Hundreds of vapers protest at PA State Capitol against 40% tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
On Monday, hundreds (including Smokefree Pennsylvania’s Godshall) protested in PA State Capitol opposing 40% vapor tax, urged enactment of HB 2342 to tax e-liquid at $.05/ml
Pennsylvania: vapers make some noise in the capitol - Vaping360
Pennsylvanians Against Vape Tax Public Group | Facebook

The American Vaping Association | Facebook

vaping industry protests 40% tax with rally at Capitol (PA
Vaping industry protests 40% tax with rally at Capitol

PA vape shop owners protest 40% tax on vapor products
Pennsylvania Vape Shop Owners Protest 40% Tax Increase On Vapor Products | VAPE Magazine

CASAA urges PA vapers to tell legislators to change 40% vapor tax to $.05/ml of e-liquid, enact HB 2342
http://cqrcengage.com/casaa/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=247073

PA House Finance Cmte approves bill HB 2342 (on day after protest rally in Capitol) to change vapor tax from 40% to $.05/ml of e-liquid
Bill Information - House Bill 2342; Regular Session 2015-2016
Regular Session 2015-2016 House Bill 2342 P.N. 3860

We now need to urge all PA Reps to approve HB 2342 (and we'll still need to get Senate approval).

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
On Monday, hundreds (including Smokefree Pennsylvania’s Godshall) protested in PA State Capitol opposing 40% vapor tax, urged enactment of HB 2342 to tax e-liquid at $.05/ml
Pennsylvania: vapers make some noise in the capitol - Vaping360
Pennsylvanians Against Vape Tax Public Group | Facebook

The American Vaping Association | Facebook

Vaping industry protests 40% tax with rally at Capitol (PA
Vaping industry protests 40% tax with rally at Capitol

PA vape shop owners protest 40% tax on vapor products
Pennsylvania Vape Shop Owners Protest 40% Tax Increase On Vapor Products | VAPE Magazine

CASAA urges PA vapers to tell legislators to change 40% vapor tax to $.05/ml of e-liquid, enact HB 2342
http://cqrcengage.com/casaa/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=247073

PA House Finance Cmte approves bill HB 2342 (on day after protest rally in Capitol) to change vapor tax from 40% to $.05/ml of e-liquid
Bill Information - House Bill 2342; Regular Session 2015-2016
Regular Session 2015-2016 House Bill 2342 P.N. 3860

We now need to urge all PA Reps to approve HB 2342 (and we'll still need to get Senate approval).

A 40% tax on a $50 bottle of 100mg nic is $20. A 5 cents per ml tax on that same bottle is $50, trivial compared to the cigarettes it replaces. My 10 (may be 20) year stockpile of atomizers, mods and nic cost $650. A 40% tax on everything increases the cost by $260. Or the 5 cent tax on just the nic is $250. My cost to smoke for 10-20 years--$30-60,000. The only thing these taxs do is hurt vape shops and discourage smokers from switching. There is no other rational purpose for this tax. The issue is ethical, not financial.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
The only thing these taxs do is hurt vape shops and discourage smokers from switching.
I think the mainstay of many vape shops is e-liquid because of the high margins. The nickel tax at leasts puts a 30ml bottle within reasonable reach for most people. DIY'ers not so much.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think the mainstay of many vape shops is e-liquid because of the high margins. The nickel tax at leasts puts a 30ml bottle within reasonable reach for most people. DIY'ers not so much.
My understanding is the 40% tax applies to the cost of wholesale purchases, meaning the cost of mixing supplies. My cost of supplies for DIY is 1.2 cents per ML. A 40% tax would raise the cost to 1.68 cents. For a shop mixing in house that would be a trivial expense. The greedy tax collector blundered on that one. A 5 cents per ml tax would collect more money and the retailer could probably absorb all of it so the customer doesn't see a price change. The markups on pre mix tend to be extravagent. The government is jealous. They want their peice of the action. Where the 40% tax hurts is hardware. If the shops are totally uncompetetive on hardware they probably can't stay in business even if they have a good juice trade.

What the tax collectors want to do is make vapers replace the cigarette tax. That won't happen and trying will create problems. Good bye cigarette tax, good bye........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread