How much sweetener?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Ashtonsmommy1209, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ashtonsmommy1209

Ashtonsmommy1209 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Just got some new DIY supplies today and ordered some sweetener to add to some of my juices. I have made some of my own juices before but not using sweetener. From what I've read it's highly concentrated and I was wondering approx how much sweetener I should use to make a 15ml bottle of juice? Approx numbers are fine I know it varies. I generally do about 25-30% flavoring if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. glassmanoak

glassmanoak Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

If it's TFA Sweetener, I use 0ne drop per 5 ml. Other brands, I don't know

3. Ashtonsmommy1209

It's MBV sweetener but I will start out with that and then go from there. Thank you!

4. melloyello

melloyello Ultra Member ECF Veteran

i think by adding too much sweetner to my mix gave me a horrible burnt flavor. glassmanoak is right, do not add much if you do.

5. Steve K

Steve K Super Member ECF Veteran

I had to look up Mbv sweetner and it is suclarose,I use Ez sweetz which is sucralose as well and I use about 1 or 2 drops per 5 ml.Honestly I use sweetner for everything I make and when I decide to not use it I wished I had.

6. glassmanoak

glassmanoak Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

I never use EM as a sweetener because I feel that it REALLY dulls the flavor.

7. Ashtonsmommy1209

Where do you get your sweetener? It works well & doesn't dull the flavor? I'll see how this juice tastes after I let it steep for a week or so, but it'd be awesome to have a backup in case I'm not satisfied with this sweetener.

8. Steve K

Glassmanoak is referring to EM (Ethyl maltol) which is different than the sweetner you ordered which is Sucralose,I have both and I prefer the Sucralose only because it seems to take more percentage of Em to achieve the same as sucralose at a lower percent.They do have a slight different taste and effect.But I do like the taste of sucralose.Here is EM (Ethyl maltol) which is also known as cotton candy at TPA.But I've never tried enough of it to say it dulls the taste.Read the reviews on the page.
    https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6658-cotton-candy-flavor.aspx

9. CandyTX

CandyTX Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ah, good to know. I have the MBV sweet and I cannot STAND it. It leaves a horrible residual taste. I'll look for EM :)

10. Gummy Bare

Gummy Bare Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

What about the Flavor West Sweetener? I just got some the other day (my first sweetener, and I'm new to DIY) but I can't seem to get things as sweet as some of the juices I buy. I looked on the FW site and it says it's Sucralose.

Ingredients Are: Sucralose Artificial Sweetener, Propylene Glycol. USP Kosher Grade Flavoring. Usage Rate .25 to .50

I tried out 1 drop per ml, but that doesn't seem to taste right.

11. Steve K

I seem to be hung up on ez sweetz and man is it sweet,If you try one drop straight you will literally taste it for 30 min.And one drop per ml seems like too much I use one drop per 5ml with ez sweetz and you can get a free sample but you have to pay for shipping I think and it is sucralose,and mixes excellent in juices.I don't see many people mentioning it any more but I like it.2 drops in my coffee too_One of those little bottles goes a long way.
    Link here
    EZ-Sweetz® Free Sample

12. Gummy Bare

maybe i'm just over doing it and the overpowering is giving it a taste that doesn't amount to sweetness at that point. But the ingredients also state PG, so there's no telling how diluted FW made their stuff. It's not pure Sucralose, but i have no way of telling how much PG and how much Sucralose is in their mix.

13. Shilo

Shilo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I do like EM or caramel and rarely sweeten with sucralose as I am just not that into super sweet and sucralose to me has an aftertaste that I don't care for but when I do use it I use more like 1 drop per 3-5 ml of liquid. Its pretty potent.

14. red_m1ke

red_m1ke Senior Member ECF Veteran

I also use sweetners to sweeten up my liquids and i use between 3% - 8% depending on the mix. So it-s all taste subjective.
    I recommend starting as low as 1% and go from there. When you start tasting the sweetness, mission complete!

If u want more, then simply add some more :))

Best of luck.

15. Gummy Bare

I guess I'm not using enough because so far in not getting a super sweet taste from it.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

16. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I generally use sweetner to reduce a sharp or bitter tobacco or make a flavor pop. I never add it thinking it will increase sweetness. It should be used sparingly (1drop per ml) to enhance flavor and not add sweetness. Adding to much as mentioned earlier will give the mix a burnt taste. Try adding caramel or vanilla or other flavor with a drop per ml of sweetner. The sweetner will make a dull flavor pop but over do it and it will ruin the mix.

17. CandyTX

CandyTX Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Question: Can you usually buy ethyl maltol locally? I really need to sweeten some of this stuff and I cannot stand the sucralose. Anyone want this bottle? LOL!

18. noopuffs

noopuffs Full Member

Has anyone tried Stevia and had positive results? :vapor:

19. Rickb119

Rickb119 Super Member ECF Veteran

I have but since I've been using it in hot tea for years I long ago acquired a taste for it. I use the KAL brand. Pure powder in my tea and pure liquid in my juice. It does have somewhat of an aftertaste, but I'm used to it. I'd start with about 1 drop per 5ml and slowly increase (if so desired).

20. Puppytime

Puppytime Full Member

I use 1% in my moo juice clone. I add it just like a flavoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.