I am at a loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster725

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
St Louis, MO
4.5 years ago i was smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day. I couldnt breathe, it hurt to yawn, exercise was out of the question, i was overweight, had high blood pressure and was generally on the road to an early death. I was 32 years old. Then i found vaping. My first vape was a bloog 650. It was awesome and i quit cigarettes the same day it came in the mail. After just a few weeks i could breath, yawn and felt 1000% better.
I progressed from the bloog 650 all the way up to a kayfun v4. I watched alot of #PBusardo videos and i always built my kayfun v4 just like him at 1.4ohms. I never did the sub ohm stuff. My favorite liquid was E Pipe Mods Long Bottom leaf Tobacco in 12mg. Its almost a 100% vg liquid. I would go through a a 30ml bottle in roughly 4 days.

After a few years of vaping and feeling great i started exercising. I started out on the treadmill walking. I was 240lbs. I quickly progressed to running and in about 8 months I was running 3 miles per day @ 6mph with a 6 degree incline and was down to 190lbs. I had lost 50lbs, running was making me feel awseome, my heart rate was down to 65 and my blood pressure was perfect at 120/80.

Now the problem... One day 12 hours after i had last ran i started felling funny. Light headed, dizzy, my whole body started to tremble and my heart started going crazy. My heart was jumping around, beating funny, double beats, almost felt like it was starting and stopping. It scared the .... out of me. I never got out of breath and i checked my vitals with a portable BP machine and they remained perfect at 65bpm and 120/80. i couldnt figure out what the hell was going on.
I went to a doctor and told her what was going on, they put me on a holt monitor for 30 days and scheduled an electrocadiogram. The monitor came back normal after 30 days and the ecg only found mild wall thickening, mild calcification of the mitral valve and mild regurgitation. Nothing, according to the doctor, that would cause what i was going through. I stopped vaping for a couple days and my heart mostly went back to normal. When i would vape again i would have the same symptoms. I was convinced at this point the vaping was doing something to the electrical signal of my heart but all the doctor would say was we didnt know enough about vaping. Within 3 months of having my heart looked at my resting pulse shot up to 90 and my bp up to 140/110. I eventually had to quit vaping because i was tired of feeling like my heart was going to fail.
I went straight back to cigarettes, quit running and am back up to 220lbs. Everytime i try to go back to vaping my heart starts jumping around again. My pulse and blood pressure are still high and even when i dont vape my heart doesnt feel like its beating right. I really havent felt a regular normal heartbeat since all this started.

Has anyone else had this happen or know of it happening to someone? I cant find a similar story online anywhere. I really want to go back to vaping but i cant. Thanks for any input.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Have you tried lowering your nicotine mg/ml and experimenting with different pg/vg %'s.

I started in the high 30's nic mg/ml, now use 3 mg/ml, if I were to vape 12 nic mg/ml my heart & BP would freak out too.
I know because I filled a tank with 12mg last week, I didn't look at the label on the bottle until after the symptoms started.

Of course it could be a reaction to a flavoring, vg or pg or your body telling you huge cloudz are not a good idea.
The problem could be in the dosage / amount vaped.

Last edited:

jaster725

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
St Louis, MO
Have you tried lowering your nicotine mg/ml and experimenting with different pg/vg %'s.

I started in the high 30's nic mg/ml, now use 3 mg/ml, if I were to vape 12 nic mg/ml my heart & BP would freak out too.
I know because I filled a tank with 12mg last week, I didn't look at the label on the bottle until after the symptoms started.
i tried going down to 6mg with the same juice i was doing, it lost alot of flavor and still gave me the symptoms. The last thing i tried was unflavored liquid in 12mg and 50/50 thinking that the flavorings or the high vg could be the culprit. That didnt work either...ive been afraid to try anything else so far because the symptoms are really bad. Feels like my heart is going to quit. Im thinking about ordering a 50/50 in 0mg. But im not sure if it will have any flavor or throat hit. I like the tobacco flavors.

jaster725

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
St Louis, MO

Of course it could be a reaction to a flavoring, vg or pg or your body telling you huge cloudz are not a good idea.
The problem could be in the dosage / amount vaped.
also, i vaped 12mg high vg for 3.5 years with 0 problems. i cant understand if i was getting too much nicotene why it would take 3.5 years to cause symptoms?

jaster725

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
St Louis, MO
DID u tried to talk about this with your doctor?!

Send via my Honor 4c using Tapatalk
I went to a doctor and told her what was going on, they put me on a holt monitor for 30 days and scheduled an electrocadiogram. The monitor came back normal after 30 days and the ecg only found mild wall thickening, mild calcification of the mitral valve and mild regurgitation. Nothing, according to the doctor, that would cause what i was going through. I stopped vaping for a couple days and my heart mostly went back to normal. When i would vape again i would have the same symptoms. I was convinced at this point the vaping was doing something to the electrical signal of my heart but all the doctor would say was we didnt know enough about vaping. Within 3 months of having my heart looked at my resting pulse shot up to 90 and my bp up to 140/110. I eventually had to quit vaping because i was tired of feeling like my heart was going to fail.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Some folks just can't vape, it flat doesn't agree with their individual body chemistry. Yes, your body goes through changes sometimes for no reason & at inopportune times.

Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this,,, Doc, well then don't do that.

50/50 0 nic will have limited throat hit, not as much as 6mg or 12mg,
To me, unflavored does have a taste / flavor, similar to a light cig.

Sounds like it is time to use nic gum or patch to quit smoking, as you know smoking will kill ya.
Especially quick if overweight & inactive.

jaster725

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
St Louis, MO
Some folks just can't vape, it flat doesn't agree with their individual body chemistry. Yes, your body goes through changes sometimes for no reason & at inopportune times.

Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this,,, Doc, well then don't do that.

50/50 0 nic will have limited throat hit, not as much as 6mg or 12mg,
To me, unflavored does have a taste / flavor, similar to a light cig.

Sounds like it is time to use nic gum or patch to quit smoking, as you know smoking will kill ya.
Especially quick if overweight & inactive.
thanks. yeah, it sucks. i may have to just accept it. even though i dont want to. its just wierd.

Reactions: Jdurand

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
Symptom sounds like classic nicotine overdose to me. My experience it's similar to yours going from smoking to vaping and then being able to do something athletic for the first time since I was a kid. I'm about 3 years in now. So far no heart spasms.

I would try the tips above first: lower the nic, mouth hits vs. Lung hits. I read somewhere that higher VG gives better Nic delivery so if you use higher VG juice you should step down the nic. You could try different juice brand. Try a flavor which has no tobacco extracts like vanilla.

Also maybe check your diet make sure you're getting enough iron (they stopped putting it in mens multivitamins). I hope you work it out.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Try leaving your lungs out of the equation. 12-18mg nic, mouth to lung like pull (as if you're drawing from a cigarette) and then bypass inhaling: hold it in your mouth for a second or two and then slow exhale it out of your nose. Vaporized nicoting is readily absorbed through mucus membranes, and this may help.

OTHERWISE, I would suggest looking into other forms of nicotine delivery...maybe even vaping nicotine salts (like found in JUUL pods) for arguments sake, though I think that may cause the same reaction.

Have you tried all VG with nicotine? You may have developed a PG sensitivity.

Last edited:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
You may have developed a sensitivity to one of the components. I've seen it happen. It seems your body all of a sudden says "enough" and become hyper-sensitive. I used to work in a paint lab and this happened to one of the guys I worked with. He worked there for years and overnight became hyper-sensitive to the fumes. He can't even pump his own gas. I'd try different combinations of PG/VG/nicotine to see which one triggers it.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 40 year 3 pad smoker. I had something similar but it was in my 2-3 month period. I was doing 24mg on cigalikes. (I repeat, it was not after 4.5 years) Of course I began to lower my nic level. I was also a huge coffee drinker. I read somewhere at the time that your liver changes when you stop smoking. Something about not having to deal with all of the chemicals in cigarette smoke, so it does a better job of processing caffeine. Anyway, now I had to cut back to decaf and halfcaf. Also had to cut back on sugary drinks.

Now, 4+ years later, I'm back to lots of coffee, donuts, cola, and 1.5mg of nicotine. (yeah, like that's healthy)

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

jaster725

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
St Louis, MO
Update, im pretty sure i ran too much. I stressed my heart too much which caused arrythmias. I had to get on lisinopril for high blood pressure. That lowered my BP and stopped the arrythmias. Ive been vaping again for 4 days with no symptoms. Hopefully it lasts. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Wow - that's good news. So your symptoms look like they were triggered by you literally running yourself ragged? Well, at least you know what's going on now.

I would still look at trying to reduce the nicotine in your vape - going from 12mg to 6mg shouldn't make the flavour any less - might impact the throat hit a bit, but you can kind of make up for that by using a bit more PG.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Update, im pretty sure i ran too much. I stressed my heart too much which caused arrythmias. I had to get on lisinopril for high blood pressure. That lowered my BP and stopped the arrythmias. Ive been vaping again for 4 days with no symptoms. Hopefully it lasts. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Happy to hear you got a handle on it, hope it lasts.
Don't think there is any rhyme or reason behind the after-effects ex-smokers experience, or not, everyone is affected differently.
Smoked for 55yrs and quit with vaping Aug2013. Nov2013 got chilblains on the hands for first time ever and had them each winter since. Still wouldn't go back to the coffin nails though !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread