How often do you change a coil head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfingle

Oct 12, 2012
Arizona
Hey everyone, I just got my own, and first, eGo twist kit (two 650mah batteries, a Vision Ego cart, and the adapter and charger, etc..., plus I also got a backup Mini Nova 2ml tank, and of course some juice samples). I am left wondering why and how often to change out coil heads (by the way, is that the same thing as a wick)? Aside from that, I also don't know why or when to change out a cart or tank (and don't know the difference is between them), so any advice there would be great, too. I know this is the New Members Forum, but if any of these questions come off as just plain ignorant, I apologize. I you want to reply with a link to concise explanation of the mechanics and maintenance what I have, go for it, or if you'd prefer to explain it in your post, that's great, too. I would largely appreciate any help, as i want to both understand these new items I have, and also to make sure I don't mess up or waste something. Thanks for reading, and replying, if you do.

P.S.: To any who have tried Blu ciggys (that's my general abbreviation for cigarettes, by the way), particularly the menthol flavored carts, have you ever found a liquid/juice that is the same, or nearly the same, to those carts. Those were the first I tried, and have been ever since infatuated with them. To those haven't tried them, they are like a minty and cold, but not tobacco-y, or "cheap" tasting, but just pure deliciousness to my taste buds and olfactory system. Sorry if I ramble, but damn I'd love to find a liquid that capture that same flavor.

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Usually the vivi comes with a head already installed on it, most likely 2.4ohm which works pretty well with all voltage. Start low and work up on the voltage to see what you like. Mine is 4.2v. The heads will last a month if you take care of them. Here is a video that may help. A wick is part of the coil head. The head can be replaced with another or the coil rebuilt if you learn how.
A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube

M&R B

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
The coil head consists of the atomizer head, wick and coil. You should try to clean it once a week at the very least and it will last you anywhere from 2-4 weeks depending on usage. I use mainly the viva nova myself, one of the best quality tanks for the money. The difference between that and a cartomizer is that in a carto it uses a cotton like filler that holds your juice instead of being in a tank with the wicks pulling the liquid to the heating element. Plus typically you have to keep refilling cartos every 30-60 minutes where as a tank can last hours or more without refilling.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
Hey, Sfingle. Welcome! OK I'll try to be concise since there's so much better detailed info here on the forums. As for your Vision Ego carto, assuming it's the disposable kind, you just chuck it when it tastes burned or yucky. Depending on the type of juice and how much you vape and what voltage you use, you should expect 1-3 weeks use from it. I would advise you buy a rebuildable carto/tank like the Vision eGo Stardust. Those will function much like your Vivi Nova as they contain a long wick and coil inside a tank. The coil is replaceable and cleanable. Now on to your Nova. You shouldn't nee to replace the heads on the Nova (or similar devices) often if you care for them properly. Clean them often. Some people clean them once a day. I clean them every 2-3 days when I notice the draw getting tight or the flavor going slightly south. To clean the replaceable heads on a Nova (or a Stardust) take the simplest route. Take the tank apart in the sink and rinse ALL the parts clean with warm running water. This includes the coil head. Rinse the coil head until the wick is clean and free of juice color. The atomizer coil will still be black, but that's OK for now. Dry all the parts with a paper towel inside and out. Blow through the connector tube to get any water out. Make sure your connections are dry. Dry the atty head (wicks) as best as you can with paper. Don't go digging into the coils. A little dampness in the coil is fine. Now screw the atty head onto the connector pole. Leave everything else off for now (the tank, the little silicone top of the atty head, and the top cap). We're going to do a "dry burn". In short 3-5 second pulses fire the atty pausing 5-10 seconds between bursts. At first you should hear it sizzle. After a few fires the wick will dry itself of water and start to burn off any juice residue. You should see some vapor and maybe glowing coils. Once you start to see the coils glow, shorten the fire bursts to 2-3 seconds. Keep doing this until you can see all the coils glowing and no more vapor is produced. Now take a look at the coils. They will be coated with a bit of oxidized juice. I usually clean this off using a wooden toothpick and LIGHTLY brush the surface of the coils being careful not to move them around. Blow out any loose debris. Replace the silicone top (the flat side of the metal ring goes on the inside). Screw on the tank making sure it threads correctly and tighten snugly but don't over-tighten. Fill with juice and don't overfill. Secure the top cap and drip tip. Wait a few minutes for the juice to wick its way to the coil. VAPE.

*EDIT*
So much for being concise. :blush:

Last edited:
I totally agree. I mostly use a Vivi nova on my L Rider Lambo and I clean my Nova after each full tank. For cleaning I use the same method as described. I use one tank per day and I find that frequent cleaning gives better vape and taste. Be carefull not to dry burn to long because you will risk burning out the coil.

Sfingle

Oct 12, 2012
Arizona
Hey, Sfingle. Welcome! OK I'll try to be concise since there's so much better detailed info here on the forums. As for your Vision Ego carto, assuming it's the disposable kind, you just chuck it when it tastes burned or yucky. Depending on the type of juice and how much you vape and what voltage you use, you should expect 1-3 weeks use from it. I would advise you buy a rebuildable carto/tank like the Vision eGo Stardust. Those will function much like your Vivi Nova as they contain a long wick and coil inside a tank. The coil is replaceable and cleanable. Now on to your Nova. You shouldn't nee to replace the heads on the Nova (or similar devices) often if you care for them properly. Clean them often. Some people clean them once a day. I clean them every 2-3 days when I notice the draw getting tight or the flavor going slightly south. To clean the replaceable heads on a Nova (or a Stardust) take the simplest route. Take the tank apart in the sink and rinse ALL the parts clean with warm running water. This includes the coil head. Rinse the coil head until the wick is clean and free of juice color. The atomizer coil will still be black, but that's OK for now. Dry all the parts with a paper towel inside and out. Blow through the connector tube to get any water out. Make sure your connections are dry. Dry the atty head (wicks) as best as you can with paper. Don't go digging into the coils. A little dampness in the coil is fine. Now screw the atty head onto the connector pole. Leave everything else off for now (the tank, the little silicone top of the atty head, and the top cap). We're going to do a "dry burn". In short 3-5 second pulses fire the atty pausing 5-10 seconds between bursts. At first you should hear it sizzle. After a few fires the wick will dry itself of water and start to burn off any juice residue. You should see some vapor and maybe glowing coils. Once you start to see the coils glow, shorten the fire bursts to 2-3 seconds. Keep doing this until you can see all the coils glowing and no more vapor is produced. Now take a look at the coils. They will be coated with a bit of oxidized juice. I usually clean this off using a wooden toothpick and LIGHTLY brush the surface of the coils being careful not to move them around. Blow out any loose debris. Replace the silicone top (the flat side of the metal ring goes on the inside). Screw on the tank making sure it threads correctly and tighten snugly but don't over-tighten. Fill with juice and don't overfill. Secure the top cap and drip tip. Wait a few minutes for the juice to wick its way to the coil. VAPE.

*EDIT*
So much for being concise. :blush:

Hey, that was concise enough for me; thank you:laugh:.

As for the other replies thanks as well: klynnn the video was very helpful, and Marianol thanks as well, my next idea was to just start looking for Johnson Creek liquids.

By the way the Vision eGo cart I first listed is a rebuildable, with a tube, coil head, threads, etc..., but is only 1.6ml one. Still better than my previous carts, the Blu cig ones, though.

I'm sure I'll be asking more advice on what new batteries, tanks and heads you guys and gals recommend in the future, and once again for the info; any further responses are welcome, too, of course.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
By the way the Vision eGo cart I first listed is a rebuildable, with a tube, coil head, threads, etc..., but is only 1.6ml one.

OK, cool. So that one, the Vision eGo carto, is cared for and cleaned just like the Nova. They don't tend to be as reliable and will crack or leak easier when using certain liquids like cinnamon, apple/pineapple, banana. They have the Ego shape so that's why most people like them. I still use mine and have two more in the mail. Good vaping to you.

Sfingle

Oct 12, 2012
Arizona
OK, cool. So that one, the Vision eGo carto, is cared for and cleaned just like the Nova. They don't tend to be as reliable and will crack or leak easier when using certain liquids like cinnamon, apple/pineapple, banana. They have the Ego shape so that's why most people like them. I still use mine and have two more in the mail. Good vaping to you.

Thanks, and good vaping to you as well, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread