• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    When I started vaping, I was in the polls' 21-40 range. I'm still in that range, but a bit closer to the 21 side now. If I was playing blackjack, the house would still be winning. Even though I'm not, I'm certainly winning! :laugh:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Wow1420

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    interesting ideas, I have been wondering about the comparisons to cigarettes and whether I should be concerned about lowering my nicotine consumption - I was a heavy smoker pack a day for forty years and more likely a pack and a half if stressed. I have been vaping only for about two months, experimenting with making my own juice and building coils and most recently dripping. I started out at 12 mg / ml and then upped it to 18 and then combined 12 or 18 depending. I don't limit myself but when I am dripping I do have to lower the nic down to about 6 and increase the vg or else I find it too harsh I really enjoy the flavour of dripping I am trying to figure out what my blood level of nic is by observing whether or not I think cigarette - it does happen now and then- so if it does I take a little stronger 18 mg and any thought of a cig dissipates. I chain vape if I am distracted or stressed as I chain smoked. if I was to feel uncomfortable I would tank a little water it works for other issues and nicotine metabolizes rather quickly I believe so I am still wondering whether I need to concern myself with my nic levels and how much I do or don't vape- I am making my own so it is ridiculously cheap and while I was supposed to feel that cigarettes were the worse thing in the world for me I never really bought in to that idea- I think it might have been more problematic for OP and cost a fortunate basically I always felt the benefits out weighed the down sides -still I have to say I prefer vaping it is more pleasant and much cheaper at present- my only real reason for concern is the unknown. I know what smoking tobacco does after forty years it costs you a bundle, gives you a bit of a cough, keeps you alert , helps with night shifts, helps control weight - I don't know what vaping will do -well I guess I do know something's it keeps you warmer in winter saves you a bundle (at least at present) and doesn't stink up your house and if society gets really .... you can pretend you don't do it fairly easily

Reactions: mauricem00

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    interesting ideas, I have been wondering about the comparisons to cigarettes and whether I should be concerned about lowering my nicotine consumption - I was a heavy smoker pack a day for forty years and more likely a pack and a half if stressed. I have been vaping only for about two months, experimenting with making my own juice and building coils and most recently dripping. I started out at 12 mg / ml and then upped it to 18 and then combined 12 or 18 depending. I don't limit myself but when I am dripping I do have to lower the nic down to about 6 and increase the vg or else I find it too harsh I really enjoy the flavour of dripping I am trying to figure out what my blood level of nic is by observing whether or not I think cigarette - it does happen now and then- so if it does I take a little stronger 18 mg and any thought of a cig dissipates. I chain vape if I am distracted or stressed as I chain smoked. if I was to feel uncomfortable I would tank a little water it works for other issues and nicotine metabolizes rather quickly I believe so I am still wondering whether I need to concern myself with my nic levels and how much I do or don't vape- I am making my own so it is ridiculously cheap and while I was supposed to feel that cigarettes were the worse thing in the world for me I never really bought in to that idea- I think it might have been more problematic for OP and cost a fortunate basically I always felt the benefits out weighed the down sides -still I have to say I prefer vaping it is more pleasant and much cheaper at present- my only real reason for concern is the unknown. I know what smoking tobacco does after forty years it costs you a bundle, gives you a bit of a cough, keeps you alert , helps with night shifts, helps control weight - I don't know what vaping will do -well I guess I do know something's it keeps you warmer in winter saves you a bundle (at least at present) and doesn't stink up your house and if society gets really .... you can pretend you don't do it fairly easily

First... there is a LOT more to cigarette addiction than merely nicotine -- in fact it seems to be mostly a psychological addiction, with a varying physical dependence (addiction isn't the right word for dependence on something that isn't harmful in itself) on nicotine (and all the other alkaloids). Just observing your own interest in a cigarette is no way at all of determining your proper nic level, though it can be a *clue* -- not the whole story. But there are many, many things that can "trigger" a cigarette craving; chemicals being only one of those things.

Secondly -- unless you have some physical disorder that makes nicotine risky (anything in which constricted blood vessels could be a problem -- kidney disease, cardiovascular disease such as hypertension, and probably others -- maybe glaucoma?), then nicotine won't hurt you. If you aren't getting nauseous, jittery, stomach pains, unable to sleep, or possibly headache -- then you're not getting too much, and it's really nothing to worry about. However if you suffer constipation, extreme anxiety, or again, possibly headaches, then you might not be getting enough. Headache can go with either too much or too little, because of the role that constricted or dilated/engorged blood vessels in the head can play in headaches -- migraine usually means they're dilated/engorged, and NEED to be constricted, but if they're too constricted, it might impede blood flow to the brain.

There's no particular reason to just *automatically* reduce nicotine, just because so many do -- whatever level is right for *you* is what you should aim for, regardless of what anyone else does -- as you noted that you reduce when you use a device that delivers more. But nicotine can actually be a very useful substance, sharpening mental acuity, and potentially even helping to prevent/delay the onset of cognitive dysfunction (dementia of various kinds).

Andria

Reactions: Rossum

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    First... there is a LOT more to cigarette addiction than merely nicotine -- in fact it seems to be mostly a psychological addiction, with a varying physical dependence (addiction isn't the right word for dependence on something that isn't harmful in itself) on nicotine (and all the other alkaloids). Just observing your own interest in a cigarette is no way at all of determining your proper nic level, though it can be a *clue* -- not the whole story. But there are many, many things that can "trigger" a cigarette craving; chemicals being only one of those things.

the occasional thought of a smoke isn't really a craving it is more the odd passing thought. I completely agree with you regarding the benefits of nicotine- I have been somewhat of a protester over the years of the foolish rules that came in to play regarding tobacco use so did quite a bit of research regarding it. I did quit years ago when my kids were little, I gained 30 lbs was anxious and always missed it. I cannot say this is true while I vape and I do intend to prevent a return to tobacco if at all possible. I also take every opportunity to promote vaping unfortunately our patients did get their smoking rights reinstated but the health board where I work (soon to retire) will not permit vaping or e cigs of any nature - -more political bs - at present BUT I have hope that because vaping and mixing your own is so easy that it might not be as easy to attack as tobacco

Secondly -- unless you have some physical disorder that makes nicotine risky (anything in which constricted blood vessels could be a problem -- kidney disease, cardiovascular disease such as hypertension, and probably others -- maybe glaucoma?), then nicotine won't hurt you. If you aren't getting nauseous, jittery, stomach pains, unable to sleep, or possibly headache -- then you're not getting too much, and it's really nothing to worry about. However if you suffer constipation, extreme anxiety, or again, possibly headaches, then you might not be getting enough. Headache can go with either too much or too little, because of the role that constricted or dilated/engorged blood vessels in the head can play in headaches -- migraine usually means they're dilated/engorged, and NEED to be constricted, but if they're too constricted, it might impede blood flow to the brain.

There's no particular reason to just *automatically* reduce nicotine, just because so many do -- whatever level is right for *you* is what you should aim for, regardless of what anyone else does -- as you noted that you reduce when you use a device that delivers more. But nicotine can actually be a very useful substance, sharpening mental acuity, and potentially even helping to prevent/delay the onset of cognitive dysfunction (dementia of various kinds).

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I replied to above comment but not sure how to separate out my comment from Andrias

I gotcha -- it's good that you get the difference between a stray thought, and a real craving -- a lot of folks don't seem to be able to tell them apart at all. I always look at it like, if I can distract myself and the thought leaves me, it was just a passing thought, no biggie, and perfectly normal for anyone attempting to quit a habit. But cravings.. that's a horse of another color entirely -- when you really DON'T WANT to smoke, but something in you just keeps INSISTING and WILL NOT shut up for a minute -- those are where WTA can be REALLY helpful! I never had any cravings like that, when I first quit last Feb/March -- but after I returned to smoke-free following my relapse (following my appendectomy), cravings hit me so hard it was just ungodly. If I had not already acquired some WTA, I doubt I would have made it thru, but WTA relieved the cravings immediately, and they haven't returned, though I'm using only half as much WTA now as when I started. I think the cravings I experienced then had a lot more to do with the drastic upheaval in my colon -- sepsis, surgery, then having to recover from all that and get my digestion going in the correct direction again -- than with the cigarette addiction.

Andria

Reactions: Caro123

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    Andria I have tried to do a little research here at this site and I am not sure what WTA is and how I might know whether or not the ejuice I purchase or even diy would contain whole tobacco alkaloids. I am far from a chemist but I am pretty sure regular tobacco cigarettes contain ingredients that are akin to minor antidepressants in their make up - certainly wellbutrin has been dished out as smoking cessation along with a few other chemicals so I guess I am trying to understand more and although I don't fear a return to cigarettes - heading in to retirement I would prefer to reduce my costs and continue the glee I get in not contributing $68.00 strictly in taxes each week to provincial and federal taxes . so question what is WTA and can I make the stuff should I ever have a need?

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Andria I have tried to do a little research here at this site and I am not sure what WTA is and how I might know whether or not the ejuice I purchase or even diy would contain whole tobacco alkaloids. I am far from a chemist but I am pretty sure regular tobacco cigarettes contain ingredients that are akin to minor antidepressants in their make up - certainly wellbutrin has been dished out as smoking cessation along with a few other chemicals so I guess I am trying to understand more and although I don't fear a return to cigarettes - heading in to retirement I would prefer to reduce my costs and continue the glee I get in not contributing $68.00 strictly in taxes each week to provincial and federal taxes . so question what is WTA and can I make the stuff should I ever have a need?

Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. As far as I know they are only available from 3 vendors: aromaejuice.com, wholecig.com, and mothersmilkwta.com. I use the wholecig, for the best compromise between purity and price (cheaper than Aroma's, but much purer and cleaner than MMWTA).

It may be possible to extract your own WTA, but it likely won't be as pure (it'll probably be cloudy, dark, and smoky/ashy-smelling), nor as strong as that professionally extracted. I ran across this very old (2011) link: WTA extraction success... | E-Cigarette Forum -- this was actually around the time that WTA first became commercially available, so I suspect it was due to these early amateur efforts that WTA really became a *thing*.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Let me add this caveat about WTA: if you aren't sure if you need it, you probably don't. If your thoughts or cravings are psychological rather than physical in origin, WTA won't help a bit -- it's strictly for those who feel a real physical *lack* because of the missing alkaloids -- and only a minority seem to really miss them; most people do fine just replacing the nicotine, given the whole sensory/habit replication of e-cigs.

Usually the best way to tell that you really do need WTA is with those ungodly bone-deep hard cravings, no matter how much you vape -- if you can't vape the craving away no matter how hard you try, and are actively considering smoking, try WTA first -- it's a lot more costly than ejuice, but a lot cheaper than cigarettes, and doesn't contain the 1000s of toxins that are in cigarette smoke.

Andria

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
    Nova Scotia
    Let me add this caveat about WTA: if you aren't sure if you need it, you probably don't. If your thoughts or cravings are psychological rather than physical in origin, WTA won't help a bit -- it's strictly for those who feel a real physical *lack* because of the missing alkaloids -- and only a minority seem to really miss them; most people do fine just replacing the nicotine, given the whole sensory/habit replication of e-cigs.

Usually the best way to tell that you really do need WTA is with those ungodly bone-deep hard cravings, no matter how much you vape -- if you can't vape the craving away no matter how hard you try, and are actively considering smoking, try WTA first -- it's a lot more costly than ejuice, but a lot cheaper than cigarettes, and doesn't contain the 1000s of toxins that are in cigarette smoke.

Andria
    thanks for info I am quite certain I don't need it but it is nice to know that it may be the reason why a few would return to cigarettes I guess I am just trying to cover my bases because giving up was so painless that I can still hardly believe it, and the vaping came along at a very stressful personal time for me -thanks

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    thanks for info I am quite certain I don't need it but it is nice to know that it may be the reason why a few would return to cigarettes I guess I am just trying to cover my bases because giving up was so painless that I can still hardly believe it, and the vaping came along at a very stressful personal time for me -thanks

Same here, my first time around; no real cravings at all, and though I did experience a bit of depression at the 3wk and 3mo points, it passed quickly both times. Which is why I think the hard cravings I suffered after my appendectomy were much less about cigarette addiction than about all the dreck my body was going thru at that time. It's possible that I could simply drop the WTA now, it's been about 9-10 months since the appendectomy -- but I don't want to risk it, those cravings were too awful. Dropping it just one percentage point a month is working very well for me, so you know, if it ain't broke... :D

Andria

Reactions: Caro123

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Does WTA still cost in the realm of 4 to 5 times the value of a similar weight of gold?

i don't think so... what I get right now is $20.95 for 15ml of 24mg WTA. My ejuice is only 5% WTA, so it lasts a while. Even when my ejuice was 10% WTA, a 10ml bottle lasted a month. But I buy from wholecig... Aroma's does cost something like you described. :D

Andria

Reactions: Rossum

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Hi Andrea. Is that 24mg Nicotine and WTA inclusive..? I understand the tobacco 'active ingredient profile' is 95% Nicotine, 5% WTA.

That's correct; WTA is 95% nicotine. Wholecig's is NOT "WTA infused ejuice" -- it's unflavored WTA. So theirs contains 24mg WTA -- and 95% of that 24mg is nicotine.

Andria

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread