How To Approach A Smoker: The Proper Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Us as vapers come to interact one way or another with someone who is a cigarette smoker. Being a vaper myself I more often than not have the urge to help one quit and take on vaping instead. What is the best way to interact with the smoker if you have the desire to help them quit cigarettes without being rude to them?

There are different scenarios that one can come across regarding who the person is that they are trying to help quit smoking. First off, say you see someone smoking outdoors. Obviously going over to them and telling them smoking is dangerous can be viewed as flat out rude and uncalled for even if you're correct that smoking is very dangerous for him or her. But is there a way that one can actually approach a stranger on the street and convince them the vape? There is also the aquatence/casual friend who's a smoker. It maybe seem easier to get them to vape. How would you possibly get them to take on vaping while still not getting too personal? When it comes to friends and family that smoke, you know them well so speaking to them is easier. What's the most ideal approach to get them to quit?

This topic relates to me because I have a few friends who were a smoker that I helped start vaping. Unfortunately one of them still smokes cigarettes but even with him he smokes a lot less than he had smoked in the past so I accomplished something. It's all about that desire to help spread what worked for us to the unfortunate others. We may not be able to change the whole world but we can definitely change people's lives around us with the same thing that changed our life.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I approach from the upwind side. The smell kills me.

Seriously the first thing I determine is if they truly wish to quit. Vaping, NRT, none of it matters if the person has no desire to quit smoking.

To paraphrase Twain, it isn't the cigar that needs to be overcome. It's the desire to smoke that needs to be overcome.

There's a guy at work that questioned a co-worker and I about vaping. He was more curious as to the tech, not replacing his smoking. It was obvious, but I made a small attempt. I basically told him that if he was ever serious about quitting I would help him get started. He blew it off and I backed off. No point in pushing it, would make me no different than those that hounded me to quit.

All things in time. If someone wants to take up vaping over smoking, I will let them approach me.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Personally, I do not see that anyone has the right to force their views on another.
Back when I was a smoker, I constantly put up with strangers coming up to me and, like I didn't know already, tell me how bad smoking was yada yada yada. I always agreed with them and told them I would stop, as soon as I died! That usually shut them up.

As a vaper, I have put up with that also, although I have real science I can throw back at them, and once they open their mouths I have no reason to agree with them and no reason Not to educate them myself.

I would never overtly suggest to anyone that they should start vaping for any reason.
I also tend to hang around smokers still, and proudly show off my vapes and vapor!
However, once they ask about it, they are fair game and I will give them as much information as they want. I will also offer to help them start.
My methods must work, I've converted dozens of smokers, PIF'd years worth of equipment and still made some money helping them, as well as helped them save money getting more equipment and eliquids.

Of course, you can't help everyone, but those that want the help will show interest!

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Back when I was a smoker, I ran into a dual user when we were both out on a smoking break. The other person mentioned that they usually vaped, but had not been able to bring their gear so they bought a pack of smokes until they could get back home to the vapes. I asked lots of questions, and just filed it away until I got back home and started researching. I got a few disposables to try during my next trip to the ciggy store, and I guess you could say the rest was history.

I wouldn't try preaching to the smokers, just be open to their questions if they ask. If/when they are ready to try vaping, they will seek you out and ask for your help if they need it. I have since thanked the person that pointed me to vaping for answering my questions and helping me start this journey.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
The proper way to approach a smoker is not at all, IMO. In my experience, they'll approach me if they're curious enough. It was sort of touched on above as well, but the spirit of their inquiry will determine my response.

Someone approaching with a closed mind or snark doesn't get the time of day. Someone curious will get as much or as little information as they want. I'll spend as much time as I can afford to an open-minded smoker with a desire to quit. I get approached by colleagues (with whom I'm not otherwise acquainted) once in a while and I make sure they feel like they can come at me any time with questions or whatever.

In any event I never, ever approach a smoker. The vast majority of openly hostile, anti-vape sentiment I get is from smokers, and the bulk of the bunk "science" I hear from people are always smokers.

Non-smokers hate us all equally, so fair dues. ;)

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Vrape. Harsh.
Poof
62d4748c32c5994cd36bf0ff5ec714cf.jpg

Sent from the future

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
Once I tried to convince a dear friend of mine who also smoked for about 30 years to change to vaping.
The more I tried to convince him the more he got upset. thats when it became clear it will not work that way so I stopped pushing him. We did not talk about it anymore at all.
Then after some time out of the blue he started to ask questions and if I could help him setup some gear. He now is a vaper and we laugh about that time.
When ready they will come around.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Poof
62d4748c32c5994cd36bf0ff5ec714cf.jpg

Sent from the future
Not all smokers are like that. Most smokers quit more than 10 times if I got the right number correctly. Many would be interested in a final solution. Myself for example. I didn't want to smoke. If someone would have shown me a way out through vaping before I had a chance to discover it myself I would been very grateful to that person.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
MY opinion, too.
Does that include family, friends and other people that you know well? With these groups of people it's easy to bring up vaping, especially when you both out for a cigarette except that you're vaping. You don't need to push all your opinions in their face, rather say what has worked for you. Many times that can do the trick by sharing your own experience.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Smokers already have to deal with non-smokers harasing them all the time. They don't need vapers jumping in as well. Remember non smokers can be annoying and don't necessarily have good advice. You don't wanna be lumped into that group.

If and when they are ready they will start asking questions about your set up... only then do I try to persuade them by explaining the benefits both health and financial.

$$ is a big motivator. Cigs are like $10+ a pack. When I explain that instead of $300 a month on cigs. They could have an extra $200 a month in there pocket there ears peak up. (Get them on the "budget" Nautilus MTL plan..with online ejuice) under $25 a week including a coil.

Plus you really have to break down the set up cost to them in how many packs of cigarettes does it cost to buy a starter kit. Also explain that after a week or so they will start seeing extra $$ in there pocket to spend.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
The only experience i've had so far is both me and my mother trying to convince my sister to quit. My brother in law is ready to quit but knows full well that for him it's next to impossible if my sister is not onboard,problem is she dosen't want us to get involved and says "she's not ready" been saying that for years now lolz I've even given her a pod style vape for her to try and they both have yet to try it (at least to my knowledge). It's unfortunate considering they have a child,but at the end of the day i can't really force her and neither can my mother (fact is she quitted trying to help her).

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
IMG_0196.JPG
Not all smokers are like that. Most smokers quit more than 10 times if I got the right number correctly. Many would be interested in a final solution. Myself for example. I didn't want to smoke. If someone would have shown me a way out through vaping before I had a chance to discover it myself I would been very grateful to that person.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
It is just not right unless they ask you to help them, it's like those people who walk up to you in a parking lot and ask you if you've found Jesus, I always tell them to check the local synagogue. It is really like quitting anything else drinking drugs betting the ponies, it has to be their choice you pushing them will just annoy them.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Noneayabuisness! That's how I felt as a smoker, and how I feel now as a vaper, as an outsider to MY life and My personal choices and FREEDOM, it's absolututetly nonayodamnbuisness what I choose to do with my body and my time! That being said, lead by example, if I see someone smoking and I am vaping and THEY initiate a conversation, I'll be more than happy to tell them all about it, other than that...its noneamydamnbusiness what they do...live and let live, live and let die...

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
A couple that are friends have tried using the old low-powered cig-a-likes with little success. We discussed vaping for awhile (a few weeks), I did some research and gifted them two new beginners pen styles. With my background and advice the husband transitioned almost immediately, the wife is getting to find a juice to suit her but it's promising.
I've also gifted my brother some pen styles over the years, including this new one, but he never actually bothers to use them.
The smoker needs to have interest and desire to quit, not be badgered and harassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread