I admit it, I'm a spoiled rotten Princess; however, I am also aware of how blessed I am and truly grateful

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Ah yes. We were young then. I thought it was so cool you were in band...

pjrd.jpg

Oh Your Highness, that is priceless.

Tapped out

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Tim's out of the minis right now and he's not taking custom orders either. :( Guess I'm going to have to wait and stalk his site. Did you nab all the mini sleeves up?

I love the sleeves. I stopped wrapping the minis, since the sleeves are too tight for a wrapped mod to go in. I keep them in the sleeve all the time, which is why the full size seemed small to me. The sleeve adds about .75" to the height and they are pretty thick too. I have an extra brown one I got when I thought Tim was only putting blems up and wouldn't be making anymore. I have sleeves coming for the 3 new guys. I like how the leather gets warm when I hold it and it feels weird now holding something metal.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Look what I picked up today....

image.jpg

That's right..a carto tank! The vape shop I went to filled it for me. 2.0 ohm, think I'd like to try 3.0 cuz, according, to what they said, I could get a warmer vape, this vape was still too cool but the flavor was way better than the tanks I bought.

This tank system isn't the best like an IBtanked and this cart actually is a dual coil (that's all they had left beyond a non flange) but I could at least play with it and understand how this all works and if I'd like it. I like it!

So I had help w/a buying list for IBtanked (someone very kind on here helped me!!!!) and will be shopping soon at IBtanked.

I do know Boge has 3.0 prepunched w/flange, but has anyone used (or maybe it's standard) that oblong looking hole? It looks bigger than the teeny hole and maybe provide more flavor? Not sure

Thx for all the tip guys and I feel so much better that I have this great mod and now finally a juice system to put on it. I was getting very worried. I hate to say my clearos for the Triton still produce a crap load of warm, flavored vape but I believe I can get the carto tanks there if I can get the vape warmer. ;)

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Look what I picked up today....

View attachment 267578

That's right..a carto tank! The vape shop I went to filled it for me. 2.0 ohm, think I'd like to try 3.0 cuz, according, to what they said, I could get a warmer vape, this vape was still too cool but the flavor was way better than the tanks I bought.

This tank system isn't the best like an IBtanked and this cart actually is a dual coil (that's all they had left beyond a non flange) but I could at least play with it and understand how this all works and if I'd like it. I like it!

So I had help w/a buying list for IBtanked (someone very kind on here helped me!!!!) and will be shopping soon at IBtanked.

I do know Boge has 3.0 prepunched w/flange, but has anyone used (or maybe it's standard) that oblong looking hole? It looks bigger than the teeny hole and maybe provide more flavor? Not sure

Thx for all the tip guys and I feel so much better that I have this great mod and now finally a juice system to put on it. I was getting very worried. I hate to say my clearos for the Triton still produce a crap load of warm, flavored vape but I believe I can get the carto tanks there if I can get the vape warmer. ;)

Pretty tank!

The oblong hole won't provide you with more flavor, unless wicking is a problem. A bigger hole (or more holes in number) will help thicker juice (higher vg) to wick better into the filler matieral, but the "flavor" is determined by the juice vaporizing.

Someone using 100% vg that isn't wicking properly could get more flavor with bigger/more holes, since there might not be enough juice getting to the coil. However, in cases like mine where the juice is thin (70%pg/30%vg) bigger holes (or more holes) will just cause the filler to get saturated faster than the coil can vaporize it. If I were to turn the power up to make the coil hotter to deal with the extra juice coming in, it might taste burnt. but if I don't turn it up, the carto could flood or I could get juice in my mouth from it "spitting" (that's popping from hot juice not having enough time to vaporize. It isn't the the same as the "snap, crackle, pop" sound cartos make when they are vaporing properly. You will soon know the difference). Are you following me?

They said 3.0 ohms will give you a warmer vape than 2.0 ohms? They are from freaking Mars. Let's go back to temperature. It is the temperature that determines the heat of the coil. Warmer coil, warmer vape. Being able to vary the power level is what VV and VW are all about. Sorry kiddo, we have to do Ohm's Law now.

Watts are a measurement of power produced (output). In the vaping world the type of power we want produced is heat.
Volts are a measurement of input. That is what comes out of the battery to push the current along.
Current is measured in amps. We are going to ignore this one for now. Forget it immediately, it will just confuse the point I'm making.
Ohms are a measurement of resistance. It impedes (restricts) what the voltage is pushing along.

If I shoved you, it is your resistance (planting your feet, holding your ground, pushing back into the pressure, whatever) that would keep you from falling on your face.

Think of a garden hose. If you turn it on high it will spray all over the place, but if you grab it and put a kink in it (add resistance) you can control how much water is coming out. In this case:

How high you turn on the hose = volts
The kink (resistance) = Ohms
The amount of water coming out = watts
(The current is the water itself. I told you it's not important at this point.)
It is the interaction of volts and resistance that determine how many watts are produced - how much heat in the vaping world.

Are you still with me?

I am currently working on a coloring book of Ohms' Law called "Power With Kitties!" This is Psycho Kitty, he is resistance:

aqq.gif

Back to your Martians.

The calculation for determining watts is: voltage x voltage ÷ resistance = watts

Set your ProVari at 4 volts with a 2.0 ohm carto
4 x 4 ÷ 2 = 8
You have just produced 8 watts

Set your ProVari at 4 volts with a 3.0 ohm carto
4 x 4 ÷ 3 = 5.33

1) You have just produced 5.33 watts.
2) 5.33 watts is significantly lower than 8 watts, resulting in a cooler vape.
3) The Martians are idiots.

To get a warmer vape, you will have to raise the power (the voltage setting on the ProVari) or lower the resistance (get a lower resistance carto). Cartos come in 1.7 ohms, try that instead of 3.0 ohms.

rawr
cheetah_icon_by_topazdragon19-d35u537.gif

Just so you know, I did not pass algebra in high school.

Last edited:

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Thanks! I didn't think it sounded right, but hell, they owned the shop which ya I know, doesn't mean much. But they were nice and very helpful for the most part. What if I used a LR atty? I would think that could give me a warmer vape, no? May drain the battery faster, but damn! If I can get the warmer vape with more flavor, I'll buy cases of batteries if I have to.

And a colored kitty, OHM Law explanation actually could work wonders for peeps like me. Or maybe meds that would help me RETAIN crap! I read, understand then the next bright, shiny object comes along and I've forgotten the first stuff.

But I must say I'm GEEKED as hell because I never thought carto tanks would do it for me. With the right atty and the IBtanked set up, I believe this will work. Maybe I can buy a tiny space heater and attached it to the drip tip to get my warm vape!!

Wonder if IBtanked halfling would warm up more? So many possibilities now, I hope. I have my IBtanked shopping list written out ;) and ready to go!

EDIT-I may get a couple of those oblong holes because one of my fav juices is Gorilla Juice, 100% VG

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks! I didn't think it sounded right, but hell, they owned the shop which ya I know, doesn't mean much. But they were nice and very helpful for the most part. What if I used a LR atty? I would think that could give me a warmer vape, no? May drain the battery faster, but damn! If I can get the warmer vape with more flavor, I'll buy cases of batteries if I have to.

1) No one has to pass a test to open a vape shop. Do you think the clerks there make more (or much more) than minimum wage?
2) Don't worry about draining your batteries. That caution gets thrown around a lot, but at the levels we are vaping I seriously doubt you will notice a difference.
3) The 1.7 ohm carto I suggested is LR.
4) We are talking about cartos, not attys. Technically, anything with a heating coil in it is an atomizer, but in the vaping world we make a distinction between a carto and an atty. A carto is a tube with filler material which is put into a carto tank (or used without a hole or tank by some people). An atty, as we call it, does not have filler and is not used in a carto tank.
5) RBA/RDAs are not used in carto tanks and are a different type of device altogether.

Wonder if IBtanked halfling would warm up more? So many possibilities now, I hope. I have my IBtanked shopping list written out ;) and ready to go!

EDIT-I may get a couple of those oblong holes because one of my fav juices is Gorilla Juice, 100% VG

Theoretically, I guess the halfling would warm up faster because there is less juice in the tank, but that wouldn't impact the temperature of the vape itself. It is the temperature of the wire/coil/heating element that is important.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A low resistance carto will produce a warmer vape. Provape recommends a 3.0 ohm carto if I'm not mistaken, but the beauty of variable voltage is that you can adjust the voltage higher for a warmer vape no matter what ohm you use. So AngieBe, have you jumped up the voltage on your 3.0 ohm carto? You should be able to use 5 volts for a good starting spot.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
You ARE the PROVARI PRINCESS Bless you, bless you :nun::nun:

Rock on! I will be buying the LR 1.7 cartomizer, pre punched of course. I bet these will do this whole set up right for me! And as far as the halflings, I may get at least one. I rotate daily 5-6 flavors but have 10-12 loaded to switch around. Buying like 10-12 tanks is going to be one expensive purchase w/IBtanked.

Son of a \>|€{>|%|] I'm gonna go broke!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
A low resistance carto will produce a warmer vape. Provape recommends a 3.0 ohm carto if I'm not mistaken, but the beauty of variable voltage is that you can adjust the voltage higher for a warmer vape no matter what ohm you use. So AngieBe, have you jumped up the voltage on your 3.0 ohm carto? You should be able to use 5 volts for a good starting spot.

She doesn't have a 3.0Ω yet, just a 2.0Ω. In any case, you're right, she does need to try turning up the power.

ProVape does suggest 3.0Ω resistance. I'm sure it's because at that resistance there is a broader range of power levels to try, with less battery drain (which I still don't think is very important at the levels we are vaping).

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN

I remember reading something about this but searched and couldn't find it again the recommendation. I do know ProVape sells LR cartomizer so I figured it was ok to use LR if they are selling them, I could be wrong.

I will try cranking up the volts even more, I was just worried Id fry the cartomizer out and I only bought two so I could test it all out and then buy better set ups w/IBtanked. I was around 4.8-4.9 volts testing it out, but will try higher.

If I used LR carts on the ProVari, I won't fry the mod would I? Now that would be a bad day! I guess I'm just kinda shocked more people don't like a warm vape, especially when nasty winter is around the corner. Or maybe it's the fact I'm a recent cig quitter and still craving that warm smoking sensation? I just think the experience and juice tastes better when it's warm.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I remember reading something about this but searched and couldn't find it again the recommendation. I do know ProVape sells LR cartomizer so I figured it was ok to use LR if they are selling them, I could be wrong.

I will try cranking up the volts even more, I was just worried Id fry the cartomizer out and I only bought two so I could test it all out and then buy better set ups w/IBtanked. I was around 4.8-4.9 volts testing it out, but will try higher.

If I used LR carts on the ProVari, I won't fry the mod would I? Now that would be a bad day! I guess I'm just kinda shocked more people don't like a warm vape, especially when nasty winter is around the corner. Or maybe it's the fact I'm a recent cig quitter and still craving that warm smoking sensation? I just think the experience and juice tastes better when it's warm.

You won't fry the carto. It will taste burnt (or yucky) long before any damage is done, unless you deliberately try to fry it, but in that case the ProVari will likely bust you. It won't fire. It will throw an error code if the you've set the voltage too high out of line with the resistance.

I'm sorry AngiBe, you can't vape that.

The same thing will happen if you try using too low of a resistance. It will refuse to fire. One of the reasons we like the ProVari is the built in protection. One of the selling points could be: ProVari, we won't let you be stupid.

Now that you are getting a glass carto tank from IBTanked, have you considered a cinnamon flavor? I don't like cinnamon candy in real life, but when I first started vaping it was one of the few flavors I really liked. There are some out there that are not for the faint hearted when it comes to heat.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

You wouldn't fry the mod, the Provari would just refuse to fire it (protective circuitry).

This is what happened with Grimm Green when he was reviewing the Provari. He wasn't familiar with it, and was trying to use a real low resistance atty at 6 volts and it refused to fire it. He must have spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. Bonehead! :facepalm: That's 10 minutes that I'll never get back.

(The Provari has a 3.5 amp limit. Firing a 1.5 ohm coil with 6 volts is 4 amps.)

Last edited:

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
You won't fry the carto. It will taste burnt (or yucky) long before any damage is done, unless you deliberately try to fry it, but in that case the ProVari will likely bust you. It will throw an error code if the you've set the voltage too high out of line with the resistance.

I'm sorry AngiBe, you can't vape that.

You also can't hurt it by using too low of a resistance. It will refuse to fire. One of the reasons we like the ProVari is for the built in protection. One of the selling points could be: ProVari, we would let you be stupid.

Now that you are getting a glass carto tank from IBTanked, have you considered a cinnamon flavor? I don't like cinnamon candy in real life, but when I first started vaping it was one of the few flavors I really liked. There are some out there that are not for the faint hearted when it comes to heat.

I'm not big on cinnamon but I have Voodoo in the tank now which has a hint if cinnamon. I did crank it to 5.4 it was a lot warmer. Good to know I bought an idiot proof mod, because, well, I would be the one to do a complete dumba$$ move in fry a mod..trust me.
You wouldn't fry the mod, the Provari would just refuse to fire it (protective circuitry).

This is what happened with Grimm Green when he was reviewing the Provari. He wasn't familiar with it, and was trying to use a real low resistance atty at 6 volts and it refused to fire it. He must have spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. Bonehead! :facepalm: That's 10 minutes that I'll never get back.

LMAO! Well, I'm my short experience, I have had way more help/smarter people help me HERE than nearly all vape shops and most vids. And vape shops always say "sounds like your reading on the Internet and chat forums too much" and proceed to tell me why all the info I was told is wrong?!?!

Hhhmmmm, really Mr 3.0 cartomizer will give me a warmer vape? WTH? No wonder a lot of newer people are confused if they visit vape shops first.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I'm not big on cinnamon but I have Voodoo in the tank now which has a hint if cinnamon. I did crank it to 5.4 it was a lot warmer. Good to know I bought an idiot proof mod, because, well, I would be the one to do a complete dumba$$ move in fry a mod..trust me.

You actually can't "fry" any of the mods you might use. Even the Vamo won't fire it the setting is out of the safe zone. If you used a mechanical mod incorrectly with the wrong battery, you could fry the battery, which in turn could damage the mod, but should that happen, you are a Martian and deserve it. You are hereby ordered out of the gene pool.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Hence the reason I didn't reproduce and the fact kids are just not my thing. Too needy for my taste. And yes, I see now. I cranked it up to about 5.5 and got the E2 warning. I'm safe, my mod is safe and the carto tank, safe and sound.

And tried to kick it up with ProTank, warmer vape but still blah and IClear 30, still only slightly better so the obvious great set up...carto tanks! Still gonna try a LR atomizer just to test it out.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hence the reason I didn't reproduce and the fact kids are just not my thing. Too needy for my taste. And yes, I see now. I cranked it up to about 5.5 and got the E2 warning. I'm safe, my mod is safe and the carto tank, safe and sound.

And tried to kick it up with ProTank, warmer vape but still blah and IClear 30, still only slightly better so the obvious great set up...carto tanks! Still gonna try a LR atomizer just to test it out.
Now you know why most of us use cartotanks as our primary delivery attachment.

Some people move onto RBA/RDA's, but for me they are too fiddly. Some like to direct drip, but for me that is inconvenient. My cartotanks are my tried and true, dependable and trustworthy, mainstay delivery device.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

At 5.5v 2.0Ω, the ProVari definitely won't fire. That's over 15w. A 1.7Ω atty at roughly 4.0v is about as warm as you will like. That's a tad over 9 watts.

ETA: If that's not warm enough for you, I'll be wondering about how you smoked cigarettes. Did you bypass the tobacco and just inhale the Bic?

Last edited:

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Now you know why most of us use cartotanks as our primary delivery attachment.

Some people move onto RBA/RDA's, but for me they are too fiddly. Some like to direct drip, but for me that is inconvenient. My cartotanks are my tried and true, dependable and trustworthy, mainstay delivery device.

Yep, I get it now. I honestly thought those who suggested it to me were off their rocker. I tried cartomizers and pre-filled cartridges when I first started. But a HUGE difference. I was using a cig a like and I'm sure the cartomizers that came with them were sub par. I only tasted poly fill with those. And I wasn't filling them enough so would get dry hits a lot or if I set them down, they'd just dry out.

Live and learn, oh, and spend a boat load of money along the way to get there. :facepalm: But at least I know the set up I need and just practice to perfect it.

I kno you guys get these stupid questions over and over on here. Thanks to you all for your patience and explaining it so it can be understood. It may take some, UUMM ya like me, multiple explanations of the same material to sink in, but eventually some of us learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread