I don't get how some can vape at such high wattages..help me out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzmike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
United States
Alright, it may sound a bit stupid and may not even be important to me, but I have been wondering for quite some time now. I have been vaping (and also cigarette-free bc of it) for about 4 years now. Usual progression..ciga-like (sucked), Evod, some kind of Sigelei box mod, then moved on to a Nemesis mech mod (liked, but missed the VV/VW settings), Kanger Subox, and have been on an Innoken Disrupter, which has been my favorite, for about a year and a half. The batteries are now giving up the ghost and they are a bit hard to come by so going back to an 18650 box mod by way of the tesla steampunk 120W. I am not getting it for the high wattage, but rather for the dual-battery, on/off switch, and of course the look.

Have almost exclusively used Kanger tanks (all the kinds) and progressed up through those as well. Have been using a Subtank Nano for a really long time now and I think for me it is just simplicity and the fact that the coils are super cheap and easy to deal with.

See, here is the thing though - I always get the 1.2ohm coils and never usually go above 17.5 watts and usually stay at about 16.5 with this setup. Blend is 50/50 and flavor is OK. I like a little bit of a tighter draw, but not too tight.

Of course this setup is not getting anywhere close to clouds, but it has been acceptable to me. I am no cloud chase by any means, but any time I have tried to fiddle and ramp things up just to see what I can do, I can't handle it - it is always WAY too hot (and also burnt tasting, but I know this is because of the coil material and wick size mainly). I prefer a cooler to warmer vape, but can't stand the hot vape...reminds me of when you aren't paying attention and would smoke an analog right up against the ....!

So, I do understand there is quite a bit of science (or engineering, rather I guess?) to getting more vapor, but either I am missing something and larger vapor production can be achieved without hellfire temps or that is the only way to do it, which means it isn't for me. What am I missing here?

Oh, one more important note, I am mouth to lung..I rarely do a lung hit. Having come from smoking cigarettes it is more closely related to long-developed habit and preference.

Thanks!

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
The more airflow while firing keeps the coil cooler= more vapour, higher power and longer puff before overheating.

Mouth to lung inhales requires low airflow= coil heats up faster at lower power setting.

Basically sub ohm requires more airflow so MTL is pretty much out.
The lower the resistance coil along with larger more complex windings (more wire) take huge amounts of power to warm up to vape temperature.

Over simplified.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Alright, it may sound a bit stupid and may not even be important to me, but I have been wondering for quite some time now. I have been vaping (and also cigarette-free bc of it) for about 4 years now. Usual progression..ciga-like (sucked), Evod, some kind of Sigelei box mod, then moved on to a Nemesis mech mod (liked, but missed the VV/VW settings), Kanger Subox, and have been on an Innoken Disrupter, which has been my favorite, for about a year and a half. The batteries are now giving up the ghost and they are a bit hard to come by so going back to an 18650 box mod by way of the tesla steampunk 120W. I am not getting it for the high wattage, but rather for the dual-battery, on/off switch, and of course the look.

Have almost exclusively used Kanger tanks (all the kinds) and progressed up through those as well. Have been using a Subtank Nano for a really long time now and I think for me it is just simplicity and the fact that the coils are super cheap and easy to deal with.

See, here is the thing though - I always get the 1.2ohm coils and never usually go above 17.5 watts and usually stay at about 16.5 with this setup. Blend is 50/50 and flavor is OK. I like a little bit of a tighter draw, but not too tight.

Of course this setup is not getting anywhere close to clouds, but it has been acceptable to me. I am no cloud chase by any means, but any time I have tried to fiddle and ramp things up just to see what I can do, I can't handle it - it is always WAY too hot (and also burnt tasting, but I know this is because of the coil material and wick size mainly). I prefer a cooler to warmer vape, but can't stand the hot vape...reminds me of when you aren't paying attention and would smoke an analog right up against the ....!

So, I do understand there is quite a bit of science (or engineering, rather I guess?) to getting more vapor, but either I am missing something and larger vapor production can be achieved without hellfire temps or that is the only way to do it, which means it isn't for me. What am I missing here?

Oh, one more important note, I am mouth to lung..I rarely do a lung hit. Having come from smoking cigarettes it is more closely related to long-developed habit and preference.

Thanks!
nah... you get more vapor from surface, which, the math is that this is done by smaller wire and more wraps, but, it's just that some people just loves to use hanger wire for some reason, then do the gazillions micro gauge for Clapton.

The possibilities are near endless, but it's to do with the type of vaping experience that you want out of your setup.

Your setup isn't going to work well at high wattage... it's simply that depending on the build, you can have a huge mass of wire that requires lots of wattage, but done right, you can do a built that will vape just as much as 1/2 the wattage (or even 1/4), but, the experience will be slightly different, and the temperature won't be very different at all.

My normal wattage is around 45W for just about any build I do, with SS316L 26/28 gauge, but I also use temp control that balances that warmth (and the wattage is only about how fast it reaches the TC setting).

On my dripper, I can go from 30W to 70W (non TC) with the same coil and the difference will be that at 70W, I have to inhale a LOT faster to keep it cool, and hence, can fog a room in 3-4 puffs.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Just to add, I do coils that are anywhere from as low as 0.2 ohm, and some as high as 0.9ohm, and the difference is actually very small... I just have to adjust my settings a bit and get about the same experience, so it's really just about how you build and how you set it.

shelzmike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
United States
Great responses, thanks. So I may have made my initial post too drawn out. I suppose what i am asking in summary is it possible to get larger clouds without a necessary increase in temperature, or does one come with the other by default. Sounds like it is possible, but needs to be played with a bit. I may do some more research just to see what I can figure out.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Great responses, thanks. So I may have made my initial post too drawn out. I suppose what i am asking in summary is it possible to get larger clouds without a necessary increase in temperature, or does one come with the other by default. Sounds like it is possible, but needs to be played with a bit. I may do some more research just to see what I can figure out.
As I stated, it's got to do with surface area.. the more surface, the more liquid is vapourized.

And yes, you can get a huge cloud from a built that doesn't need more than 40-70W... it depends on the gauge of your wire for the most part, and absolutely requires good wicking and airflow.

Reactions: Tonee N

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
As Davie stated more VG contributes to more cloud. I recently messed up an order and wound up with 50/50 VG/PG and aside from Anemic Clouds I do not think it is as flavorful as my High or MAX VG blends. Just my personal observations and not a scientific study.

Last edited:
Reactions: daviedog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread