any more..somebody's mod blew up,,, nothing is researched to make sure the user was completely safe and following the rules. i have so little respect for media. they rank right up there with child perv's,,politicians and bankers.
    And used car dealers..

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2016
    what does everyone vape ? I'm going through about 8-12 ml a day, of 3 mg nic . I'm sub ohming of course. Are we getting more nic than we were smoking? Also, is there a reliable way to find out how many cigs are equal to e juice?

There are simply too many variables involved to come up with an answer to your question. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges while asking if you've had enough to eat. As all the previous posts have either stated or alluded too - "what difference does it make?".

You mentioned in answer to this that you'd read vaping was just as bad for your heart as smoking. Nic raises your blood pressure no matter how you take it in and barring some sort of blood measuring system the only way you have of knowing how much nic you've absorbed is how you feel. Yes I can see where that statement comes from and their answer of course is to "just quit". So if you can "just quit" then do so as I've no doubt it is far healthier than vaping. If you are like the rest of us who can't "just quit" then the heart argument is simply moot.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2012
    Madison, WI
    Now that I've found a nicotine strength I like (I think I've settled on 12 mg at 0.4 ohms), I puff until I'm satisfied with no worries. I don't see how someone could inhale a dangerous amount of nicotine unless they were doing something bizarre and stupid. I once saw a youtube video of some college freshmen getting awfully trippy on Camel Snus, but I suspect that says more about them than it does about the pharmacodynamics of nicotine.

These guys cleared up my misconceptions about vaping high nicotine. If you're not doing this, you have little to be concerned about.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Now that I've found a nicotine strength I like (I think I've settled on 12 mg at 0.4 ohms), I puff until I'm satisfied with no worries. I don't see how someone could inhale a dangerous amount of nicotine unless they were doing something bizarre and stupid. I once saw a youtube video of some college freshmen getting awfully trippy on Camel Snus, but I suspect that says more about them than it does about the pharmacodynamics of nicotine.

These guys cleared up my misconceptions about vaping high nicotine. If you're not doing this, you have little to be concerned about.

You can't stop stupid.:facepalm:

Reactions: SteveS45

Hendog24

ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    It's not easy to directly compare the nicotine level of a cigarette compared to vaping.

A cig has like 8mg of nic but you only absorb 1mg. So if you use 3mg eliquid, you need to vape 1/3 of a ml to get a cig worth of nic.

But how well do we absorb vape nic???

As you can see, it's tough to compare. When I went from 6mg nic to 3mg nic, I did vape more often to keep my craving for cigs at bay.

Just use 6mg nic juice in a sub ohm and 12+mg nic for mouth to lung at first and just work your way down to zero nic.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCinFLA

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    The first couple of months was a real struggle. Then I found a good source of 36mg (MyVapeJuice.com) , and I was getting enough Nic. Shortly there after I started DIY and started mixing it at 30, and I was getting enough. After about 6 months of that I stepped down to 25, and I was getting enough, then to 20, and I was getting enough. Fast forward to today, 2.5 years later and now at 15mg, and I am getting enough.

"Numbers all add up to nothing"-(Neil Young). You`ll know its enough, when you know its enough.
    (If its too much, you`ll know that too, LOL)

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    Every time I see one of these posts it makes me think why those who are so concerned about the Nicotine or how vaping affects them don't just quit vaping like many who quit cigarettes. Just a random thought I had here and decided to put into words.

Vape On Safely!
    I was thinking the same thing. If OP is that worried about nic and wont believe anything he reads here (posts written by well respected, knowledgeable people) or all the articles written by knowledgeable people outside the ECF community then he should consider quitting vaping altogether. It may work for him and it may not. His choice.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SteveS45
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread