How To Build The Turbo Coil Winder

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hey guys, so I've been rebuilding atties for the past couple of years and back when I started I first watched a few youtube video's and read tutorials here and there. basically they all went something like, take this stationary object and wrap the wire around this stationary object.

the stationary object was usually either a tiny screwdriver or a luer loc needle, eventually guys came out with different kinds of "jigs" to make coil wrapping easier. dark zero was the first but everyone copied this in some way shape or form, these jigs all trapped one end of the wire but then still required you to wrap wire around a stationary object.

now from the beginning this never really felt right to me. I mean I tried it like that but pulling the wire up,back,down,forward,up,back,down,forward just felt awkward to me and I knew I wasn't getting a really consistent wrap, when it comes to microcoils I believed that the more even and consistent it was wrapped the more even and consistent it would fire, so I came up with a way for myself to wrap coils that involved me holding the wire stationary while spinning a crank handle to wrap a coil and the turbo wrapper was born

in the beginning I would just start a wrap then pinch this tight in my fingertips and crank the handle, and when I got my pinch right the result was a perfectly tight and uniform microcoil that was under much more tension and compression than the regular wrapping methods. I got the hang of pinching it and I have since always had great coils but when I tried to show others how to do this they just never really got the hang of it and gave up, saying they couldn't do it and it hurt there fingers

I knew my method was awesome and I really wanted to share it but no one ever really "got it" because many could not pinch and compress it tight enough with their fingers, so I always thought I would try to build some kind of clamp that would do what my fingertips were doing

well I finally decided to get around to really trying to build this because many guys were struggling in the microcoil threads to try and make perfect coils. guys were using rigs that bolted down to a desk and then using a reel to impart tension on the wrap, some even using fishing reels spooled with kanthal. now some of these methods may have worked ok but to me there just very cumbersome and unnecessary, I mean here I had a great way to make coils as easy as sharpening a pencil yet I wasn't able to share it with anyone so I decided to make it my goal to develop a way that I can show anyone exactly how to do this and keep it so simple that just about anyone should be able to do it, and this here thread is the result of this.

I knew I wouldn't be able to build these for everyone and I'm not looking to go into business making and selling these so instead I decided that I would come up with a method that anyone can do for not a lot of money and requires no special tools or talents and share this method here as sort of an open source project.

there are many ways to design and build a wrapper using my method but here my only goal was to design something as cheap and easy as possible for others to do, yet still result in a tool that worked 100%. I sourced all of the materials from local places that anyone here should have access to and made it simple enough that even a child should be able to do it.

I really hope some of you guys try this and enjoy it, it's rare to find something that the best way will also be the easiest way, yet here once you build and learn the turbo wrapping way I promise that all other coiling methods will be soon forgotten, this is def the easiest and best way to build microcoils to me and I'm glad that I was finally able to figure out a way to share this with all of you. I call this an open source project because I'm hoping that once others start building these, with your input we may be able to come up with ways to make this even better or easier for others and share these ideas here

I put together a video showing how to make this, later I'll also add a written guide here in this thread too but I think this should be simple enough to follow. I would GREATLY appreciate any input as to anything you may not be clear on or have problems with, my goal is to make this so easy to do that anyone can do it and I would welcome all input that may further that goal. enjoy :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I appreciate your effort building this device, but wrapping a coil around a screwdriver is done by hand in lightning speed, and with all the cheap coilers now available that'll make a coil in 5 seconds I don't think all that effort was really necessary JMO

tru I get that and I'm not going to say any of those other methods are bad, there are many ways to get to a good vape. I'm more after the best vape I can possibly get. a perfect microcoil gives a certain something that only a perfect microcoil can give. it adds a nice boost to the flavor and smoothness, almost adds a creaminess to the vape . in the right atty for me it's vaping bliss.

to get to this effect though you need a perfect coil or damn near close to it. any kind of small gaps or openings in between the wraps will diminish the effect and with enough gaps the effect is gone. you need a perfect tight cylinder to get the highest effect. you have to try it to really "get it" I guess, but if you want to try to up your vape you might want to try this :) all of my coils look like it's glued shut because of the compression built into the wind. no heating with a torch or squeezing into shape, the coils just come off the spool to the jig then off the jig as perfect as perfect can be each and every time in seconds. my coiler will make coils faster than any kind of hand wrapping on a screwdriver. it may take 5 seconds on a screwdriver but it takes only 3 seconds with my winder :)

here's an idea of what perfect coils look like, only way your going to know what they vape like is to try it :)

look at the difference in this build from my twister:

compared to a typical mounted coil:

all of those gaps nullify "the effect" that you get from a true microcoil at it's finest. yeah it will still vape good, maybe even great, but the effect you get from a true tight micro is like icing on the cake :)

I'm going to try to do a video tonight showing how to use this and what kind of builds you can get from this

seanol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
Nice job Turbo!

I have all the stuff, just need time this weekend to make it. I can't believe you could create that from everyday items and in such a way that it takes very little in the way of skill and tools to make. Unbelievable!

Now I wish I had waited on the coil master. I did not see anything in the video that needed any clarification and it looks very easy to do with easily availible parts.

Thanks for the major contribution to our vaping,
Sean

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
sean honestly that was the biggest challenge, boiling it down to a dead simple way with common items and no tools. I can build something much more elaborate but that wasn't going to help anyone else here. I didn't want this restricted to only those who have mechanical and technical skills, I wanted something that even grandma could go out and pick up the stuff and put together herself if she wanted to

here is a more high end tool that I used before this. truth is they both do the job exactly the same though, which was an important part of my goal. the coilwrapper I showed performs 100% just as well as a custom made billet piece

20150530_005822_zps79tyvgdb.jpg

20150530_005833_zps75siilsh.jpg

20150530_005848_zpshlal3hop.jpg

seanol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
Turbo,
I have access and have used Lathes and mills before so I can build pretty much anything I want. What makes it tough is to boil all that knowledge down and get creative enough to put pandora back in the box!

I have a huge box full of tools from my old days working on stuff and could do most of it with what I have in the garage. But to make it so that anyone can do it, especially those with a handicap or arthritis is amazing!

Thinking out of the bix is what this is and I applaud you for this amazing contribution. You have made a tensioned coil more accessable than ever and reduced the trial and error of the process significantly.

Good job bud!

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
ok, for those of you on the fence as to weather this is actually worth the effort or not, take a look at another coiler I built for myself to fully explore the differences in tensioned microcoils.

now this machine makes really perfect coils and it's def my benchmark to judge by, but as awesome as this electric winder is honestly I don't even bother using it much at all, this spinning method is even easier and the results are just as good :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
@turbocad6 what's the thickness of the leather?

there is no specification given. basically they (Micheal's) had 2 thicknesses, one was very thick and stiff, kind of closer to what you'd expect a single ply belt or shoe may be made from and the other is thinner and softer, kind of like a lighter weight leather jacket may be and it folds and drapes easily, the thicker is rigid and flat . I'm using the thinner softer leather here but the thicker one should work fine too.

truth is other materials may work just as well or better even. that's the open source part of this. for example the softer part of a piece of velcro may work. a heavy piece of thick canvas may work but to me the leather was my first choice and I never tried anything else. I figured it had the closest amount of drag feel and toughness to do what my fingertips did :)

I'm sparking the idea and basic recipe here but together we may find even better or easier ways to add to this too. the basic recipe as-is is hard to beat but there's always room for improvement :)

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
i bet you if you did the first two wraps around your mandral snug to each other the rest will follow, becouse you are creating a gap at the beginning thats why it will continue to do so, its the same when you clapton wire, if you start to get a gap you are far better to stop and snug what youve already done together orelse if you have your finger and thumb wrapped around a few open then its like a corkscrew, pushing your fingers along with the spaces, hope that makes sense :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread