How to clean steel mesh wicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snottyragsdale

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
New York State
Hi, I've been using a mini did clone for almost a month now, with 400 steel mesh and 32 gauge kanthal. I get a week to a week and a half out of my wicks before they don't want to wick and I get a nasty burnt taste unless I tip it upside down before each puff. The juice I'm using is 70/30 pg/vg. To try and clean the wicks I've been running under 180 degree F water and brushing with a baby tooth brush...then dry burning the water off. This sometimes helps for a little while, but doesn't work more than once. Is there a better way to make wicks last longer, and if not, is this the average life of a ss wick?

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
I've got wicks that are over 3 months old. 1st I'll brush off gunk with a small children's toothbrush & then dry burn. If that doesn't work, I'll slide the wick out of the coil & torch it again. Sometimes I can still gras du in there, so I'll use my steamer wand on my espresso machine to blast it off & then do a light torching. Reinstall & vape away.

Good Luck!

snottyragsdale

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
New York State
I've got wicks that are over 3 months old. 1st I'll brush off gunk with a small children's toothbrush & then dry burn. If that doesn't work, I'll slide the wick out of the coil & torch it again. Sometimes I can still gras du in there, so I'll use my steamer wand on my espresso machine to blast it off & then do a light torching. Reinstall & vape away.

Good Luck!
Well, I brushed and dry burned :mad:, torched it :mad:, then boiled for 10 minutes in a ROLLING boil and torched it and dry burned it...:mad::blink::mad: Not nad a nudda!

Thanks for trying to help...maybe someone out there has the same problem and can chime in? PLEASE :vapor:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Yeah, this has happened to me. It's a combination of the specific juice that you're using, and that your coil isn't vaporizing all of the liquid- it's boiling it. 32 Kanthal has this problem sometimes, where it just doesn't have enough power to efficiently handle the amount of juice a good genesis wick can throw at it. Try switching to a different flavor of juice, and either raise the voltage, lower the coils' resistance, or switch to 28 kanthal.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i pull the wick and torch it real fast till the coil section is red then rinse in hot water then take and roll it a bit in my fingers crunching it a bit then a another quick rinse and a shake then i have a pill bottle with pg in it. i drop the wick in and shake it to remove the water then reload it into the atty. i have wicks in the 3-4 week old range and still work fine. with a drillbit style coil the wick pops out and in real easy.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't remove the wicks for cleaning. I use a syringe, and fill the tank with Everclear, swish it around, and pull the Everclear back out. I may do this a second time, depending what was in the tank last. I then dry burn, and brush whatever crud is on the coils off with a Dentek brush. Check for hot spots, adjust as necessary, fill back up, and vape. I have wicks and coils that are 2-3 months old that still work perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread