I don't like "Electronic-Cigarette"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papajohns

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
LB, CA, USA
I have many problems with the term "Electronic-Cigarette". First of all, the word Cigarette has countless negative connotations attached to it, no matter what. Calling my device a Cigarette in any way, shape or form, is insulting.

Second, these devices work in completely different ways than stinkies, the only chemical they have in common is Nicotine.

Third, I believe that most of the backlash against these devices is from the fact that they are automatically related to cigarettes to those who are uneducated about them. The fact that BT companies are making Cig-a-likes, only adds to the confusion.

I tend to refer to my device as a personal vaporizer. I feel this term is much more accurate to describe what the devices are, without association with a demonized product.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
I tend to call it a vaporizer especially when people ask me what it is. But then the next question they almost always ask is ,what's in it? or what are you vaporizing? Maybe cause I live in colorful Colorado people are quick to assume there is something in it other than nicotine liquid stuff. So then I say "it's an e-cigarette, it's just nicotine" and I see the little light turn on because now they understand what it is. yep it sucks referring to as any type of cigarette but unfortunately that's pretty much what they are known as. Even though those of us who use them know better.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I have many problems with the term "Electronic-Cigarette". First of all, the word Cigarette has countless negative connotations attached to it, no matter what. Calling my device a Cigarette in any way, shape or form, is insulting.

Second, these devices work in completely different ways than stinkies, the only chemical they have in common is Nicotine.

Third, I believe that most of the backlash against these devices is from the fact that they are automatically related to cigarettes to those who are uneducated about them. The fact that BT companies are making Cig-a-likes, only adds to the confusion.

I tend to refer to my device as a personal vaporizer. I feel this term is much more accurate to describe what the devices are, without association with a demonized product.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

I agree however it is a strong marketing tactic to get cigarette users to try it. After all it is a "cigarette". From that point on I believe it is a negative since it associates these devices with tobacco cigarettes. This adds support to the Antis with the "Looks like a cigarette therefore it should be treated as one".

OldSeer

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Sun's Shadow, USA
Whether we like it or not... we are and will continue to be seen as cohorts of
of the cancer causing deadly Enemy Cigarettes as long as we say we use their analog name.
We're not saying we vape to the general public. We're saying we use cigarettes electrically.

What a difference a simple change and a little courage would make if we just plain told the truth
and said we are E-Vaping

Edit: By say we told... I mean change all our advertising and listing etc. ... what a difference a few wordings could and would make in such a short period of time... but, again it would take courage
to change our image...

Last edited:

Julie W

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
+ 1 for the O.P. :) totally agree, I hate the word ecig too, we must distance ourselves from the whole cig/smoke idea,& yes agreeing it will take a lot to change this you only have look at just how many vendors use either ecig /smoke etc.in their names.Personally I call it my vaper,why complicate life ? :)
I hate 'analog' as well,but that's just me being 'radical':D

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I like "vaper," though it can be confusing since the person vaping is also a "vaper." Still it seems the most natural to me, and I've been mostly avoiding calling it anything because I hate "e-cig" so much. At home, I've been calling it "my device," because, hey, steampunk!

Ima go with "vaper" day to day, I think. Online, maybe "PV," or "personal vaporizer" in places where people wouldn't know what a PV was.

Words are hard!

The Ministry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Cramlington, Northumberland, UK
I usually get grief from work colleagues who smoke "smaller" devices to me.

When asked "what the hell is that?" (Vamo V5 18650 mode) I usually reply

"my heavy, metal, baton" whilst gently patting it in my hand grinning like an idiot.

One of them just bought one...

I jest, but yeah...I hear you. I generally call it my "vape" and if they take the mick, I shrug and vape more. If they are generally curious I point out the advantages over the cig likes and let them decide if it's for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread