How to determine resistance for fused Clapton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
Hi, I ordered some of this wire from Gear Best Kuken Tech Fused Clapton Resistance Wire, it's 28x2 32 Fused Clapton. I've used Steam Engine for my single wire coils but not sure how to use it for multiple. I could venture a guess and calculate for the three different wires in the same build, but I'm actually not sure if this is kanthal or SS. Anyhow, if you have any input, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Deepwinter

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2017
But 32g is a massive wrap for 28g.

Hey just a quick response although I know the thread is a few months old.
The wrap wire actually does contribute to the resistance depending on the gage its not an insignificant amount.

e.g. Parallel
3 x 28g KA1 3mm D and 5 wraps = .373 for Single Coil and .186 for Dual

e.g. Fused Clapton
3 x 28g KA1/ 32g KA1 wrap, 3mm D and 5 wraps = .446 for Single Coil and .223 for Duel

In general you have to double the diameter of the wrap wire to the core wire to account for resistance of the wrap wire.

With 2 core wires the wrap is more significant with more core wires as a percentage of the total the wrap is less significant.

On steam engine to account for more then 2 core wires, after selecting Clapton select parallel for your core wires, at the bottom of that box theres a little plus sign you can add as many core wires as you need by pressing that.
It's a function I totally missed initially and was using the twisted wire option but that only goes up to 4, so until I figured out the + sign there was always a little bit of messing about to get the figure I was looking for.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
As a builder I can tell you from real word use, the wrap doesn't change the resistance but the fact that the coil has a slightly higher ID does.
Steamengine just uses math to calculate what the resistance should be in a perfect world. It doesn't know that the power just takes the path of least resistance when the wrap is too resistant.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Reactions: genelbc

Deepwinter

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2017
As a builder I can tell you from real word use, the wrap doesn't change the resistance but the fact that the coil has a slightly higher ID does.
Steamengine just uses math to calculate what the resistance should be in a perfect world. It doesn't know that the power just takes the path of least resistance when the wrap is too resistant.

Possibly I haven't done the experiment myself, but I did read a post on redit where some claimed there was a difference when he tested it, your theory makes sense though.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
In your Steamengine example you stated that the resistance was higher as some kind of clapton. If the wrap was part if the circuit the resistance would be lower because there is a new path for the power to flow through. Instead it's higher because of the bigger ID.

If the wrap made any electrical difference at all my staggertons would read different (lower) if I used a 38g SS wrap instead of a 40g KD wrap but they don't. It's 0.06ohm either way and if the resistance isn't changing by onehundredth of an ohm then there's no power going through that wrap at all.
With a 40g fuse it takes probably over 20' for me to get a full fuse on something. Imagine just how high that resistance is compared to all that frame and ribbon.
[emoji106]

Reactions: genelbc

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Re: outer wrap affecting resistance. Think of it this way, instead of resistance, think in terms of conductivity or "conductance" (the inverse of resistance.) The outer wrap has very very high resistance (it's super-thin and really long), so on the inverse, it has very very low conductivity. So when you add this tiny amount of extra conductivity to the already high-conductivity (low-resistance) of the core wire, you can see that it doesn't affect the current path very much at all. Just using easy numbers here, let's say the initial resistance was some low number, we'll call it .1 ohms. Invert that, we get 10 "units of conductivity" (technically Siemens, symbol "S" but some of the more fun people refer to them as mhos, "℧"). Add an outer wrap and it's like 10.1 mhos, very little conductivity added there. Invert that again and you get .099 ohms, which is not far off from the .100 we started with before the wrap wire was accounted for.

And as mentioned, the claptoned wire has a thicker cross-section than just the bare core, and so it takes a longer section of wire for each wrap around the same Internal Diameter, leading to higher resistance if you measure your coils by wraps and ID vs. by wire length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread