I am [ ] close......

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
Microcoils in the protanks make the baby Jesus smile.

Haven't tried it yet, but even the regular coil I built with cotton was pretty darn good. Every time I think I've found "the right thing", there's always something better around the corner. I've finally admitted to myself that this has become a hobby.

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
Define "microcoils"?

It's basically wrapping a coil very small with all the loops touching. this allows for a higher resistance that produces similar vapor production of a sub-ohm coil (so it can be used on regulated devices). I actually prefer the performance over sub-ohm stuff. if you do a search for microcoil, you'll find a lot of discussion on ECF.

10 wrap microcoil ProTank.jpg

Last edited:

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
I bought some 2mm Silica wick a week or 2 on my last DV purchase, now I need to get some wire (32g, 30g??); and finally try re-building coils myself!! I've already watched the GrimmGreen video on it.. seems simple enough!! :D

These 'micro-coils' you speak of also sound intriguing to me, I've also been wanting to get into RBA's and such and sub-ohm coils, but I only have am eVic (so I know that's not possible)
.... I need to stop stalling and start rebuilding my own protank coils for myself!!!

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
microcoils aren't sub-ohm. the one I've posted pics of is 1.8Ω. easy to go higher too. I use 30ga. I hate 32... too flimsy for me to fiddle with. I also don't like 28ga on the ProTank, because you have to wrap a lot more into a tiny space.

I may do a step by step photo guide for how I rebuild mine... I'm loving the results

Signal30

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Southwest Ohio
The factory coils are wrapped 6 times. They wrap it 3 wraps tight with a gap and then another three tight wraps. I didn't do the gap, but I got them as tight as possible. It's the same gauge as the factory coil. I also didn't put that second unwrapped wick on top of it.

I build 1:72 scale WW2 models, so I have many tools meant for working on tiny parts which makes building tanks a bit easier.

Signal30

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Southwest Ohio
The one thing I noticed that made it a lot easier is to wait to trim off both ends of the coil. The two videos I saw they both cut the first coil end then insirted the gromit. Doing it that way makes it very easy for the cut end to pop out when threading the gromit through the second end of the coil. The uncut first end you can give it a pull to keept it secure while fitting in the second end. Then after putting in the pin into the gromit, you can trim both ends nice and short.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
The one thing I noticed that made it a lot easier is to wait to trim off both ends of the coil. The two videos I saw they both cut the first coil end then insirted the gromit. Doing it that way makes it very easy for the cut end to pop out when threading the gromit through the second end of the coil. The uncut first end you can give it a pull to keept it secure while fitting in the second end. Then after putting in the pin into the gromit, you can trim both ends nice and short.

Yep! So, did you get some working coils now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread