I don't understand the Magma hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_dabz

Jul 24, 2013
Peoria, AZ, USA
The magma was the first rda I bought a year ago. I did a good amount of research and that seemed like the best option... at the time. But its one year and about a thousand rda's later and people are still talking up the magma on all the threads. Ok the magma was a decent atty a year ago but it never blew me away. It leaked like a faucet and airflow was super restrictive. With all the advancements in airflow lately I dont get how so many people are still hyping up an outdated rda when personally I think the freakshow mini is 10x better and i've only had it for 2 days.

Reactions: DaveSignal

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I believe the Magma is still relevant in today's market if you place more value into flavor production than vapor production.

The airflow is adjustable and adequate for flavor production. Airflow is brought in through the sides of the device and then released underneath the coils via channels inside the deck. This releases air to the coils in a way more similar to the Kayfun Lite or Russian 91%. Most conventional RDA’s bring the air in near the side of the coil which changes the direction as it leaves the top. You do loose a little bit of vapor production with the Magma RDA design, but you gain a more intense flavor.

dj_dabz

Jul 24, 2013
Peoria, AZ, USA
So what is an ideal build for ultimate flavor on the magma? If i can find the right build maybe i'll dust her off and give it another go. But when i think back to when i was using it I really don't recall ever getting crazy flavor that just blew me socks off. I'm currently using the freakshow mini which has bottom airflow like the magma, just a .... ton more of it. I was really worried it was going to leak with those huge cyclops holes right under the coil but unlike my magma I have had no leaking issues thus far and the flavor is uhhhmazing

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I agree with OP. I have tons of RDAs, but my authentic Magma would be one of the very last I would consider if I felt like using something I haven't touched in awhile.

If you build it low, juice will pop in your mouth. You need to suck the life out of it to get vapor, kind of like pulling on a cigalike. It doesn't fit chuff caps or any kind of alternate top cap. Its been around for ages and there are so many more advanced atomizers for both flavor and vapor production. Its expensive.

It does come in a unique box though.... if any new vapers are looking for a nice box. For anyone looking for a great atomizer to go with the box, however, there are many newer and superior options.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
For me, its my flavor tester as I'm very much an RTA maniac. I haven't felt any need to replace it. I'm sure there might be better RDAs out there, but I'm perfectly happy with it. I have a Veritas and Plume Veil as well, but like the Magma better. I have a Cyclone and Divo for my Reo.

I've had it on a mech for a long time now. Single 26g coil, 6 wraps on a 2.4mm bit. When I ran it regulated I had it in the 1.1 ohm range, and ran around 20W. I don't know if those are the best builds, but they suit me :)

Reactions: 5spike

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'm not an "extreme vaper". RTA's, I'm usually around an ohm (on regulated mods) and I don't like to go much below .4 ohms with an RDA on a mech.

I've had my Magma for a while, and I still really enjoy it a lot. For me, I pretty much go the way Heavy_H2O sets it up. 27 or 28 gauge, 2 - 2.5 mm ID, ~0.5 ohm.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I like fhe origen better

But like the one post stated,

Not EVERYONE likes wide open airflow and cloud chasing, and flavor drippers existed looooooong before that was a thing.

It's funny sometimes how many people seem to forget we aren't all into sucking on a paper towl roll when it comes to airflow just because thats what they like.

dj_dabz

Jul 24, 2013
Peoria, AZ, USA
So i just built a 24g dual coil 8 wrap for the magma. Threw it on my ipv mini 2 and tried a bunch of different wattage settings from 10-50 and still, couldn't find the sweet spot where the flavor just blew me away. I feel like i get just as good or better flavor out of most of my other rdas. Oh I never mentioned it's an Infinite clone, not authentic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread