How often do you change your wicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
I currently own a subtank mini and a uwell crown, both with different juices in them. My build is the same, 0.8-1.2 ohm single coil 28g 2.4mm diameter. I change my wick like after every tank, even if its the same juice or similar flavored ones. Thats because the wick looks yellow/orange with some parts of it black (my juice is transparent). I also didn't want to make the rest of the juice in my tank become dark when its not supposed to be. My wicking method is slightly different on the two tanks. Subtank mini i fold them down making them look somewhat like a n shape with the coil laying vertically right in the middle of the n. The uwell crown tank i make it into an S shape with the coil laying horizontally in the middle of the S since the space is so much smaller with the juice holes at the bottom.

Should I be bothered with the juice color in the tank changing and keep using the same wick until i get burnt/dry hits?
Am I changing the cotton wick too often? Using organic japanese cotton btw.
Is my wicking method suitable for chain vaping? If yes, why is my cotton turning black after only one tank? I vape between 8-11 mL a day.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I have a couple of juices that turn orange instead of brown/black. Don't know why that is (probably ingredients), but they seem to take a bit longer to go black. I generally will replace the wick after two tankfuls on my Kayfuns or my subtanks. I don't have a crown tank so I don't know a proper method to wick it (check youtube, there should be plenty of options there) but on the Kayfuns and the Subtank, I always have mine as an inverted "U". With just enough cotton to reach down and touch the deck - no more. On my older Subtank decks, I make sure the juice flow holes are not covered. On the newer deck, I make sure the top part of the wick covers the holes as the tails reach down to the deck. I don't over-stuff them.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Should I be bothered with the juice color in the tank changing and keep using the same wick until i get burnt/dry hits? Depends on the source of the coloring, heat vs dirt. I change my wick before it gets so bad it's burning or giving dry hit because of being dirty. At this point my wick will be almost completly black and my coil will more resemble a lump of charcol than a coil.

Am I changing the cotton wick too often? Using organic japanese cotton btw. probably

Is my wicking method suitable for chain vaping? If it's not burning when clean its probably suitable for chain vaping.

If yes, why is my cotton turning black after only one tank? Because you are heating flavored glycerin juice on a 700degree or soo coil, tends to result in carmelized and burnt sugars.

I vape between 8-11 mL a day. Thats about how much I get per wick.

8-11 ml sounds about right for most heavily flavored liquids in cotton. I vape a DIY menthol/cinnamon, which is pretty clean (and lightly flavored) and get around 30 ml per silica wick.

At that point, I can detect the flavor change and I pull the wick and wire and replace both. By then, they're disgusting and like 93gc40's, the coils look rather like charcoal. I should probably change over more often, but I never do.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Once every 7-8 days, typically. I vape about 70ml before re-wicking my TFV4.
DIY juice, very lightly flavored.
.3Ω @ 44W.

This is after 9 days...
NOM NOM!
20151103_171957.jpg

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Once every 7-8 days, typically. I vape about 70ml before re-wicking my TFV4.
DIY juice, very lightly flavored.
.3Ω @ 44W.

This is after 9 days...
NOM NOM!
20151103_171957.jpg

Thats about how my coils look after 1-2 days, but the wick would be almost black.. I vape NETs and flavored NETs, in the 10-15watt range on Unregulated Mods.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
It really is dependent on the juice, wattage, how much you vape, and coil size. I vape really sweet, dessert type liquids so my wick on those tanks get changed daily. If I'm vaping a clear liquid with little sweetener it will last a couple of day or so. My wick turns black at the contact point with coil and the coil gets all clumped up into a black blob. I pull the cotton out and burn off the coil... good as new. I change my coils once per month. I'm a chain vaper and use about 25 or so ml a day... sometimes more.

I don't have to worry about "knowing when" to change mine... the flavor starts to mute, then if I don't change it right away it gets a yucky taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread