I don't like "Electronic-Cigarette"

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Papajohns, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Papajohns

Papajohns Senior Member ECF Veteran

I have many problems with the term "Electronic-Cigarette". First of all, the word Cigarette has countless negative connotations attached to it, no matter what. Calling my device a Cigarette in any way, shape or form, is insulting.

Second, these devices work in completely different ways than stinkies, the only chemical they have in common is Nicotine.

Third, I believe that most of the backlash against these devices is from the fact that they are automatically related to cigarettes to those who are uneducated about them. The fact that BT companies are making Cig-a-likes, only adds to the confusion.

I tend to refer to my device as a personal vaporizer. I feel this term is much more accurate to describe what the devices are, without association with a demonized product.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

2. Completely Average

Completely Average Vaping Master ECF Veteran

My wife calls hers her PD because she's constantly sucking on it.

(PV = Personal Vaporizer, you figure out what the D is...)

3. Peepaw

Peepaw Stray Cat Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I call mine my little friend.:vapor:

4. justjennifer

justjennifer Full Member

I had someone call it an Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device (ENDD) the other day.

5. Blue Sage

Blue Sage Full Member

I'd have to call mine an EVDD -Vapor... since I don't always include Nicotine in the vapes.

6. Fisheeboy

Fisheeboy Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I tend to call it a vaporizer especially when people ask me what it is. But then the next question they almost always ask is ,what's in it? or what are you vaporizing? Maybe cause I live in colorful Colorado people are quick to assume there is something in it other than nicotine liquid stuff. So then I say "it's an e-cigarette, it's just nicotine" and I see the little light turn on because now they understand what it is. yep it sucks referring to as any type of cigarette but unfortunately that's pretty much what they are known as. Even though those of us who use them know better.

7. RainyDazed

RainyDazed Full Member

I agree with you - I find myself calling it my VAPE because I gave up cigarettes and started vaping

8. VapieDan

VapieDan Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I agree however it is a strong marketing tactic to get cigarette users to try it. After all it is a "cigarette". From that point on I believe it is a negative since it associates these devices with tobacco cigarettes. This adds support to the Antis with the "Looks like a cigarette therefore it should be treated as one".

9. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I have never been that happy with e-cigarette, e-cig, vape, PV, or APV. Maybe I could try e-analog or Shirley.

Nah, I'll stick with "the Sigelei".

10. OldSeer

OldSeer Super Member ECF Veteran

Whether we like it or not... we are and will continue to be seen as cohorts of
    of the cancer causing deadly Enemy Cigarettes as long as we say we use their analog name.
    We're not saying we vape to the general public. We're saying we use cigarettes electrically.

What a difference a simple change and a little courage would make if we just plain told the truth
    and said we are E-Vaping

Edit: By say we told... I mean change all our advertising and listing etc. ... what a difference a few wordings could and would make in such a short period of time... but, again it would take courage
    to change our image...

11. JTrain23

JTrain23 Senior Member ECF Veteran

PV works for me too.

12. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Personal Electric Nicotine Inhalant System

13. Papajohns

Papajohns Senior Member ECF Veteran

I just feel the industry has set itself up for backlash because of the close association with cigs. Personally, I would like to see these companies distance themselves from the term.

14. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

PV for me.

15. ablonde1

ablonde1 Full Member Verified Member

Me to, I call it vaping. Now all we need to do is get it in Merriam Webster's dictionary as an actual word. :laugh:

16. Julie W

Julie W Senior Member ECF Veteran

+ 1 for the O.P. :) totally agree, I hate the word ecig too, we must distance ourselves from the whole cig/smoke idea,& yes agreeing it will take a lot to change this you only have look at just how many vendors use either ecig /smoke etc.in their names.Personally I call it my vaper,why complicate life ? :)
    I hate 'analog' as well,but that's just me being 'radical':D

17. patkin

patkin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Well, if you run into an E-Hookah user don't make the mistake of calling it an E-Cigarette!!!! At home, I just call mine my "stick." Everyone knows what I'm looking for. Out and about or with strangers, I call it a PV.

18. tazzle

tazzle Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I like "vaper," though it can be confusing since the person vaping is also a "vaper." Still it seems the most natural to me, and I've been mostly avoiding calling it anything because I hate "e-cig" so much. At home, I've been calling it "my device," because, hey, steampunk!

Ima go with "vaper" day to day, I think. Online, maybe "PV," or "personal vaporizer" in places where people wouldn't know what a PV was.

Words are hard!

19. The Ministry

The Ministry
    Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I usually get grief from work colleagues who smoke "smaller" devices to me.

When asked "what the hell is that?" (Vamo V5 18650 mode) I usually reply

"my heavy, metal, baton" whilst gently patting it in my hand grinning like an idiot.

One of them just bought one...

I jest, but yeah...I hear you. I generally call it my "vape" and if they take the mick, I shrug and vape more. If they are generally curious I point out the advantages over the cig likes and let them decide if it's for them.

20. gofishtx

gofishtx Senior Member ECF Veteran

I call mine, "My Fogger", I used to call it my smoky, but that just seemed wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.