Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't differentiate vaping and smoking that much. I consider vaping a safer cheaper form of smoking but that they are essentially similar.

The only move I make is to wave a 60ml bottle at them, point out that it is about the same as two cartons of cigarettes, and that it cost me about $8 to mix. This usually does the trick.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I really tried to get my sister in law to switch when I started, she had expressed some interest. It didn't end up working out and that was the last time I tried. If someone comes to me or strikes up the conversation I'll pass along any info I can but I won't try to convert anyone without invitation again. All I intend to do is be an example, it's been more than a year since I've had a cigarette and I don't think I'll ever pick one up again.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
When I first started, I did actively approach friends who smoked. I was caught up in my enthusiasm and thought vaping would work for almost everyone. Yeah, turns out it doesnt.
Some wont even give it a shot, for whatever reasons, some prefer the taste of a cigarette (urm...ok!?) some cant be arsed with filling/recharging.
All the people I really care about know I vape and they know that IF they wanna give it a shot, they can come to me for help. But the decission is not mine, its theirs. And in my experiance, you really need to want the switch. Half assed attempts dont really work.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes if I don't know the smoker, I probably won't approach. I wouldn't have wanted to be hassled by vapers when I already knew they existed. With that said, I have a few friends and family who've quit recently but they did it cold turkey, so. My efforts with the husband are useless, I have given up for now, LOL.

You know, helping newcomers in this forum is a great way to help former smokers get started, too. Supporting this site is a good thing to do.... There's lots of things you can do. If you are comfortable approaching smokers, I'm not going to dissuade you. I personally don't do it, but there are people that do, but I'd probably start with the approach of just discussing my vape, casually, with no mention of quitting smoking at all... Just talk about the things that YOU like about vaping, would probably be the most polite option I can think of. You still may get shot down, but you might interest a smoker or two. Be prepared to be shot down, however....

Anna

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I have learned to let people be. It is not my place to tell someone they need to quit a harmful habit. Vaping has been around long enough for people to know what it is about, good or bad. No one in the world believes that smoking will not harm or kill them. No one is that naive. People will not quit unless they really want to. So if a smoker wants to quit, they can approach me. I vape in smoking areas where there are smokers. They see the alternative, and if they want to make that step, it is on them to do so, and I will arm them with as much useful information as possible about vaping and how it can help them quit.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
When I was a smoker, I wanted the do-gooders to leave me alone. I am a vaper today and s non-smoker, I still have the same attitude but going the opposite in that I leave smokers alone. I congregate with them in the little designated areas and if someone asks then I tell. If they do not, I talk about anything other than vaping.

I've "convinced" a number of smokers in my life to make the switch, and I did it the same way, every time. We would go for a "smoke" break, and I'd break out the vape, and do my thing. I didn't say a word about what they were doing, just minded my business, and kept talking about continued with whatever the topic of conversation was. Eventually, they would get curious, and start asking me about vaping.

I always try to be honest about my experience. I don't try to sell vaping as some kind of magic bullet, it took me months of dual-use before I could fully switch. I also don't try to convince them that they will save money, because while I'm sure some people do, that wasn't my experience. I tell them that because I was ready to quit smoking, that vaping helped. If they feel like they want to quit, and want to try vaping, I will offer to help them figure out what gear to buy, introduce them to good places to buy from, and I've even passed along old gear that I'm not using anymore, to get them started.

What doesn't work is trying to convince someone who isn't looking to change. Back when I was a smoker, trying to push me to quit was a sure-fire way to annoy me. As a vaper, I have people trying to convince me I should quit that, too, and I have very little use for them. I don't want to be preached to, and I don't expect others do, either.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
large-field-of-dreams-blu-ray5.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it's more like cricket. The ball is 99% wood with a leather casing and you have no gloves to catch it with. You only get protective equipment if you bat, which is an equally horrid experience, and you spend most of your time hiding in the outfield, cringing if the ball comes your way, especially if your team expects you to *catch* it.

Yes, during my time in Sydney I was forced to "play" this horrid "game" and no, I did not enjoy it. Injuries were frequent, and it kinda turned me off team sports for life. Exercise is fine, but the Oz seem to take it to this level where injuries are *celebrated* I mean look at rugby, you don't hear all this talk about head injuries do you? You hear talk about where the drinking is going to take place after a game.

Approaching the wrong smoker can be a bit like that.... Yeah, I tried it.... once. :)

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Life is good (and a lot easier) when I stay in my own hula hoop. I think the sentiment of wanting to help others enjoy what we have is great, and there's no "but." When those coughing, wheezing, coarse-voiced smokers want what I have, they'll ask about it. Until then, I'm happy just sitting upwind and blowing my modest little cloud.

If they ask, I'm all answers. Till then... peace.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
When I was a smoker 2+ years ago, I had never actually seen a vape other than cig-a-likes. When my G/F of the time showed me the one she bought, I was like "Wow!" Although I would have chosen a different first mod for myself. I just never noticed anyone using them, anywhere. I was blind to it. I wouldn't have minded if someone showed me one earlier.

Pleski

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
I tell smokers I think they're heroes, for paying for everyone else's schools, roads and hospitals. I just don't want to be another nagging voice in their ear, but I think it's ok to state an obvious truth that tobacco control denies. If everyone stopped smoking overnight, it would be a fiscal disaster for society.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
What is the best way to interact with the smoker if you have the desire to help them quit cigarettes without being rude to them?

Jazz hands. Nothing starts out a conversation with a smoker like jazz hands. It lightens the mood.

jazz-hands-gif-11.gif

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Not all smokers are like that. Most smokers quit more than 10 times if I got the right number correctly. Many would be interested in a final solution. Myself for example. I didn't want to smoke. If someone would have shown me a way out through vaping before I had a chance to discover it myself I would been very grateful to that person.

I disagree.

Who told me first about vaping was a new business owner in the area near where I worked, who came into the shop and gave me his card, offered me half off anything in his shop, and told me is was a great way to stop smoking.

I laughed. Really. My first thought was oh great, they came out with yet another stop smoking money pit - but this time it's "healthy".. lol.

I hated smoking, my problem is that to that point I had tried literally everything they made to quit, and none of it worked. I was resigned to my fate... had stopped hoping long before.

So, he told me he had a shop full of these new stop smoking aids, and I promptly ignored then forgot everything he said about them. Why? Because nothing worked, why would this?

I didn't try it until two or three years later when my health started really failing.. then I was scared, and remembered that thing called vaping, and decided to talk to my doctor about what she thought about it. It took a lot for me to give one more go at quitting. I wouldn't have been that way either but for all the time and money I had spent quitting unsuccessfully.

So.. just because someone tells you about vaping, doesn't mean your necessarily receptive to it at the time.. majority of smokers have tried everything under the sun to get us off the smokes and grow to see it all as a money pit.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Us as vapers come to interact one way or another with someone who is a cigarette smoker. Being a vaper myself I more often than not have the urge to help one quit and take on vaping instead. What is the best way to interact with the smoker if you have the desire to help them quit cigarettes without being rude to them?

There are different scenarios that one can come across regarding who the person is that they are trying to help quit smoking. First off, say you see someone smoking outdoors. Obviously going over to them and telling them smoking is dangerous can be viewed as flat out rude and uncalled for even if you're correct that smoking is very dangerous for him or her. But is there a way that one can actually approach a stranger on the street and convince them the vape? There is also the aquatence/casual friend who's a smoker. It maybe seem easier to get them to vape. How would you possibly get them to take on vaping while still not getting too personal? When it comes to friends and family that smoke, you know them well so speaking to them is easier. What's the most ideal approach to get them to quit?

This topic relates to me because I have a few friends who were a smoker that I helped start vaping. Unfortunately one of them still smokes cigarettes but even with him he smokes a lot less than he had smoked in the past so I accomplished something. It's all about that desire to help spread what worked for us to the unfortunate others. We may not be able to change the whole world but we can definitely change people's lives around us with the same thing that changed our life.

I was the first person in my family and circle to vape. WHEN I was successful, many started asking questions which I gladly answered, and I left it at that, for a while.

Then a friend of mine spoke to me after I'd been one year successful and said how she would give anything to quit smoking too. I sent her some links to her phone of what I told her she needed to buy, and told her about all the things I did to make quitting easier and she quit smoking two weeks later.

After that, it was one by one by one. My sister in law was next, I gave her the same set up as a gift that I sent my friend a link to when she was asking about it.. her and her husband both ended up quitting. She had problems, but mentioned them when she was visiting and I was able to fix her problem for her during that visit. She never picked up a cigarette again.

My son and husband were last in my family. Last Christmas I decided my son needed to vape. He was having money problems and was spending a fortune on cigarettes.. he knew I vaped and had regularly teased me about plugging in my cigarettes etc. And I teased him about being behind the times.. all in good fun, but last Christmas I decided he needed to give it a shot, and spending money on a three pack a day habit he was going to need some help. So I put together a box of some vape gear for him to try and sent it, along with everything he needed.. he didn't like lower wattage so I bought him a sub ohm kit, and that was all she wrote for him. He actually called me one day and said "dang, who knew vaping could be so much fun!" Then he laughed at himself for laughing at me.. now we get to tease each other about the way we vape.. (he's a cloud chasers and I'm a low wattage vaper.. fun ensues!)

Well that sealed my husband's fate.. he decided if my son was happy with it then he might try it again (he didn't like the ego when he once took a drag, and I had since graduated from that) so one day he took a drag off my p3, and promptly stole it from me.. lol.

Anyway, so now that the men are doing it, more and more are wanting to get into it.. apparently people realize now that it's not just a girly thing, but something that works, and I am now the go to quit smoking advice person in our area.

For strangers, they come up to me when I'm outside in public vaping and ask me questions about it.. I don't approach people I don't know, but last doctors visit I attracted a small crowd when standing outside vaping. First one man came up to talk to me about it, then a couple joined in when they were outside smoking, then another guy, then another. Suddenly we were all standing around talking and one by one I was answering their questions about vaping. In the end I passed out cards to vape shops online, and gave them some advice as to what to buy to start out.

This kind of thing happens more and more..I'm never pushy, I don't have to be. They only person I actually ever kind of pushed was my son, and that only because he really couldn't afford cigarettes at that time. He can afford them now, but never went back to it, he likes vaping too much.

I do give away kits, sometimes tanks, and help people all I can though. Sometimes I just buy stuff for them and have them pay me back.. depends on the person.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is nice when smokers do ask, and Opinionated, you're such a nice person when it comes to vape advice, I'm not surprised at all at the numbers of folks you've helped with vaping. There is a niche of smokers who don't know much about it other than what has been said in the media. I do like it when smokers ask me about vaping, it's neat.

Vaping is so interesting I mean I dual used for a while at first, with never the intention to quit, in fact dropped vaping completely for a while. Health issues caused me to return to it with a completely different mindset. :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread