Status
Not open for further replies.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
I've been vaping for about 3 years. For the bulk of that time, I used ego tanks like the Kanger Genitank and EMOW. I thought that those were very user friendly; but paled in perfomance to sub ohm setups. Last year, I got an iPV D2 with a Herakles Hydra tank. I only used it for a month or so then I found out I was pregnant so I stopped vaping. But I was never able to open that tank to change the coil. That was in early 2016.

I've since had my baby and I'm back to vaping. Since I couldn't open the Herakles tank to change the yucky coil and cotton, I brought a new tank....a Tobeco Mini Tank. The sales guy in the brick and mortar store made the assembly look so easy. It also came with an allen key. So I brought it. Of course I get it home....can't open the tank for the life of me, even with the allen key!

So what gives? Are all of these sub ohm tanks impossible to open? I would be willing to buy a third tank if it is more user friendly than these ones are.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
Gotta be careful when you're putting a tank together. Finger tight only, else you get this problem.

I've heard a few different tricks to loosed a really tight tank. Some say to cut a mouse pad into chunks to use, some use the small rubber mats used for opening jars. I just use paper towels. Just don't use pliers! Lol.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I've been vaping for about 3 years. For the bulk of that time, I used ego tanks like the Kanger Genitank and EMOW. I thought that those were very user friendly; but paled in perfomance to sub ohm setups. Last year, I got an iPV D2 with a Herakles Hydra tank. I only used it for a month or so then I found out I was pregnant so I stopped vaping. But I was never able to open that tank to change the coil. That was in early 2016.

I've since had my baby and I'm back to vaping. Since I couldn't open the Herakles tank to change the yucky coil and cotton, I brought a new tank....a Tobeco Mini Tank. The sales guy in the brick and mortar store made the assembly look so easy. It also came with an allen key. So I brought it. Of course I get it home....can't open the tank for the life of me, even with the allen key!

So what gives? Are all of these sub ohm tanks impossible to open? I would be willing to buy a third tank if it is more user friendly than these ones are.
Is it a super tank mini? Start at the top and work down.
:)

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i'm tiny, only a hair above 5', not even 5'1"... so i have really small hands... a few things are your friends, damp cloth, freezer, and hot water... there are also these
4252700-3.jpg
for 22mm and smaller tanks you fit the tank in the round part and squeeze. hubby learned the hard way you do NOT use pliers on glass tanks, i was not impressed, especially since it was new replacement glass he broke.

or if you like to subohm? get a beast tank and the RBA, i know i love my beasts, great flavour and clouds... no allen keys required, just unscrew the glass.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
i'm tiny, only a hair above 5', not even 5'1"... so i have really small hands... a few things are your friends, damp cloth, freezer, and hot water... there are also these
4252700-3.jpg
for 22mm and smaller tanks you fit the tank in the round part and squeeze. hubby learned the hard way you do NOT use pliers on glass tanks, i was not impressed, especially since it was new replacement glass he broke.

or if you like to subohm? get a beast tank and the RBA, i know i love my beasts, great flavour and clouds... no allen keys required, just unscrew the glass.

That looks great! What is that contraption called? Surely they sell it on Amazon! :D

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
yeah umm... unless you spend almost 3 hours driving there and back to get a replacement glass for a tank... and after placing the glass on for all of 5 mins, the mechanic you married tightens everything too tight so you can't get the top off to fill newly repaired tank... and grabs tools and uses it on newly replaced glass lmao. *CRACK* "you broke the glass didn't you"... "yes..." hehehehehe

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
You do not grab the glass you grab the metal portion! Even grabbing the glass with plastic tools will possibly crack the glass.
oh i know and he knows, and no he's not blond, but it was clearly a "special moment" lmao... and no he will never live it down... like the lawnmower incident...

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

4252700-3.jpg

buy 2 of them. I just tried to open a new super tank mini today that just refused to budge. So I put one of these at each end, placed the allen key through the air flow to stop its continuous twisting, and finally managed to get it open after trying for half an hour. Once you get the seal or whatever broken on these then it should be easier to open when you go to replace the coil. New ones however are a pita. And when you reassemble, put the coil in the bottom piece first and really tighten it. After I got it all done and filled with ejuice, I got a 'no atty' msg from my battery. grrr. the coil was not tightened enough. Be sure it cannot go in any further.

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
[QUOTE="MsShona, can't open
So what gives? Are all of these sub ohm tanks impossible to open? [/QUOTE]

Hi MsShona, Your the closest to me that I've seen here on ECF :thumbs:
If you don't have, I would take Steve's advice and get Channellock pliers - some of these devices have "issues" (like my Kanger mega with a very narrow piece of metal) that only my pliers will tighten.
Lowes carries Channellock and they will last a lifetime, are Made in the USA and made in Meadville,PA.

THE BEST TOOLS ARE MADE CLOSE TO HOME
Our tools are made with pride in the U.S.A. Founded in 1886, CHANNELLOCK, Inc. is a worldwide leader in the manufacturing of high-quality pliers and assorted hand tools. Your purchase of CHANNELLOCK® guarantees you are receiving the highest quality product available and provides support for the U.S. economy. We are proud to employ over 350 people in our Meadville, Pennsylvania, factory and we are proud to contribute to our local, state and U.S. economy. Thank you for your support of our products.

558646_2000x2000.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Personally, I wouldn't use channel locks or anything metal on the super tanks or the mini's. Reason is that 1st. the finish in them mars very easily, and 2nd the metal on the mini's is so thin you can bend them easily even if you have a towel covering the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread