how much nic % for smoker new to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

fooey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
chicago
Im getting my father into vaping and wondering if i should start him off at 24mg strength and taper down to 12mg-15mg as soon as he gets use to vaping completely? This is what i did successfully, and never had to smoke an analog cig at all. Im afraid if i put him on lower nic strength he will not complete the adjustment. He smokes about 1.5 to 2 packs a day and hope my seedman flavor will taste like marlboro reds

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
Its seems like a clear decision of 18mg or 24 mg. I vote for 24mg.

Although, it may not be a bad idea to get a bottle of 24mg and 18mg and let him decide. I agree though, that it is critical that he has enough nicotine to satisfy his urges because I have seen many people try vaping and think that because their goal is to quit smoking they need to use a lower nic level. None of the people I know that took this approach were successful at converting.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I would suggest for anyone new to get sample sizes in at least 3 different nic levels when trying to figure out what works. There are general guide lines. There are also exceptions to those guide lines for a lot of people.

As a former 1.5 PAD Pall Mall Blue smoker I found I needed 24 mg nic and for fits of cravings I had to bump up to 30 mg on occasion. But another smoker with my similar profile may find 24 mg and 30 mg to be just too much.

For what he is smoking 24 mg sounds right. But I would also get 12 mg and 18 mg samples so any needed adjustments can be made quickly and painlessly. Once he finds "the zone" then go larger on the next order. And that may include using more than one nic level as well.

Good luck!

Kenho21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
The Mitten
I was at 1-1.5 packs a day smoking Newport Full Flavor and started at 18mg no problem. The suggestion of getting a few different nic levels is a good idea though. If it were my father I would get a few different juices/nice levels and keep him blind so you can see what his natural comfort level is a go from there.

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
I would suggest 36mg and some lower ones. If I vape anything lower than 36mg I turn into a raving chain vaper. I would also suggest lots of samples and not just tobacco ones either. A lot of people like me felt that they really wanted something that tasted like what they smoked. I never did find it although I still look once in a while.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Anyone's guess is just a guess. I started with a crappy smoke shop kit and hated the throat hit with the high nic cartridges, tried medium and still my throat was too irritated to keep going. I got on here, did a little research, absolutely wanted the cig-like size, and ended up with the Smokeless Image Volts at 18mg and 12mg.... vaped 12mg for about 8 months. Now I'm at 6 or 8. I was a 1.5 ish PAD smoker.

Old Curmudgeon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Kansas City, fly over country
I would suggest for anyone new to get sample sizes in at least 3 different nic levels when trying to figure out what works. There are general guide lines. There are also exceptions to those guide lines for a lot of people.
Just last night I was wondering where I could find sample packs with different nic levels, but found none.
Can you point me in the right direction?

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
I think a big factor in this isnt just what nicotine strength you choose, but how much juice the person vapes. If you are like me and you only vape about 1.5-2ml per day, then you can probably get away with safely raising the nicotine level, although I have actually lowered mine from what I tried to start out with, and I'm down to vaping liquid that between 9mg - 15mg/ml.

I think thats very important. Its just like if you have a back ache and you have 1000mg Motrin in your medicine cabinet, vs 250mg Motrin right beside it, obviously you should take less of the higher dosage pills than you would take of the lower dosage pills. It should be the same with vaping because nicotine is something to be taken seriously.

I really dont want to get addicted to a higher dosage of nicotine than what I was getting from my 1 pack per day of cigarettes before. If anything, I want to start lowering my nicotine dosage to where I'm using less nicotine than when I smoked.

If it seems he will be vaping a few ml's a day, then he should be vaping a lower nicotine liquid. I smoked for over 20 years, and I thought I would need to start out REALLY high with my nicotine dosage, so I actually ordered my largest bottle of e-liquid with my 1st e-cig kit in 36mg/ml! I immediately discovered that was WAY too high! I very quickly began ordering and mixing my liquids down to 9-15mg, most of them 12mg.

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
Anyone's guess is just a guess. I started with a crappy smoke shop kit and hated the throat hit with the high nic cartridges, tried medium and still my throat was too irritated to keep going. I got on here, did a little research, absolutely wanted the cig-like size, and ended up with the Smokeless Image Volts at 18mg and 12mg.... vaped 12mg for about 8 months. Now I'm at 6 or 8. I was a 1.5 ish PAD smoker.

Yep, same here. Thats what I was just saying in my 1st post here. I thought I was going to have some serious difficulty quitting to begin with, so I'd need LOTS of nicotine in my juice, so I ordered the "super-high" strength liquid, and it gave me a headache! It was literally 300% higher than what I found to be best for me after smoking 1 pack a day on average(some days less, some more). So, not only did I drop my nicotine level in the liquids I ordered, I also tried my best not to be vaping all the time! The 1st and 2nd day of vaping without smoking I was only vaping about 1 - 1.5ml per day of the DIY 15mg/ml mix I made(because the e-liquid I got with my 1st order tasted so crappy!)

Now I am thinking about starting to order in 6-9mg and try to make some DIY blends in 6-9mg too. I have now found a flavor(s) that I actually like, and the downside of that is I vape more, and I really dont want to be vaping a whole lot, so either I gotta get lower nicotine liquid, or I gotta throw out all my good tasting liquid and keep the crappy tasting stuff so I wont vape so much of it!(I probably wont use that tactic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread