• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Lovely.

Guess where I am? Yep. Between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine. It's :censored: nasty outside and the ocean looks angry!
That explains then our weather here today and for the next several. A lot of rain and wind :(. I'm about an hour south of Jax.

On another note, you and @Flowersoul and @clnire we all live within 2 hours or less of each other. We should meet!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
On another note, you and @Flowersoul and @clnire we all live within 2 hours or less of each other. We should meet!
I'm only here part time...

And my cable internet went down. Using the portable hotspot on my phone..

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Oh, that is sad! We're in NE Florida about an hour South of Jax also, and I worry about the folks in downtown Jax and St. Augustine.....downtown S/Augustine gets hit so hard. My son lives near World Golf Village, and he is not affected, thank God!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm about 3 miles south of the metropolis of Marineland. Last night was "interesting" here at the beach. I've only been during conditions like this once before, but that was about 6 years ago, well before Matthew trashed the original dune line, and the ocean coming into the neighborhood was less of a concern.

Things have calmed down a bit now, and our new dune line held the ocean back on our street, but our street is still flooded with 6" or so of water just to the west of my place. Not sure whether it's all due to torrential rain we had, or whether the ocean came into the neighborhood at some gaps where ocean-front owners have not bothered to build a new dune line.

Pic taken just a short time ago from the end of my driveway, looking west:
8ObWMdL.jpg

Angry ocean, just shortly before low tide:
6jwzDIc.jpg

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
As usual it's not the wealthy who have the biggest issues in re-building in the Keys. It's the service workers who barely live from paycheck to paycheck. The situation seems to be very dire.

In the Keys, workers already struggled to find affordable housing. Then Irma hit.
No kidding, Bea. I feel like I'm suffering greatly when our power is off a few minutes and I have to reset the clocks. I'm simply not able to imagine what so many are going through after Irma.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I know. As I was finishing reading these stories on the online newspaper my wifi stopped working AGAIN and I was about to get irritated when I thought to myself "at least I'm sitting in my air conditioned living room in my undamaged house and my power and cable work."

BTW my wifi problem appears to be related to Irma. An ATT tech is coming tomorrow morning to work on it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
We had a 2 hour power outtage from 5-7am and I wonder if the aftermath of Irma is still having residual problems.
There's definitely some stuff that was just patched up temporarily. Two houses across the street from me still have temporary service cables laying in their yards.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
My FL National Guard Sgt 1st Class son is in Key West. Pictures not good, but supplies are coming in. Sigh.
I'm glad to hear they're getting help. I just wonder what will happen to all the service and blue collar workers who support every industry in the Keys. According to the FL Keys News (link above) these people who have lost their homes, most of them trailors, are unable to replace them. They live paycheck to paycheck. For many there is no paycheck coming in right now because wherever they worked are not operational yet. It seems to be a dire situation.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
The ATT tech who came to fix our cable/internet said that he was pretty sure our issues are due to Irma. They are finding cables and lines all over the place that didn't break outright but got damaged by wind and/or branches falling on them and now a couple of weeks out they're getting lots of complaints like ours.

Speaking of Irma did you all notice that it hit us on 9/11. Eerie :cry:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I'm glad to hear they're getting help. I just wonder what will happen to all the service and blue collar workers who support every industry in the Keys. According to the FL Keys News (link above) these people who have lost their homes, most of them trailors, are unable to replace them. They live paycheck to paycheck. For many there is no paycheck coming in right now because wherever they worked are not operational yet. It seems to be a dire situation.
Unemployment, & FEMA, some Red Cross (don't get me started) & other things came thru here. Most of the people you are worried about did not own their homes.
Bea, storms have been hitting forever. This is your first experience with hurricane aftermath. But this is what happens to one degree or another everytime. Stop worrying. Floridians know what to do, & they'll do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
Unemployment, & FEMA, some Red Cross (don't get me started) & other things came thru here. Most of the people you are worried about did not own their homes.
Bea, storms have been hitting forever. This is your first experience with hurricane aftermath. But this is what happens to one degree or another everytime. Stop worrying. Floridians know what to do, & they'll do it.

Please never tell another to stop worrying especially for this great a concern. Bea's worry is WORTHY of admiring here. Care, Kindness, and LOVE is what we ALL need ALWAYS
wub_zpsira9qq8f.gif

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Please never tell another to stop worrying especially for this great a concern. Bea's worry is WORTHY of admiring here. Care, Kindness, and LOVE is what we ALL need ALWAYS
wub_zpsira9qq8f.gif
Thank you ❤️

This may be my first real live hurricane but I've been following their aftermaths for years…and the dire straights so many people are in afterwards. Floridians may KNOW what to do but that doesn't mean they are ABLE to do it.

And of course I worry when so many people have lost their homes, their jobs (because they're so damaged too) and have no way to get back on their feet.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
In the greatest adversities and tragedies, we as a nation and as humans come together to help our fellow man. Even though we aren't on the front lines helping physically, we donate our money and items to help those that have lost so much. Electric companies from around the nation have traveled to distant places to help get power restored.

We do persevere through these trying times. The lives that are lost are the ones I mourn.

We that survive do get back up and continue in time. It does take time.

There will be more tragedies, man made or weather related. Each one brings more knowledge on how to proceed in a different way to try to minimize human loss.

There is a stubbornness in our soul to keep on going. And we do.

:nun:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread