How to know if my e-juice still usable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorneoBro

Aug 9, 2017
i found a few juices from old stash . i dont remember how it has been there . its been covered quite well . but some of the juices look very different then usual . some are very dark , and some are golden brown and some are dark yellow . I'm confused if it is still vapable or not. how long can an e-juice be kept ? will I die if i vape expired e-juices ? how do i know if my e-juice is expired ?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i found a few juices from old stash . i dont remember how it has been there . its been covered quite well . but some of the juices look very different then usual . some are very dark , and some are golden brown and some are dark yellow . I'm confused if it is still vapable or not. how long can an e-juice be kept ? will I die if i vape expired e-juices ? how do i know if my e-juice is expired ?

You're pretty safe for about a year no matter what is in the juice. IMO what goes bad first is anything that is organic, like flavor extracts. I try to use only synthetic flavorants and feel they are good for a couple of years anyway.

VG is good for a couple of years from manufacrure, PG and nic last longer.

So, if you think they have been there for a few months my bet is they are good. A few years and you're best to be careful with them. In between that it's up to you to make up your own mind :). I know of no easy way to test old juice to know if it's still good. IMO color is not a good indicator of safety.

Please err on the side of caution :thumb:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If I find a bottle of ejuice that's very old, (like plus 3 years) I will toss it. That's gotten a lot easier to just *do* now that I am DIY.

That said, I've vaped juice that was a couple years old, just out of curiosity. Probably not the best plan, I was still dual using and my tastebuds? Not like they are now. Juice turning darker isn't necessarily *bad*, but I prefer to use it if it's in a glass bottle just out of worries about plastic leeching or something (despite my clumsiness, I am still a glass bottle kinda gal, though those tiny, squeezy bottles with the needle nose tip are way easier for filling.) Normally I don't take that much issue with plastic, but there ARE a lot of possible things in e-juice I don't know about so it just seems safest and I use dark glass bottles anyway, so I only see what my juice looks like as I'm dropping it in there and I have a feeling I will be having less "old" ejuice laying around in any case....

I guess taste/vape would be the way to tell, but there's really not much "scientific" data on that that I know of. I did ask a vendor once and they only said, "Our juice improves with age," which may be true... to a point. :) So I'm not sure how helpful it was....

I've never gotten sick from e-juice that I *know* of, fortunately the older flavors I was buying back in the day were all tobacco flavors, which I now hate, so it's even easier to toss those bottles....

Anna

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I ran into kind of a similar situation. I had some liquid from MEL in 130 ml bottles that I liked, but I had shelved them and forgot about them. I got them at 24 mgs nic and 100% PG because the flavors are good and strong enough that I can add my own VG and get what I want. When I was checking out their site I noticed that they only went up to 65 ml bottles. So I asked one of their account service people (a really nice guy) about it and he said something like, "Oh my...I think we stopped selling that at least a year ago." Turns out my bottles were over a year old. Something like 18 months. I looked online and the stuff I saw stated that you can expect juice to be good for two years if you take care of it, which I had been doing. The juice was fine. It had great color, great flavor, great aroma, no sediment at all, ran through my coils like a dream. If anything the stuff just got better with age. I ordered some more and went through what I had. I really do enjoy their tobacco flavors. Working on Pirate's Bounty right now which is a spiced rum flavored tobacco blend. Looking forward to trying a peppery cowboy motif one next.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I found two, almost three year old bottles in an old laptop carrying case last month. One had about 20ml of MEL's Monkey .... (a chocolate cookie) and one with about 15ml of AVE's Boba's Bounty.

I tried them and both were fantastic.

Sadly, neither of these flavors are in production anymore.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I found two, almost three year old bottles in an old laptop carrying case last month. One had about 20ml of MEL's Monkey .... (a chocolate cookie) and one with about 15ml of AVE's Boba's Bounty.

I tried them and both were fantastic.

Sadly, neither of these flavors are in production anymore.

Oh, man, how I wish I could find some old bottles of their Jamocha Haze. They seem to have gone very heavily into the fruit flavors over the last year or so. They're great fruit flavors, but I miss the old stuff. At least their tobacco line is still excellent. I finally tried Grey Matter and it's really weird though. Almost like a clove cigarette but not really. Reminds me of Thanksgiving spices. But I am loving Pirate's Bounty. Spiced rum tobacco flavor.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Oh, man, how I wish I could find some old bottles of their Jamocha Haze. They seem to have gone very heavily into the fruit flavors over the last year or so. They're great fruit flavors, but I miss the old stuff. At least their tobacco line is still excellent. I finally tried Grey Matter and it's really weird though. Almost like a clove cigarette but not really. Reminds me of Thanksgiving spices. But I am loving Pirate's Bounty. Spiced rum tobacco flavor.
Fruit flavors with sweetener, bakery flavors with sweetener and beverages with sweetener are what sells now. Back in the day, it was always the search for the best RY4 Or American tobacco. I know I have some old bottles of RY4 that never grew on me and I just tossed a bunch of tobacco flavor extract.

I've wasted a little money on hardware experiments. I've wasted a lot on juices that just were never "there." Why is it that you have to try three before you find the one?

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Fruit flavors with sweetener, bakery flavors with sweetener and beverages with sweetener are what sells now. Back in the day, it was always the search for the best RY4 Or American tobacco. I know I have some old bottles of RY4 that never grew on me and I just tossed a bunch of tobacco flavor extract.

I've wasted a little money on hardware experiments. I've wasted a lot on juices that just were never "there." Why is it that you have to try three before you find the one?

Dang. You've got that nailed. That's exactly what I am seeing. I am also having a hard time finding decent MTL juices, at the higher PG levels and higher nic%. I just finished an e-mail fight today with a supplier that pretty much gave me a nic base that reeked of fingernail polish remover instead of a pre steeped extra flavored tobacco juice that I paid for. I did end up getting a full refund but it took two weeks. The sad thing is that their higher Wattage juices are decent and priced very well, but I'm annoyed with them now and I have plenty of that on hand. Way too many suppliers have it at great prices. I keep going back to MEL for MTL because I know what I'm going to get.

BorneoBro

Aug 9, 2017
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO!! considering all of your advices , i think im just gonna vape this 1st edition VGOD juice 120ml Dewbie . if i die vaping on this after , you guys will know hahahahhahahahaa.

Attachments

• c3959a63-d637-4718-961d-d3aa95c7a6b8.jpg
    c3959a63-d637-4718-961d-d3aa95c7a6b8.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 23

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Dang. You've got that nailed. That's exactly what I am seeing. I am also having a hard time finding decent MTL juices, at the higher PG levels and higher nic%. I just finished an e-mail fight today with a supplier that pretty much gave me a nic base that reeked of fingernail polish remover instead of a pre steeped extra flavored tobacco juice that I paid for. I did end up getting a full refund but it took two weeks. The sad thing is that their higher Wattage juices are decent and priced very well, but I'm annoyed with them now and I have plenty of that on hand. Way too many suppliers have it at great prices. I keep going back to MEL for MTL because I know what I'm going to get.
You tried heathers heavenly vapes? Their juices are some of the best I have found, you have pg/vg options and nic percentages to 36.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: listopencil

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
You tried heathers heavenly vapes? Their juices are some of the best I have found, you have pg/vg options and nic percentages to 36.

I just looked and The Sauce LA (as well as Dollar Ejuice Club) gives me a better deal on high VG/low nic and MEL give me a better deal on low VG/high nic. I mean enough of a better deal that I'd be paying 25% to 100% more on juice not even factoring in the regular sales that Sauce and MEL do.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
No, I haven't, thanks. I will check them out.
My current favs from them are dragons fire, mocha java smooth, sludge, and peach tobacco. To me, most vendors juices are all very similar to other vendors juices, but with different names, but heathers juices are just different and seem one of a kind...

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
My current favs from them are dragons fire, mocha java smooth, sludge, and peach tobacco. To me, most vendors juices are all very similar to other vendors juices, but with different names, but heathers juices are just different and seem one of a kind...

Sure. If you have a flavor or flavors that do it for you then I can understand paying those prices. I've been vaping MEL's liquids for years. Something about their tobacco line really does it for me, and their flavors are strong enough that I can dilute them with VG and still get a nice vape. The other two I have used recently for the higher VG stuff have the stereotypical flavors and they do a really good job of it. The Sauce LA stuff: The strawberry lemonade actually smells like fresh picked strawberries. The banana cream is perfect. The specialty sweet coffee blend is incredible. The aroma and taste for the price is such a good deal that I can't really pass it up. And I can pick up differences in the flavors really well depending on how much power I'm supplying to the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread