how much nic % for smoker new to vaping

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by fooey, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. fooey

fooey Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Im getting my father into vaping and wondering if i should start him off at 24mg strength and taper down to 12mg-15mg as soon as he gets use to vaping completely? This is what i did successfully, and never had to smoke an analog cig at all. Im afraid if i put him on lower nic strength he will not complete the adjustment. He smokes about 1.5 to 2 packs a day and hope my seedman flavor will taste like marlboro reds

2. Strigoi

Strigoi Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Start him at 24mg and adjust from there.

3. Kopfstimmen

Kopfstimmen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I had 24 for first thing in the morning, and 18 for the rest of the day. 24 "got me going", but was too strong in TH for continuous use...

4. nebulas

nebulas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Its seems like a clear decision of 18mg or 24 mg. I vote for 24mg.

Although, it may not be a bad idea to get a bottle of 24mg and 18mg and let him decide. I agree though, that it is critical that he has enough nicotine to satisfy his urges because I have seen many people try vaping and think that because their goal is to quit smoking they need to use a lower nic level. None of the people I know that took this approach were successful at converting.

5. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I would suggest for anyone new to get sample sizes in at least 3 different nic levels when trying to figure out what works. There are general guide lines. There are also exceptions to those guide lines for a lot of people.

As a former 1.5 PAD Pall Mall Blue smoker I found I needed 24 mg nic and for fits of cravings I had to bump up to 30 mg on occasion. But another smoker with my similar profile may find 24 mg and 30 mg to be just too much.

For what he is smoking 24 mg sounds right. But I would also get 12 mg and 18 mg samples so any needed adjustments can be made quickly and painlessly. Once he finds "the zone" then go larger on the next order. And that may include using more than one nic level as well.

Good luck!

6. SuziesMom

SuziesMom Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'd grab a small bottle of 36mg...even if he just uses it for emergencies, sometimes it's easier to convert someone when you know that they're absolutely getting enough nicotine.

I vape at 36mg, and never really tapered down. It's what keeps me happy.

7. Kenho21

Kenho21 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I was at 1-1.5 packs a day smoking Newport Full Flavor and started at 18mg no problem. The suggestion of getting a few different nic levels is a good idea though. If it were my father I would get a few different juices/nice levels and keep him blind so you can see what his natural comfort level is a go from there.

8. 18SixFifty

18SixFifty Super Member ECF Veteran

I would suggest 36mg and some lower ones. If I vape anything lower than 36mg I turn into a raving chain vaper. I would also suggest lots of samples and not just tobacco ones either. A lot of people like me felt that they really wanted something that tasted like what they smoked. I never did find it although I still look once in a while.

9. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yeah,24mg (most effective at quenching cravings) then lower to get better flavor

10. grandmato5

grandmato5 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

24 mg is most likely the best place for him to start but since we are all different and there is no one place for everyone no matter how much or little they smoked before vaping why not get a couple levels so he has options if he needs them.

11. fooey

fooey Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the replies, I'll try giving him both nic strength.

12. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Of course,you also have a matter of delivery system,when most raves about that battery or that APV,the most important single thing in quenching that craving is the tank

18mg used to be my chain vaping stuff but in my new tanks,I cant chain vape that anymore.

13. chargin

chargin Super Member ECF Veteran

24mg is OK,but don't treat that as a ceiling.
    When I am not chain vaping I need 30mg to be satisfied.
    If he is not happy at 24mg there is nothing wrong in going up in strength.

14. JENerationX

JENerationX Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Anyone's guess is just a guess. I started with a crappy smoke shop kit and hated the throat hit with the high nic cartridges, tried medium and still my throat was too irritated to keep going. I got on here, did a little research, absolutely wanted the cig-like size, and ended up with the smokelessimage.com/?a_aid=4f3192263c7b1" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Smokeless Image Volts at 18mg and 12mg.... vaped 12mg for about 8 months. Now I'm at 6 or 8. I was a 1.5 ish PAD smoker.

15. Old Curmudgeon

Old Curmudgeon Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just last night I was wondering where I could find sample packs with different nic levels, but found none.
    Can you point me in the right direction?

16. Techwipe

Techwipe Senior Member ECF Veteran

18, I don't think 24 is necessary at all. It just seems way too harsh. I'm trying to vape some 24 my friend gave me right now, it kills all the flavor in my eyes. I smoked just as much, and never need any more than 18. IMHO of course.

17. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

24 mg is spot on.

18. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If it was me I would get 36mg and 18mg and then they could be mixed to get anything in between.
    Otherwise I would get 24mg and a little bit of 36mg for any rough patches.

One thing I would never do is start a 2 PAD smoker on 18mg strength only.
    Same with a 1.5 PAD smoker.

19. HighlanderNorth

HighlanderNorth Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think a big factor in this isnt just what nicotine strength you choose, but how much juice the person vapes. If you are like me and you only vape about 1.5-2ml per day, then you can probably get away with safely raising the nicotine level, although I have actually lowered mine from what I tried to start out with, and I'm down to vaping liquid that between 9mg - 15mg/ml.

I think thats very important. Its just like if you have a back ache and you have 1000mg Motrin in your medicine cabinet, vs 250mg Motrin right beside it, obviously you should take less of the higher dosage pills than you would take of the lower dosage pills. It should be the same with vaping because nicotine is something to be taken seriously.

I really dont want to get addicted to a higher dosage of nicotine than what I was getting from my 1 pack per day of cigarettes before. If anything, I want to start lowering my nicotine dosage to where I'm using less nicotine than when I smoked.

If it seems he will be vaping a few ml's a day, then he should be vaping a lower nicotine liquid. I smoked for over 20 years, and I thought I would need to start out REALLY high with my nicotine dosage, so I actually ordered my largest bottle of e-liquid with my 1st e-cig kit in 36mg/ml! I immediately discovered that was WAY too high! I very quickly began ordering and mixing my liquids down to 9-15mg, most of them 12mg.

20. HighlanderNorth

HighlanderNorth Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yep, same here. Thats what I was just saying in my 1st post here. I thought I was going to have some serious difficulty quitting to begin with, so I'd need LOTS of nicotine in my juice, so I ordered the "super-high" strength liquid, and it gave me a headache! It was literally 300% higher than what I found to be best for me after smoking 1 pack a day on average(some days less, some more). So, not only did I drop my nicotine level in the liquids I ordered, I also tried my best not to be vaping all the time! The 1st and 2nd day of vaping without smoking I was only vaping about 1 - 1.5ml per day of the DIY 15mg/ml mix I made(because the e-liquid I got with my 1st order tasted so crappy!)

Now I am thinking about starting to order in 6-9mg and try to make some DIY blends in 6-9mg too. I have now found a flavor(s) that I actually like, and the downside of that is I vape more, and I really dont want to be vaping a whole lot, so either I gotta get lower nicotine liquid, or I gotta throw out all my good tasting liquid and keep the crappy tasting stuff so I wont vape so much of it!(I probably wont use that tactic)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.