How thick should VG base be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Although i make my own the answer same as above - no ,If that's the case one should change vendors.
IMO, no.

If it's thinner than the 70VG/30PG...then someone goofed up, and you don't actually have 99% VG base.
Thanks! Just wanted to be sure before contacting my vendor.

Reactions: Dieseler

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
A quick test... pieces of paper (printer type). Cut a couple of quarter inch /1cm strips, pour a bit of each liquids on a side of a plate (just a small spoonful), and put the paper down, with just the tip (about 1cm/ 1/4 inch) in the liquid

PG soaks in paper quite fast. VG takes forever, barely soaks in paper.

You should see a difference between them.. if the "99%" VG soaks faster than the 70/30, you'll see it easily. If either of them barely soaks into the paper at all after a few minutes, odds are that it's be the 99% VG one.

Could it be possible that they simply flipped the labels upon shipping?

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Oh, sorry folks, the product specification says:
90% ml Vegetable Glycerine
10% demineralized water

but on the label on the bottle is stated "99% Vegetable glycerin"

do I still have an issue?
well.. it will be runny, and depending on the tank/coil/wicking, it could either leak like crazy if it's too runny, or if you use certain tanks, it'll flow better.

But still, adding water is normally done by the person WHEN they are having major issues with dry hits because their gear can't wick the high VG liquid... but that's usually done with just a few drops at a time. A 10% level is something that I'd consider quite high.

First time I hear of someone selling VG like this to be honest.

You can try it, but if you end up with leakage, flooding and such, you'll know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winblows

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
A lot of nicotine base sellers in the UK add water to VG base - 10% is quite common. Although it only seems to be vape stores who do this, not wholesale sellers. It actually looks and moves just like pure PG.
OP, the label is telling you that the 90% VG is 99% pure, they've just added water to it at 10%.
Personally i consider this to be a rip-off and unless it was advertised as pre-diluted then i would have a problem with the seller.....

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
A lot of nicotine base sellers in the UK add water to VG base - 10% is quite common. Although it only seems to be vape stores who do this, not wholesale sellers. It actually looks and moves just like pure PG.
OP, the label is telling you that the 90% VG is 99% pure, they've just added water to it at 10%.
Personally i consider this to be a rip-off and unless it was advertised as pre-diluted then i would have a problem with the seller.....

Not being in the UK, I wouldn't have known.. it's interesting to hear about it being "common".

It's kinda messed up, as many tanks aren't going to wick right because of that.

Reactions: Winblows

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Not being in the UK, I wouldn't have known.. it's interesting to hear about it being "common".

It's kinda messed up, as many tanks aren't going to wick right because of that.
Probably this is the clue in my leaking tanks ...

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I've got an explanation from seller. They don't distribute "pure" VG (99%), only "VG base" and this is 90% VG + 10% H2O :(
That's just simply wrong.. if someone buys a product expecting something and they've watered it down, that's just wrong.

Well, I'd recommend you checking pharmacies and other vendors and try and get 100% stuff, you could at least mix it with it and lower the water percentage until it's more usable.

Reactions: Zakillah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread