Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
How to make a matched pair of perfect spaced coils the easy way. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before.

Take two strands of whatever wire you are using.

Line them up in parallel.

Wrap both around a mandrel side by side as if making a contact coil with them. Keep the wraps tight and don't allow the wires to twist or overlap each other. If you are doing this by hand, holding the ends with a forcep or tweezer is best.

Straighten the legs and make sure they are not overlapping (cut them as short as possible after doing the wraps so they do not overlap or "tangle" with each other.

While the coils are still on the mandrel, carefully grab the "upper" leg of the pair and "unscrew" it from its mate, right off the mandrel. As long as the legs are not tangled, it will unscrew from its mate just as if it were a bolt on a screw.

You now have two perfectly identical, perfectly spaced coils. Eureka lol. :)

If you are making a single coil build, throw the other coil away lol.

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
image.jpg
image.jpg
Truth. It is the perfect method & how I've been doing it! That's 24g spaced with 24g duals on a dark horse (very old & used dark horse). You can even go triple parallel or more for different spacing variations!
Edit: as for staggered claptons & staggered/fused claptons, it's the same method yet you definitely don't want your wraps to overlap...
image.jpg
PITA to make with just the Clapton in the center, I had to do the wraps by hand because the side strands would start to spin and stick together to form a suture style coil like this fail:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread