How much nic are we really getting from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
It's not easy to directly compare the nicotine level of a cigarette compared to vaping.

A cig has like 8mg of nic but you only absorb 1mg. So if you use 3mg eliquid, you need to vape 1/3 of a ml to get a cig worth of nic.

But how well do we absorb vape nic???

As you can see, it's tough to compare. When I went from 6mg nic to 3mg nic, I did vape more often to keep my craving for cigs at bay.

Just use 6mg nic juice in a sub ohm and 12+mg nic for mouth to lung at first and just work your way down to zero nic.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yes I did you say 1ML to get 1MG or a cig worth of nicotine which you estimate at 1MG. That I disagree with even though you ask what do we actually absorb.....

Hendog24

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2016
Washington, DC
Yes I did you say 1ML to get 1MG or a cig worth of nicotine which you estimate at 1MG. That I disagree with even though you ask what do we actually absorb.....
Wow dude. For real?

Look at the sentence right after the one you put in bold.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCinFLA

Hendog24

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2016
Washington, DC
@Hendog24 you say only absorb 1/8 of the nicotine in a cigarette but say you absorb 100% of the nicotine in e-Liquid? I must respectfully disagree with that statement.

@SteveS45 said I need to me more clear.

You said that I said that we absorb 100% of the nicotine in eliquid. Guess what, I DIDN'T SAY THAT!

Apparently you are confused. You said I need to be clear? There you go. I'm not spending any more time replying to you on this.

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Other variables such as how you'd smoke a cigarette don't really come into play because you will vape in the same style you smoked so that isn't a variable. Just because you switched from tobacco to vapour it doesn't change who you are and how you do things.

I beg to differ with you on the above underlined sections. I, for one, do NOT vape in the same style as I smoked 1 - 1 1/2 PAD for 42+ years. I definitely inhaled my cigarette smoke into my lungs and exhaled it just through my mouth, not my nose. However, with vaping, I take the vapor in only as far as the lower back part of my throat, hold it there for a couple seconds...and then exhale it slowly through my mouth or my nose. I do that because nic in eliquid is more readily absorbed in the mucous membranes of the nasal passages and the cheek linings...NOT the lungs.

I personally know at least 3 other people locally who vape the same way, and who also inhaled their cigarette smoke into their lungs for msny years. There was also a similar discussion not long ago on another Board on the ECF, and several more people said they did the same as well.

So, there definitely can be variables that DO come into play...including the person's former style of smoking and how they currently vape.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I beg to differ with you on the above underlined sections. I, for one, do NOT vape in the same style as I smoked 1 - 1 1/2 PAD for 42+ years. I definitely inhaled my cigarette smoke into my lungs and exhaled it just through my mouth, not my nose. However, with vaping, I take the vapor in only as far as the lower back part of my throat, hold it there for a couple seconds...and then exhale it slowly through my mouth or my nose. I do that because nic in eliquid is more readily absorbed in the mucous membranes of the nasal passages and the cheek linings...NOT the lungs.

I personally know at least 3 other people locally who vape the same way, and who also inhaled their cigarette smoke into their lungs for msny years. There was also a similar discussion not long ago on another Board on the ECF, and several more people said they did the same as well.

So, there definitely can be variables that DO come into play...including the person's former style of smoking and how they currently vape.

Taking that into account, would you agree that the simple method of dividing your daily e liquid use by the number of cigarettes you used to smoke would give you a basic idea of how much nicotine in your e liquid is equal to how much nicotine you used to use daily, or per cigarette, when you used to smoke.

If people were to forget about any variables and simply focused on the then and now use of nicotine isn't it clear that it's pretty easy to get a "rough" idea how much e liquid/mg is equal to a cigarette.

How much juice do you use ?, how much nicotine per ml is in it ?, and how many cigarettes did you used to smoke per day ?.

If your vaping habit is repressing your craving for tobacco then you are probably getting enough nicotine. So doesn't that mean you are probably getting about the same now as you did when you smoked ?.

The proof is in the pudding !.:thumb:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida

I dont vape the same way I smoked either. I did when when I first started vsping with cig-a-likes but it evolved with time.

Muru

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quitting smoking used to be about....quitting smoking. Then, a few years ago, suddenly everyone was talking about how evil nicotine supposedly is and quitting smoking isn't enough anymore.
People got brainwashed and now are afraid of nicotine, the OP has fallen victim too.
If you can quit smoking, with whatever method that's out there, it IS enough. The nicotine question isn't a simple one to answer, it is believed that it can play a major role in prevention of alzheimer and parkinson. It helps relieve symptoms of colitis ulcerosa and tones down the side-effects of the medicine haloperidol.
Nic is not the bad guy in cigarettes, is what it comes down to basically, I guess.....

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2016
Orlando, FL
socialonlinebydesign.com
Nicotine is also a lot less addictive than the other addictive ingredients in cigs. After you vape for a while you tend to notice you don't crave vaping the way you did smoking. It becomes more of something you do in your free time and not something you make time for. Depending on your time available is usually how you vape, which affects the nicotine level of your fluid.

Reactions: DC2

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I use 6mg, and I was a PAD+ for 25 years. I don't know (or care, really) how much I'm getting. It must be enough as I have had no desire for a cigarette since I started vaping.
6mg to 9mg for me depending upon my need but mostly 6mg. I do make a little 12mg for my cigalikes 80pg

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
what does everyone vape ? I'm going through about 8-12 ml a day, of 3 mg nic . I'm sub ohming of course.
But why "sub ohming of course"? I now vape at 9 W and vape 10 ml of 2.5 mg juice daily.
Are we getting more nic than we were smoking? Also, is there a reliable way to find out how many cigs are equal to e juice?

On average smoker gets 1 mg of nic from 1 cigarette.
Percent of absorption of nicotine by vaper is not really known and by different estimates could be from 50% (more believable for me) to 90% (too high number?)
If you consume 12 ml of 3mg nic, then total amount of nic in juice is 36 mg. So, assuming 50% is absorbed, then you get 18 mg of nicotine, which is equal to 18 cigarettes.

But even if while vaping you are getting more nic than when you were smoking, vaping is still much healthier thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread