Status
Not open for further replies.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Aal, I think your problem is the cutter you got doesn't have the curve like mine does. the curve allows you to grab the end of the wire well behind the starter wrap, causing a backwards pull against the wrap. look at the second video in this thread and watch the first coil I wrap that comes out bad. you'll see that I caught the wire pretty inboard from this outer corner. your cutter having a square end is the same as that first bad coil, grabbing the wire in the wrong place, too far forward. the curve is why I chose these cutters, something square ended like yours and most other pliers in general would require grinding and notching to allow the starter wrap to be recessed into the jaws so it can grab the wire well behind the starter wrap.

this curved end nipper I used is the key to why this works so well as simply as it does. it's like only $2 at harbor freight. I'm guessing that don't help much in Greece though :)
Heh yeah well couldn't find a cutter on its own. Didnt pay attention to the curve. I have to look more. I have one curved but that one is high quality and I don't want to ruin it. This red one came with another cutter and a plier. Worst quality, they cannot even be used normally lol.they were 2.5 euros lol.

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
P1020182.JPG
P1020183.JPG
Don't know what I'm doing wrong, coils like these are all I'm getting. :(

Reactions: turbocad6

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
You might be over thinking this a bit. The jewelry making industry has made numerous simple wire coiling tools with handles to turn the mandrels (available in a multitude of sizes) and coil the wire. Like:

how-to-use-coiling-tool-step-6.jpg

m7O99bMd4RA1uTczXJQPdhg.jpg
mz1qvxr6besd7t1NwSIlqrw.jpg
Jump-Ring-Maker-step3TH.jpg

No, not overthinking it - perfecting it. I used to think the coil gizmo was the best known option to man till Turbocad sent me a winder kit. There is no comparison between the coils produced by the jewelry winder and the TURBOwinder.

TURBOwinder coils - zero light passes thru the winds. They are tight because they place some tension on the wire and also form the wire tightly to the mandrel. They are perfect coils even when inspected under magnification and evident when pulsing them to oxidation.

These are TURBOwinder coils:
image.jpg

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
View attachment 464211

Well this is encouraging. After about 3' of wire, I finally get a good one. I'm afraid to try and duplicate it now, not quite sure yet just what I did to make the difference.

what I would suggest is watch my video and pay attention to how I set the wraps up and how I clamp them. maybe your not squeezing the clamp enough, you don't need to squeeze it very hard but you do need to keep it compressed. maybe your not inserting the wraps into the jaws enough? you don't want to stick the tool into the jaws from the point you want to open the clamp wide and insert it sideways so the wraps wind up going deep into the jaws. the eraser should compress the wrap tight enough for it to not spool up like that. also make sure that you clamp the wire back in the jaw.without seeing what you are doing it's hard to tell what your doing wrong, I'd say watch my setup and clamping and compare it to what you are doing. notice how my last setup wrap almost meets the wrap before it at a V. they don't need to be touching but they do need to be angled right to make it hit correctly when you start to spin it

You might be over thinking this a bit. The jewelry making industry has made numerous simple wire coiling tools with handles to turn the mandrels (available in a multitude of sizes) and coil the wire. Like:

how-to-use-coiling-tool-step-6.jpg

m7O99bMd4RA1uTczXJQPdhg.jpg
mz1qvxr6besd7t1NwSIlqrw.jpg
Jump-Ring-Maker-step3TH.jpg

YoursTruli I never liked the jewelery jigs because of the whole "clamp it to a table" type deal. I want making a coil to be easy and quick. getting a consistent angle and tension with a jewelry coiler is difficult at best and would require additional apparatus such as resistance reels and stuff. that's not for me, I like quick and easy.

the fact that it also makes great coils, maybe even some of the best coils makes this method a no brainer for me personally and I wouldn't want to wrap a coil any other way. I felt it was so good that I wanted to share it. anyone who is happy with there current coiling methods don't have to try this of course, I guess this is more for someone who may want to try to get easier quicker and better coils.

I've heard of guys saying a build they did took 1/2 hours, 45 minutes to do, or playing around with a build for an hour or more. to me coils are cheap and disposable and not worth an investment of that much time. I want to do a build in 5 minutes flat and my winder is by far the fastest easiest way to me. literally seconds from spool to jig, seconds to spin the coil up then a minute or 2 to unwrap the ends, trim it up and mount it.

I finally got a chance to put the dual parallel coils video together. in this video I do a dual parallel and fire it, then I do 2 more dual parallels and mount them as dualing duals in a derringer. I've been vaping that dual dual build for the past day on a mech and wow, really nice vape, so thick and so flavorful. a bit more than I'm used to in the vapor production for sure but I'm not complaining :) here's a few shots of the build, was quick and easy but it still took over 15 minutes to do this build because it's more complicated than a regular single or dual coil build.

20150614_050046_zpsgh9k7lko.jpg

20150614_050446_zpsjcoqwu5d.jpg

and here's what it looks like after a days worth of vaping with a dark well steeped juice :)

20150615_003951_zpso5ebjwol.jpg

20150615_004129_zpsypjngx7b.jpg

here is a video I found on my youtube channel of the coil winder that I originally did back in 2013, way before the clamp came into the picture. this was one of the first ones I made. I soon after realized the nuts weren't necessary and have since just been using a simple loop to catch the wire end :) it may not be obvious how hard I'm actually pinching it here with my fingers but apparently many were not able to duplicate it with there pinch :)

and here's the dual dual parallel build video

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
The good old days Turbo :D!!

Well i found out that if you make a couple more wraps by hand first in the "backwards" direction, the angle is much easier to work with. And that's with the wrong pliers. I will get the good pliers these two days and play more.

By the way was going to ask you about the compressing erasers. Since im using a plier that doesn't open much and made like a gazillion coils, my erasers were almost rendered to a thin layer of rubber lol.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah I guess without the curve if you add a few more wraps to make up the space then you can get the backwards angle even with the square jaw pliers

check out my dual dual video, I mention the eraser issue and show an idea of how to solve it, I find it's mostly a problem when going to much larger coils then going back to smaller ones. I think if you stick to one diameter it'll last much longer, maybe use 2 clamps, one for smaller and one for larger but either way replacing the compression erasers is quick and easy too

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I splurged @ the Depot and got the 3 pack of mini pliers, 2 3/32 drill bits, Steel Stick epoxy and some blades for my utility knife for less than $20. Had pens and erasers, used the back of an old leather glove and my custom made 3/32 rod out of my coil gizmo. Works perfect first try.:thumbs:

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just a tip for those who haven't done work with epoxy. While I was forming the epoxy blob it got everywhere and on everything I touched, not a big deal but be aware. Luckily I felt it on the drill bit before it had hardened and I had a shot glass of Everclear that I was using to clean everything so I wiped everything down before it set. Alcohol is a great epoxy solvent until it dries, keep a little handy to wipe down everything that doesn't need epoxy on it.

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
Well, I've made exactly zero coils with this jig that are worth a flip. The trouble I seem to be running into is that to provide enough tension I have to compress the nippers where they won't advance on the mandrel in front of the coil. So what I end up with is one giant wrap on top of another wrap on top of another wrap.

Any ideas?

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've had a few of those, some loose ones that are very evenly spaced too. The worst ones were the ones that were perfect and I jacked up the legs try to put them in the Nuppin. :-x I think the ones that come out all wrapped around the same spot start out with the wire not being correctly angled and possibly too far twords the middle of the pliers. My good ones seem to push the pliers along while the wire enters in the same spot. I haven't noticed, but I bet on the bad ones the wire goin in is moving across the pliers.

I may pull out the tool kit a little later and I'll post anything I figure out.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK I've played with it some more, I've probably made about 30 coils since I built it (4 days ago) and about 1/3 of those look great and I'm working on getting the 6th working build done. At this point I can pop out a good coil about every other try and the problem is me getting the legs bent correctly. I'm working on a parallel coil in a Nuppin.

Tonight I learned that it is very easy to turn the mandrel the wrong direction when you switch from making the first few wraps by hand to twisting the mandrel in the pliers.

Also found that it is important to secure the wire in the loop the same way every time so you don't pull from the wrong end.

Finally I found out that it is important to have that little angle on the wire feeding in, but if you aren't pushing the mandrel towards the pliers you won't know what kind of coil will come out.

Overall, it just takes a little practice and it's just something you need to play with a little and get your routine worked out. If you can have the video going as you go through the coil rolling process, there are lots of things Turbo says that you miss if you watch it and then try it.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I've given up on this for the time being, just can't get it right. Although wire is cheap, I'm tired of wasting it. I keep reading here of your experiences in hopes something will click with me, and eventually I'm sure it will, so at some point I will give it another go, but until then, it's the Gizmo, I can make that work.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Practice, I've been through a spool of 28ga. It doesn't seem to have much affect on the coil if you open it up and look at it, make a few turns and have a look, see if you can figure out what went wrong if it's not right and then wind a few more turns. That helped me a bunch, and I wasn't wasting so much wire. If the first 6or 6 wraps are bad you can unspool them at the end, so I just wrapped until there was nothing left and the pulled back from each side to get the best looking part out.

Reactions: Gigdujour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread