I am hoping that Marlboro IQOS gets MRTP status from FDA because my country banned vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack1010

Jun 24, 2015
I am reposting here because it seems to have more traffic for discussions.

Singapore is pretty strict on this because the govt only cares about taxes and money. No health care subsidies here so the govt does earn lesser if all smokers become healthy after switching to vape.

Only way now is for Marlboro iqos to get FDA MRTP approval so that the silly govt here will start allowing smokeless products like iqos. Smokeless products are currently also banned here but if products like IQOS are being used and sold by lots of people from other countries. In Singapore where tourism money counts and if they start confiscating IQOS products from tourists visiting Singapore. Many of them will not be happy and start boycotting visiting trips. And IQOS are also taxable so I think the greedy govt here may well approved them.

The funny thing is Singapore being one of the 2 phillip morris global R&D center and an engineer friend of mine told me that the IQOS is actually designed by venture contract manufacturing in Singapore. If the IQOS does reduced harm. I do not mind paying taxes to the govt.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Same problems here in Thailand. All vaping products have gone underground/ black market. They are widely available at very high prices. The government has imposed a 5 year jail term for import or use of vaping products although so far only supported to resellers. It is all about tax revenue. They want to preserve the tobacco tax on legal cigarettes. I see no change as they show no desire to revisit this.

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
The Iqos has just rolled out in Spain ! I was pricing it in the Tobacco shop today the device retails here for €70 and the Heet Sticks are €4.85 for a pack of 20 ! So pretty much the same price as Cigs over here !
I,m pretty sure that PMI will roll these out worldwide in the current year,they seem to have taken off big time in Countries like Italy and Japan !

jack1010

Jun 24, 2015
Same problems here in Thailand. All vaping products have gone underground/ black market. They are widely available at very high prices. The government has imposed a 5 year jail term for import or use of vaping products although so far only supported to resellers. It is all about tax revenue. They want to preserve the tobacco tax on legal cigarettes. I see no change as they show no desire to revisit this.

Seriously 5 years? I've been to bangkok but the cigg prices are not that expensive. So IQOS could be a good choice for those govt that are dead on to opposing vape.

jack1010

Jun 24, 2015
The Iqos has just rolled out in Spain ! I was pricing it in the Tobacco shop today the device retails here for €70 and the Heet Sticks are €4.85 for a pack of 20 ! So pretty much the same price as Cigs over here !
I,m pretty sure that PMI will roll these out worldwide in the current year,they seem to have taken off big time in Countries like Italy and Japan !

That is why I think most govt who are opposing vape are not likely to oppose iqos because they still provide all the tax money. And if most of the countries starts selling and legalizing. It makes no sense for a country like singapore who depended heavily on tourist money to ban IQOS. Tourists will be ...... to find their sets confiscated at the airport. And philip morris can easily pull out their R&D center from singapore. singapore govt are always fearful of rich corporations.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Seriously 5 years? I've been to bangkok but the cigg prices are not that expensive. So IQOS could be a good choice for those govt that are dead on to opposing vape.
Yes 5 years in jail.....no joke. So far they have not used this law to jail individual users although they could. The police here are happy to extract extreme fines of up to $1500 usd from users if they are caught. That translates to about 50K Baht in local currency. You can imagine into who's pocket this fine goes.

jack1010

Jun 24, 2015
Yes 5 years in jail.....no joke. So far they have not used this law to jail individual users although they could. The police here are happy to extract extreme fines of up to $1500 usd from users if they are caught. That translates to about 50K Baht in local currency. You can imagine into who's pocket this fine goes.

I've been to southern thailand and I do believe that people there are having access to firearms but without much implications from the law. 5 years for vape sounds extreme.

Jorge22

ECF Veteran
I was going to comment but, honestly..................... That's fascism and corruption, not as a general term, but fascism and corruption indeed. Law makers in your countries should go to jail for crimes against humanity (public health) not to mention, yes, fascism and corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread