I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
I'm kinda surprised that you are upset with your doctor. After all.. s/he doesn't decide what your insurance will cover.

I understand that, I'm just mad that like a GOOD doctor would if they CARED about their patients, they would refer them to a place that could help them. Not just a "sorry I can't help you, see you later" How is that for caring? Seriously?

Ok so I have county insurance and being treated as an assembly line, its STILL wrong!

tims

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
PA, USA
I agree with you ladysolitary85, it should not matter what insurance you have, but the truth is medicaid make DR's stay on the phone all the time. And wait to get paid over 2 years and even then, they only pay them a small part of what they are owed.

But that is not any reason to take it out on some one, if they are willing to take medicaid then they, should treat them like anyone else. People don't get how bad medicaid has become, most DR's only take a few people on medicaid, and some will not take it no matter what.

And people with medicaid are treated 2nd rate anymore, it's hard to blame DR's because of how medicaid plans treat them, and really how can anyone blame the DR's, it's gotten very bad with signs of only getting much worst, DR's turn people away with the medicaid card all the time anymore.

Last edited:

Milano

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Long Island, N.Y.
10 years ago, when I was 16, my doctor offered to write me a prescription for some patches or other stop smoking aides. Now.. that WAS 10 years ago, so I don't know if this is still possible.. but I would've thought it'd be.

Most companies/doctors are happy to deal with Medicaid if thats what you have, because Medicaid pays quicker than other companies such as Empire, Aetna, etc.

Needless to say, I'd find yourself a different doctor. Maybe she can't really get anything for you.. but that's a terrible way to treat a patient. I don't care how smart they are or what board certifications they have.. I want good manners first. Hence, my doctor is an 87 year old guy who went to elementry school with my grandfather, whom is also his patient (of course). Well, he's also a great gastrointestinologist too. His office might seem old, and the equipment a bit archaic looking.. but he knows his stuff, and really cares!

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
What your insurance covers has NOTHING to do with what a doctor can prescribe. She may give you advice on what she believes to be the best course of action if you request a cheap/affordable alternative, but her first suggestion should always be with your health in mind.

I'd find another doctor, clearly the bureaucracy has gotten to her.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
10 years ago, when I was 16, my doctor offered to write me a prescription for some patches or other stop smoking aides. Now.. that WAS 10 years ago, so I don't know if this is still possible.. but I would've thought it'd be.

Most companies/doctors are happy to deal with Medicaid if thats what you have, because Medicaid pays quicker than other companies such as Empire, Aetna, etc.

Needless to say, I'd find yourself a different doctor. Maybe she can't really get anything for you.. but that's a terrible way to treat a patient. I don't care how smart they are or what board certifications they have.. I want good manners first. Hence, my doctor is an 87 year old guy who went to elementry school with my grandfather, whom is also his patient (of course). Well, he's also a great gastrointestinologist too. His office might seem old, and the equipment a bit archaic looking.. but he knows his stuff, and really cares!

Exactly, I really wish there were more caring doctors out there. It just upsets me that mine is more concern that my insurance (lower the medicaid but kinda the same deal) then being concern about my health. Not only that but she really had no freakin clue about my health and quickly dismissed bronchitis and assumed I had allergies... well I'm not coughing anymore( or barely at the time) and my voice is almost completely back. Next time I walk in there and go see her and if they ask me one thing about my smoking habit I'll just tell them, "No I don't smoke, I'm using my electric cigarette and that's given me more help then you have."

Well I prolly wont be THAT mean and say that, but thats definitely what I'd like to say.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I live in rural Louisiana so we have a lot of Medicaid recipients. We have a rural health clinic and hospital. They accept Medicaid and they don't pay that good but neither does Medicare and even private insurances . Most doctors don't even look at what your payment source is. They let their iinsurance and collections department handle this. The doctors that do look at your payment source is in it more for the money than care.

Medicare drug benefits does not usually cover Chantix but my doctor called and got it approved. Of course it didn't work. I think at one time the patch was by prescription only.

Yuo can go to Nicoderm CQ website and they have a free sample plus $7 coupon. Also if you quit smoking you should be able to afford the patch. Cigarrest has a free 90 days supply. They usually cost $5 for 13 days supply and $15 for a 40 day supply.

These are relatively cheap plus you an get some free. If you can stop smoking using these you would save quit a bit of money.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com

Junebug

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Georgia, USA
The patches, lozenges, and gum used to be prescription only. When they became over the counter items, the prices did go down, and many insurance providers still allowed prescriptions for a year or so after they went public, then they justified not covering it because the cost of the patches was comparable to the cost of cigarettes for the same time frame as the cessation treatments. Welbutrin, is prescribed instead of brand Zyban, because generic is cheaper than brand and all the advertising that is included. Chantix, has a warning label on it, the side effects are harsher than Welbutrin.
As for your doctor, I would change her out. This one is burned out and not taking the time to listen to you, or look over your chart properly. Every doctor wants their patients to recognize the ill effects smoking causes to the body. If this doctor just says, that your insurance won't cover smoking cessation and doesn't ask more questions as to what you have tried, or willing to try she is a weak ineffectual doctor. If anything she should have given you a pamphlet for CA govt funded cessation programs.

cassavetes

Moved On
Aug 6, 2009
Michigan
It must differ with diff insurance, my insurance wont cover the gum but will cover wellbutrin and chantix with a 20 co pay.

Same goes with my insurance, BC/BS. The wellbutrin, which I originally used to treat depression when I was 15 (13 years ago) was also being prescribed to get me off of smokes. Didn't work, as I continued to smoke until early last year.

Save your money on doctor visits and ridiculous surcharges, and spend it on liquid or the stop smoking aid of your choice.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Originally Posted by Scottbee
I'm kinda surprised that you are upset with your doctor. After all.. s/he doesn't decide what your insurance will cover.

seriously... grow up!
What was that for? I had the same question until she made it clear that the doctor was only concerned about the payment and didn't make any other suggestions for her. Cut him some slack. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it amazes me that insurance companies will drop you or penalize you if you smoke, but won't cover smoking cessation products. Probably because they know they only have a 7% success rate and if used long term, will end up costing them money!

I think it's very sweet of Jules to offer to send you some 24mg liquid!! :thumb:

Lab

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Indiana
e-cigdecals.weebly.com
have you looked into mixing your own juice.. it cuts the cost a lot.. ends up being around half the cost..

also check ebay out for the gum and lozenge, they are less than half the price as in the store.

the health care is ....ed up.. in chicago no help with nic gum but if you are a ...... addict you can go and get bags of free needles and a bag of cotton balls and a nice little aluminum cooking spoon

Lab

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Indiana
e-cigdecals.weebly.com
have you looked into mixing your own juice.. it cuts the cost a lot.. ends up being around half the cost..

also check ebay out for the gum and lozenge, they are less than half the price as in the store.

the health care is ....ed up.. in chicago no help with nic gum but if you are a ...... addict you can go and get bags of free needles and a bag of cotton balls and a nice little aluminum cooking spoon

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
That's just not right. My doc wrote me the prescription for my Chantix, BC/BS covered everything but 60.00. I figured at that cost it must be from heaven. Nope, the drug from HE11. Never finished the first script. Bad news stuff.
Switched over to another bc/bs program and the application no longer asks if you are a smoker. Threw me for a loop.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Last edited:

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
If the issue is that insurance pays for prescription drugs but not non prescription, Nicorette Inhalers, both the oral and nasal are still by prescription. They're more like smoking than anything else except e-cigs. In fact the nasal gives one a nic rush faster than vaping. If insurance won't pay for them, they are very expensive in the US.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
See this is why I love you guys because your all very supportive.

Kristen - Exactly, I mean I know doctors have to make their living too but I would hope if they can't help me then they would care enough to give me some advice, referrals, numbers anything. That's all I wanted from my doctor, show me you care enough to talk about this with me. Instead she was more concern for my "allergy" problem that wont even hit me till late spring, early summer. *sighs* Yep I think I need a new doctor lol

Jules and cassavetes - Seriously, thank you it means the world to me. I absolutely LOVE vaping and I need to get back into it again.

Everyone else - Your all awesome! thanks for once again listening to my rant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread