How to inhale - a tip for consistent vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Inconsistent performance can occur when you don't get juice flow to the heater coil. This can occur even though the cart has sufficient (is full/topped up), and can occur when dripping too. It's not necessarily because there is not enough juice or that the atomizer is dry but that the juice is not getting onto the heater coil.

The reason is that a certan draw force (strength of inhale) can be enough to activate the coil (light comes on and coil heats up) but not enough to draw droplets from the metal wicking mesh to the coil.

atty88.png

So, when you notice vapor trail off or a burnt smell (atomizer 'running dry'), try a brief more forceful inhale, followed by your usual inhale. You might well hear the short strong inhale pull some juice onto the coil (slight slurp-like sound of the droplets).

This is what is sometimes referred to as a 'primer puff'; for it to solve this particular issue it needs to be strong (usually by primer puff is meant pre-heating the coil, but in this case it is getting droplets of juice to the coil that is the aim).

It generally needs a bit more force of inhale to get some juice onto the heater coil than to activate the coil. I find I need to do the short strong inhale every so often (about every third puff or so) with my 901s - and then all is well.

In time, you'll know just how hard to inhale and when, and it will become second nature.

If the short strong inhale does not help, try dropping a few drips into the atomizer; wait a minute and try that. If it now works ok then the problem is that the cart is not properly contacting the 'metal bridge' inside the atomizer. In this case, try pulling out the cart material a little bit.

Last edited:

mjones

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
South Carolina USA
crossroadsvapor.com
I've found that if I keep the vent hole on my 901 upright all the time, juice does not collect in the hole and the draw stays easier longer. Taking a super easy and really slow draw seems to work best for me so far. When I started I dragged super hard and all I got was juice and a weak hit. Sometimes I've found that if I alternate slanting the end up when I top off and down when it runs low helps alot. It seems when I tilt back the juice comes away from the coil and gets better vaper on a fresh topoff.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
That is the finest drawing of a coil to date. Cheers. This technique can sometimes work if the atomizer is already flooded. A quick, hard draw can clear the atomizer just long enough to get it vaping again.

Not sure about the diagram being so great, but glad you like it ;)

Because the coil is not attached to the metal mesh, getting the juice from the mesh to the coil requires a certain level of inhale that can be more than that required to activate the coil. That's the point. Obviously seasoned vaporers do this without thinking. So it is not about the atomizer being flooded, it is about pulling droplets from the mesh to the coil.

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Lu - why's that?? It is newbies who need to know this.

ps: i didn't know it was moved and thought it was deleted for some reason; even asked SJ to investigate ...

The newbs can read it in the general discussion forum. There's a lot of info newbs need to know. It couldn't possibly all be posted in the newbs forum as then their introductions/questions get buried.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/15222-newb-forum.html#post264474

Thanks,
Lu

McLaren

May 5, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
The reason is that a certan draw force (strength of inhale) can be enough to activate the coil (light comes on and coil heats up) but not enough to draw droplets from the metal wicking mesh to the coil.

This happens to my girlfriend a lot. I'll take a big puff and then she hits it and get nothing.LOL she thinks i'm playing a trick on her.

bugeater

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
San Jose, CA
This explains why the technique I'm using works so well for me.

My e-cig of choice is the 510 with a manual battery. When I find that the cart is running dry, I take a series of quick hard puffs without activating the atomizer. After those puffs, I take the draw with the atomizer activated. I usually get a good draw from it.

With this technique I find that I use up the cart much better and I don't have to refill that much. When I do, I find that I can usually fit in 12-15 drops as opposed to the 5-7 drops when I don't do those dry puffs.

Another reason why manual batteries are far superior IMHO.

SO.... When I drip should I be trying to get the juice on the COIL? Because usually I like to soak the bridge part above the coil... Seems to work well but would it work better getting it directly on the coil?

Drip onto metal bridge. Wait half a minute or so, and you're ready.

If a drip is put directly onto the coil, the coil will be 'flooded' and will not heat up properly for a while.

Last edited:
No idea why this works, but if I puff "into" my cartridge (pen style) just before inhaling, it produces a great hit.

That would push droplets from the bridge to the coil; will 'work' but as bugeater said, might also send droplets from behind the ceramic pot into the battery. Even if you have a manual, there's no reason to blow; a short sharp inhale achieves the same thing without shortcutting the normal juice flow.

stiv

Feb 21, 2010
Australia
This explains why the technique I'm using works so well for me.

My e-cig of choice is the 510 with a manual battery. When I find that the cart is running dry, I take a series of quick hard puffs without activating the atomizer. After those puffs, I take the draw with the atomizer activated. I usually get a good draw from it.

With this technique I find that I use up the cart much better and I don't have to refill that much. When I do, I find that I can usually fit in 12-15 drops as opposed to the 5-7 drops when I don't do those dry puffs.

Another reason why manual batteries are far superior IMHO.

Good idea. I never thought of this... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread